Do you know where to buy a good xylophone?

compiler

My son needs a xylophone to play in a school. Do you know any good xylophone and where to buy? Thank you.

Not enough info. How big? A concert xylo? A marching xylo? What's your budget? Whatever you do, it'll probably have to be ordered. I would go to the Woodwind and the Brasswind online store - they seem to specialize in marching and orchestral instruments. Then you have brands - Yamaha, Adams, Ludwig, and I'm sure there are others. I think the website would be www.wwbw.com.

My son just starts learning the xylophone for a middle school band. I hope it can be played as practice and performance. So it should neither be too cheap nor too expensive for the professionals. I do not know what kind of the xylophone is good enough for the beginner performance in the middle school band such as how many notes needed at least, 30, 32 or what else? Can you recommend one?

Last edited:
I don't know what constitutes a "good" xylophone (nor what would make a bad xylo). However, I can tell you that some manufacturers sell beginner percussion packages that consist of a snare (or practice pad) and bells (xylophone). There are a few on this page: http://www.samash.com/drums/student-educational/

The thing is, I see these used on craigslist for cheap all the time.

A lot of non-musicians lump all tuned percussion (bells, xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, etc) into the category of xylophone.

I saw the Pearl PK900C Educational Bell Kit and Yamaha Student Bell Kit on the Amazon.com. Are they good enough for the school band play and which one is better? See here

I saw the Pearl PK900C Educational Bell Kit and Yamaha Student Bell Kit on the Amazon.com. Are they good enough for the school band play and which one is better? See here

Basically every one of those beginner bell kits is the same, and that's what you want. There's no real "best" as they're all about the same quality, and will do just fine for a middle school percussionist :)

I think it needs to be determined from the music teacher what exactly is needed. As mentioned xylophone and bells are often confused. Find out if the bars need to be wooden (or synthetic wood) or made of metal.

Attachments

• APX35+ASARET+XYLOPHONE.jpg
    APX35+ASARET+XYLOPHONE.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 5,378
  • $(KGrHqEOKpgFGNB3BJ9eBRmcUQmlww~~60_35.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKpgFGNB3BJ9eBRmcUQmlww~~60_35.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3,206
Back