do you prefer classical music(orchestrated) or new age music(rock,jazz,r&b,hip hop/pop,rap,etc.)

Metal is just classical music with electricity and distortion. The more extreme it becomes, the closer to classical it gets.

Classical music was some of the first music I was exposed to. This might explain my love for most music.
Seriously, how can one not thoroughly enjoy Flight of the Bumblebee, Sabre Dance, or Fur Elise? They are all magical, iconic classical tunes. Beethoven's 5th also.

pretty much this...some other "metal" classical stuff for me is;

Respighi - Pines Of Rome
Dvorak - New World Symphony
Saint-Seans - Danse Macabre
Shostakovich - Symph #5
Wagner - anything from The Ring

I remember being 15 and playing timpani with a professional orchestra in a joint concert with my youth orchestra. There was a trumpet solo, and the trumpet section was about 5 feet away. After listening to middle-school trumpet players for 5 years, that moment changed my LIFE. Recordings simply canā€™t do justice to the experience of sitting a couple feet from a real professional player of their instrument. I was hooked from that day on. Those moments are why people spend 20 years practicing 7 hours a day so they can win a big orchestra job. It just hooks you like a fish, if you have that specific personality that is built for that experience.

for me, this same thing happened during a run I did with a small scale symphony here in town...they did Alfred Reeds Russian Christmas Music, and I was that single guy on the concert bass...and there are a few passages where there were 9 french horns playing louder than any amplifier i had ever stood in front of. It was so epic I actually teared up because of how clean and powerful it was. To this day, it is one of my most favorite compositions regardless of genre....absolute METAL in every way

classical music has always been a huge thing for me because id it wasn't for classical music then they're may of never been rock n roll!!!

For playing, I prefer blues and jazz. That's the drummer in me.

For listening I really like classical as well as jazz (big band, swing, jazz with a melody and less bop-ish. Count Basie more than Max Roach).

If I preferred playing classical to other genres, I'd be on Percussionistworld Forums lol.

yes.

Classical music is usually irritating to me. I can't drum with it. I can listen to it for short periods. It's like a fly on the tip of your nose while sitting in the back of a hot cop car, arrested for loitering.
I like classical music inspired pieces for example Lidnsey Stirling's "The Arena" You can definitely drum to that one.. I like the version that she does with the guitar player guy.... I forgot his name but it gives it little more impact than with the violin alone. If you just groove to the song it's ok, but if you were to add Travis Barker style rolls it becomes way more fun to play. (by the way I am NOT a fan of Travis but I do think that sometimes he comes up with decent rolls so in order to be fair I'll give him that).

If I *do* go see a symphony performance, I need about a 48 hr notice - to prepare to sit quietly, bodily functions in order, phone turned off, for a lengthy couple of hours.

On the contrary, a rock concert I can make as much noise as I want, well during the chorus that is LOL.
My ex wife could not understand how me being a musician didn't like musicals.... To me, musicals are just too over the top and the music was not something that I enjoyed listening to. There was one musical that I wish I could've seen because it was about the history of Tarzan but the music was played by a heavy metal band, and all the songs were performed by the actors having the band as backup singers. It actually worked.. I guess I am not opposed to musicals anymore but I have to find the performances inspiring (for example the singer has to be very good think Morrisette Amon singing Anul Ku Na Lang). Look her up, what she can do will shock you and she is doing it while sitting down!...

I like classical music inspired pieces for example Lidnsey Stirling's "The Arena" You can definitely drum to that one.
There's also the infectious factor. If I like it then what happens if I can't stop listening? My guesstimate was 0.01% of my current listening regimen. I would think anything above 20% is going to start impacting my playing in the styles I like to play.

That works for about a few hours in the month of December. Classical music has its place, don't get me wrong. I will go see a concert when I have the funds and I'm near an event.

But I don't listen to classical music to any degree that I do everything else. Probably less than 0.01%.

I also don't understand this love affair my fellow drummers seem to be having right now for it, especially in a world that's getting more stark with climate change, global pandemics, wars, diminishing natural resources, etc. The emotions from classical music are just too immense to be wasted on these times. Perhaps we should all be listening to heavy metal in the near future. We come home from a shitty job, making shitty pay, with nothing but corruptness on our television sets. It's now illegal to give someone water whose been standing in line for 12 hours to vote. What's next, the purge? That solves population growth. What better music than some Dawn of Demise to prepare you for battle? Life is no longer a game anymore. It's a goddamn battle.

Whoa, I'm all about metal but I am not in that train that everyone seems to be taking these days.. The depression train. I know we have been isolated for over a year, not a big deal to me I deploy and when we deploy we are isolated. Yes I was in a ship with 800 people out of which none are my friends. I worked for so many hours that I didn't see sunlight for 3 months until I had to make it a point to go outside and see the sun in the morning. (basically get up go meet with the division get a list of to do's for the day, get busy, go to lunch, continue until around 7, 8 pm then get ready for watch, by the time I walked outside it was dark)...Life onboard turns into a very repetitive and miserable day over and over for months. It is easy to get depressed in that environment... IF you don't see the end of the tunnel. To me it is better to have a shitty job than to not have a job.
And why are we NON millenials allowing Cancel culture to be a thing? why are we not fighting back all this political correctness? I agree some things needed to change but when you are cancelling a cartoon because it offends you... please.... and population will take care of itself, if you don't believe me watch the movie idiocracy. It is intended to be a funny movie, but the writer didn't even know how accurate his prediction of the future would be.
Metal is in MY life because when I get upset or sad all I have to do is crank some metal get the frustration out of my system with some songs and I immediately fell better afterwards and all is good. I could not do that with any other type of music. now you want to piss me off, play some rap or country then I will want to hit you. (or even maybe some sappy pop breathe on the mic music of today).

