Do you plan on buying yourself anything drum-related for Christmas?

Do you know if they ever came from the factory that way? Or someone maybe did a chrome wrap.
On your way to a nice set there if you can find a floor tom.

X-mas is a definite maybe for me.
Yes ..... it's a factory wrap. '78/'79 were the only two years of the split lugs on the 9000 series. In 1980, they got the long high tension lug and became the Recording Custom. There's a 16x16 out there, right now, but I really want a 14x14. So I play the waiting game.

I have a fresh batch of sticks coming from Pellwood and fresh heads.

Been contemplating getting a 10x7 Saturn V tom and going 2 up 1 down and open handed.

Tama Starphonic Maple snare at a local pawn shop I’m hoping is still around by the holidays. I’ll have to talk them down to afford it and the story might make for a good thread.

Honestly, no; I'm pretty much set on drum gear unless I find an 18 or 20" Sea Blue Fade BCAN kick drum. I wouldn't mind a 90s Les Paul though...

EDIT: Christmas came early, and I'm getting an 80s Japanese Les Paul knockoff.

Last edited:
Last year I picked up few of those Sabian AAX 16/17/18 Concept Crashes that were going for under $100. It was my first foray into Sabian after being a solid Zildjian user my entire drumming life. I bought them without listening because at the time, there were no clips on YouTube or anywhere that I could locate.

If Sabian releases another cymbal at that hot price point, I may consider purchase.

I have 2 kits but one set of cymbal stands/hi-hat stand. My kid plays on my second (older) kit, but there's only one cymbal stand on it. I'd like to buy a second set of hardware without breaking the bank to complete the other kit because Lord knows I have enough cymbals to complete it.

Probably not. Earlier this year I added a Ludwig Zep kit to my collection and a half dozen new Meinl cymbals as well. I have probably exceeded my drumming budget for a while.

Apart from the obvious I have ben considering getting a remote hi-hat and an extra L80 ride, so that I can more easily practice ambidextriously. Having found my preferred pads I'll also be getting some duplicates of those just so they're always easily accessible.

Yep been needing a new hardware bag for ages I've got my eye on one of these.

Getting a kit built. C&C PD2 in gray glitter. Nit exactly my “dream kit”, because they make higher end models, but those wouldn’t be in my budget. But it’s definitely my dream company. Been into C&C for a few years now finally going to have one of those, pretty much thrilled beyond belief right now.

It's almost Christmas and I need a new throne-my trusty RocNSoc hydraulic is all hydraulic out-it keeps drifting down when I play-so now I'm playing it way low-though oddly I like it. It would make a great gift from the wife and kids. If I can sell all my kits except my one good snare-I'd ask for a Gretsch Renown kit. I gotta be pathetic and drumless so the gift is warranted-I'm not worthy in my best Wayne's World voice. I like my other kits but they gotta be sacrificed for common good-or at least my good LOL. I got Gretsch Acquisiton Syndrome and there's only one cure. Just listening to a Walnut Gretsch Renown that sounds thunderous. I wanna I wanna-in my best Robert Plant voice. Hee,hee,hee.

Not right now. I have too much stuff as it is. I have 6 shell packs and more cymbals and snares than I really need though not an absurd amount. Maybe I should sell some stuff for xmas. :unsure:

In case there's any other Ludwig geeks out there who care, here's the difference between the badge on mine and what's currently available. While the changes are subtle, they are still there. Also, Ludwig will not put on a retro badge with a serial number that matches my series. I sent this pic to a Ludwig dealer, hence the question attached.
So, they WON'T put a "regular" Monroe badge on anymore, is that correct?
I'm in the same boat as you are then if I want to add anything.

As to the question, yes I'll get something for myself. I just have to decide what that might be haha!

Last edited:
So, they WON'T put a "regular" Monroe badge on anymore, is that correct?
I'm in the same boat as you are then if I want to add anything.

I'm not too worried about it. I plan to get one made from the Monroe plant, and I'll just live with the updated badge. I guess I could either find an old badge and put it on there, but I'd also considered updating the old badges with new if I feel so inclined. At this point, I'm more worried about the sound than the look. If played alone, the rack tom sounds great, but it seems to lack the "mmmph" a 12" 7-ply maple Ludwig whenever everyone in the band kicks in.

I didn't think of it as a christmas present, but I'll have a 20x16 GMS kick drum coming in piano black with brass hardware coming to me right around that time.
This turns my 6 piece kit into 2, 4 piece kits so it's like getting a whole new kit for christmas.
The kit in the picture will get a more appropriate funky sized kick drum with a white head and coated batter on it. :)

Back