Do you plan on buying yourself anything drum-related for Christmas?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Because I simply cannot find a 12" x 8" 7-ply Ludwig Classic Maple tom at a decent price to go with my kit, I'm thinking I'm going to drop the cash to have one made. The badges won't match exactly, but I really want a tom that matches the looks and sonic properties of the rest of my kit. My current rack tom just doesn't have the "mmmph" that the rest of the kit does. I've been eyeballing matching snares as well, but at this point I'm just taking it one day at a time. I may get a mic stand that's better suited to mic kick drums too so I don't have to drag this silly thing around.

I may buy myself a new record player too (but that's a little off-subject).

Anyone out there looking at buying yourself something drum-related for Christmas this year?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Yes, getting some of those goofy silent cymbals and drum pads that you spend entirely too much on that sound like crap! Got to do it though, there's just no getting around the noise restrictions anymore! :cry:

gish

Drumming purchases I am eyeballing with the end of year bonuses being paid out soon-

- just sold my A medium thin crash yesterday; too high pitched for me. Looking for a smoother replacement (possibly a K dark crash or larger diameter A thin crash)
- might send out my 18x22 bass drum to be cut to 14x22 (IF I am keeping this kit, which I am currently on the fence with)
- IF I have my bass drum cut down I will need a new bag (Ahead or Protection Racket)
- IF I decide to part ways with this kit I will be looking for a replacement; sizes would be 13-16-22 or 24
- I am also tentatively looking for a new snare; looking for a 6 1/2 or 7 inch depth. I have liked the Pork Pie BOB every time I have played one, so I would most likely start the search there. Although the Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare is selling for $90 brand new right now. With upgraded heads and wires I suspect that drum would punch above its weight class. Hmm...

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
In case there's any other Ludwig geeks out there who care, here's the difference between the badge on mine and what's currently available. While the changes are subtle, they are still there. Also, Ludwig will not put on a retro badge with a serial number that matches my series. I sent this pic to a Ludwig dealer, hence the question attached.

Attachments

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
- IF I have my bass drum cut down I will need a new bag (Ahead or Protection Racket)
If you get your kick cut down, wait and see if your current bag will work. I would understand more if it were a hard case you were looking at b/c you don't want your kick bouncing around in there, but a bag shouldn't matter that much. I carry my 20" x 14" kick in my 22" x 18" bag every weekend, and it doesn't swim around too much.

Channing

Yes, getting some of those goofy silent cymbals and drum pads that you spend entirely too much on that sound like crap! Got to do it though, there's just no getting around the noise restrictions anymore! :cry:
I'm getting that too. It's going to be weird but I won't have to leave my house to play drums anymore, so maybe worth it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'd like to get myself a Trick driveshaft for my pedals. Unfortunately I usually spend all my extra money on my wife and kid, so it probably won't happen. I'd rather they be happy and just keep using a sloppy driveshaft. Spending money on myself for something even vaguely expensive makes me feel selfish.

If you get your kick cut down, wait and see if your current bag will work. I would understand more if it were a hard case you were looking at b/c you don't want your kick bouncing around in there, but a bag shouldn't matter that much. I carry my 20" x 14" kick in my 22" x 18" bag every weekend, and it doesn't swim around too much.

Yep, I’ve cut 2” closed cell foam in correct diameter for bottom and or top of bag to take up the space . Nice and snug a a bit extra protection 👌🏻.

As for new gear for Christmas . Still searching out a used 6 or 7 piece in Tama b/b, sonor ascent , or anything else decent that I find and like sonically/tonally at a decent price . Maybe I’ll find something between now and Christmas 🤷🏻‍♂️. The hunt continues 🙄

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yep, I’ve cut 2” closed cell foam in correct diameter for bottom and or top of bag to take up the space . Nice and snug a a bit extra protection 👌🏻.

As for new gear for Christmas . Still searching out a used 6 or 7 piece in Tama b/b, sonor ascent , or anything else decent that I find and like sonically/tonally at a decent price . Maybe I’ll find something between now and Christmas 🤷🏻‍♂️. The hunt continues 🙄
Good on you for using your case! My 22" x 18" case works great for my little 20" x 14" kick drum. I like being able to easily slip the bag over the drum without it getting caught on the spurs. This is especially helpful after playing a 3-4 hour set, and I'm just trying my best to get out of a venue quickly at dark-thirty in the evening.

As far as a new kit goes, enjoy the hunt! :)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
In some circles, that's considered very fortunate. And start saving your pennies for when the kid moves out. It's like opening the fridge every day and finding the perfect meal!
Yup, pretty much of my extra money these days is going to random crap that breaks around the house and paying down debt which is a huge blessing! I'm hopefully going to be selling one of my USA Pork Pie kits this afternoon, and if I do, I'll pay off another loan tomorrow 1.5 years early. Paying off anything where you have payments is like giving yourself a raise. I've been pretty addicted to it over the past year. It's been great! :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Drum (and related) purchases, for me, don't necessarily follow any holiday timeline. Other than perhaps people start selling stuff around the holidays, which might find their way to me. I just picked up this Yamaha 9000 series 18x14 kick last week, and I have a matching 12x8 arriving this week.

Attachments

KamaK

Platinum Member
I was going to treat myself to a visit with the chiropractor... which is distantly/slightly related to my drumming.

While I'm not a fan of the Youtube "Ring Dinger" compilations from a medical standpoint, I have to admit that it looks like great fun, it would feel great, and would love to have it done once in my lifetime.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Drum (and related) purchases, for me, don't necessarily follow any holiday timeline. Other than perhaps people start selling stuff around the holidays, which might find their way to me. I just picked up this Yamaha 9000 series 18x14 kick last week, and I have a matching 12x8 arriving this week.
Do you know if they ever came from the factory that way? Or someone maybe did a chrome wrap.
On your way to a nice set there if you can find a floor tom.

X-mas is a definite maybe for me.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
Ordered a stage custom kit in natural finish and 8" and 14" add on toms as stage one of a shell bank. Looks like it should be arriving this week. I want to add 13" and 18" toms and a 24" kick in stage two. between the gc bucks and the Yamaha rebate the net price will be a screamin' deal