My ex wife could not understand how me being a musician didn't like musicals.... To me, musicals are just too over the top and the music was not something that I enjoyed listening to. There was one musical that I wish I could've seen because it was about the history of Tarzan but the music was played by a heavy metal band, and all the songs were performed by the actors having the band as backup singers. It actually worked.. I guess I am not opposed to musicals anymore but I have to find the performances inspiring (for example the singer has to be very good think Morrisette Amon singing Anul Ku Na Lang). Look her up, what she can do will shock you and she is doing it while sitting down!...

I also do not like musicals, even though I regularly play in pit orchestras all the time. Definitely over the top, and often times too corny for me, but it is fun to play, and pit orchestra books are SUPER challenging sometimes from a logistics and organization standpoint, and I like that challenge.

The only musical I like is West Side Story because the music itself is phenomenal...

I know I am in a very unique minority in that I do not think that Hamilton is good...I think it is pretty trite actually. I felt the same way about Rent a few years back...

I originally was taught classical piano when I was a young kid. My teacher was an Israeli concert pianist who taught in her home. She had a beautiful Steinway. She taught me some finger strengthening exercises and worked on proper posture. And she would play two or three pieces and give me the choice of which one I was to learn. We would then spend the next two months learning and perfecting that piece. The problem with this approach was I learned exactly zero theory. I was just learning how to play the notes on a page. As I got older I wanted to try and transition to jazz and rock so I could play in a band. That was a miserable failure. I also had really liked the thought of playing the drums. So when I was 13 my parents gave me the choice of an electric piano or drums. I chose the drums, which ended up being a Slingerland Stage Band 4 piece kit in white marine pearl. The rest was history. So, I have a deep history with classical music and I truly appreciate the complexity and nuanced beauty of it. But asking which I prefer, nothing moves me like fusion, jazz, funk, r&b and rock.

The only musical I like is West Side Story because the music itself is phenomenal...
What?!? No Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop of Horrors, Mama Mia, Into the Woods, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins, The Wiz, Bugsy Malone, The Blues Brothers, Footloose, every Disney movie, or Baby Driver?

Classical and Greek music are what were playing in my house from a young age, with a bit of contemporary music (for the time), as well.

Later on, when I first heard the Beatles at age 9, it was Rock 'n Roll for me, in all its styles and iterations.

Then came Jazz, Fusion, World Music and even Rap.

So, I can say I love and listen to almost all of it, either one genre at a time or all of it at once...

...except Musicals. I really don't care for them at all, to be honest.

Oh, and Contemporary Christian Music as mentioned above. I joined a church last year to volunteer some of my time. I'm not religious by any means, but I found some comfort and solace there, and I have to admit some of the music we play (both what we were singing in the choir that was there when I started and what we're playing now having morphed into a small church music group) is really beautiful with surprisingly good lyrics. But this CCM that some of the members at the church try to turn me on to... well, it's just not my thing.

What?!? No Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop of Horrors, Mama Mia, Into the Woods, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mary Poppins, The Wiz, Bugsy Malone, The Blues Brothers, Footloose, every Disney movie, or Baby Driver?
Yup, none of it. The only one that I ever enjoyed was Fiddler on the Roof.

And Baby Driver's not a musical. YOU, of all people, ought to know that!

Last edited:
And Baby Driver's not a musical. YOU, of all people, ought to know that!
I'm throwing it in there because the music is vastly important to the action. There might not be singing and dancing, but the music and choreography are in sync throughout the whole film. Its more thought out than just putting a rocking song under an action sequence. To me that screams musical.

I'm throwing it in there because the music is vastly important to the action. There might not be singing and dancing, but the music and choreography are in sync throughout the whole film. Its more thought out than just putting a rocking song under an action sequence. To me that screams musical.
I know. I recall maybe having recommended that movie to you in another thread last year. The syncing of sound to action was unlike anything I'd seen and heard before.

But I still can't consider it a musical, lest I'm forced to reconsider my worldview and everything I hold to be true.

I also do not like musicals, even though I regularly play in pit orchestras all the time. Definitely over the top, and often times too corny for me, but it is fun to play, and pit orchestra books are SUPER challenging sometimes from a logistics and organization standpoint, and I like that challenge.

I know I am in a very unique minority in that I do not think that Hamilton is good...I think it is pretty trite actually. I felt the same way about Rent a few years back...

Hating on Rent? For real, dawg?

I canā€™t even.

I know. I recall maybe having recommended that movie to you in another thread last year. The syncing of sound to action was unlike anything I'd seen and heard before.
I think maybe you did. Someone did. That movie just blows me away because of the music.

blech to all of that!!! And I have been in productions of many of those in the PO, on drums and bass....

Hating on Rent? For real, dawg?

I canā€™t even.

yep. Told ya. Very small minority. And I am also the guy who is not thrilled with Bonham, Ringo, Charlie Watts and Kieth Moon either...for my age group, that is also shocking to most.

Back