Do you know anyone else who plays the way I do?

joshisaces

Gold Member
I'm a weird breed. When I first started drumming I played open handed and I would lead with my left hand (keep in mind, I'm right handed.) My mom says that I was supposed to be left handed because I do everything backwards from a right handed person, but my right arm is my stronger arm... I eventually taught myself to play crossed over, but I still lead with my left hand.

When I play fast around the kit, it just feels like I'm doing it wrong because I lead with my left hand...

am I alone here?

oops

Silver Member
John Blackwell seems to be a likely candidate.

He plays (from what I've seen on his DVD) all his 8th note hihat parts with his left hand, but also all his snare backbeats with his left hand. It's weird to watch but works for him.

See if you can find him on youtube.

Muckster

Platinum Member
Ringo. He is left handed, forced to be a rightie by his Grandma, plays crossed over style and leads with his left hand.

joshisaces

Gold Member
haha what a relief. I guess I'm exactly like him. my mom said my dad gave things to me in my right hand instead of my left, so I guess he kind of made me right handed. My dad's greatest fear was having a left handed kid.

Trench.one

I know a guy who is left handed , plays a right handed kit set up but plays his Hi hat with his left hand and snare with his right.
I guess its a result of leftys adapting to a world of right handed set ups.
nothing worse than sharing a kit on a 5 band bill to find out the guy on before you is a lefty, apologies to any leftys amongst you.

basscase

I was just thinking tonight about changing my kit from left to right-handed so I can play open. I am just as good with either foot, so I don't think that will cause any problems. The hard part will be running the toms backwards. It will take some getting used to.

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
I'm a weird breed. When I first started drumming I played open handed and I would lead with my left hand (keep in mind, I'm right handed.) My mom says that I was supposed to be left handed because I do everything backwards from a right handed person, but my right arm is my stronger arm... I eventually taught myself to play crossed over, but I still lead with my left hand.

When I play fast around the kit, it just feels like I'm doing it wrong because I lead with my left hand...

am I alone here?
I did this. I'm left-handed, but learned righty. Jim Riley (Rascal Flatts), my drum guru, had me work on "RLRLRL" stickings, and had me work mightily to get around the kit "properly". However, Jim told me about Ringo and that he was also left-handed and led with his left hand. This is why his fills are so unique and sound "wrong" when you play them in "proper" way around the kit.

Well, there is no "proper" way. Without the ability to lead left, I could not play the other direction (low to high) on the toms, and I would not have the effortless ability to switch stickings when I need to.

He'd have me practice the snare book with the right-leading, but then I would also practice left-leading on my own, and get creative with "getting around the kit".

You are at an advantage, to be honest. Learn both methods of getting about the drums and eventually your goal should be that it would not matter which hand you lead with, so much as your body and mind would no longer be restrained by ONLY being able to lead one way or the other.

I've had a couple students over the years that had this same issue and the attitude of "do both" really helped them.

junglelord

Exactly so I like to play open, and also lead with the left hand, but also other times play crossed and lead with the right. If I am playing Ringo, lead left. If I playing other styles, it depends. I find my left lead is a better meter.

remoking

I play left handed, but I also play open handed. So my right hand plays the hats, and my left hand on the snare. So I guess you could say im left-footed, and right-handed, but I play open handed. Hah. When I play a fill around the set though, I lead with my right hand. It's wierd, but thats what feels comfortable.

joshisaces

Gold Member
I play left handed, but I also play open handed. So my right hand plays the hats, and my left hand on the snare. So I guess you could say im left-footed, and right-handed, but I play open handed. Hah. When I play a fill around the set though, I lead with my right hand. It's wierd, but thats what feels comfortable.
That's the exact opposite from me. I'm right handed, but I'm technically left handed ;'D

ALSO, when I play double bass stuff, I lead with my left foot.

Bipitta

Man I would kill to be left-handed "right" now! Heh. Eh. Bad I know... but anyway, I've spent the last year just getting to the point that I'm comfortable playing open handed as well as playing with left hand and left foot leads!

Hmm... off hand, the only person I can think of for some reason is Carter Beauford from The Dave Matthews Band... he plays open handed and he does it swimmingly!

Keep it up, as far as I know, there are no wrong ways to play the drums.

joshisaces

Gold Member
Man I would kill to be left-handed "right" now! Heh. Eh. Bad I know... but anyway, I've spent the last year just getting to the point that I'm comfortable playing open handed as well as playing with left hand and left foot leads!

Hmm... off hand, the only person I can think of for some reason is Carter Beauford from The Dave Matthews Band... he plays open handed and he does it swimmingly!

Keep it up, as far as I know, there are no wrong ways to play the drums.
yeah, DMB powns balls.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member

am I alone here?
I play open, left hand hats and ride. I am right handed, but it makes no difference really as you can train either hand for any role.

No one does anything with their arms crossed. No one eats, drives, uses tools, types, walks or plays other musical instruments with their arms crossed. Even crossed drummers like to play open when they play ride cymbal. Playing open is natural and comfortable.

The snare is the heart of the drum set and I like having my dominant hand on the snare. To me, people who play with their non-dominant hand on the snare and/or who cross their arms are really the ones playing "left-handed."

GIMONEY

playing left handed with right foot on base!

Hi guys,

I have been a drummer for bout 10yrs now and i am a FULL LEFTY. i hv only known a right handed setup kit. I recently discovered left handed drum setup and would like to explore it. i know the price i will pay for that is not being able to share the drum with any one. lol

My biggest problem though is that although i am lefty, I use my right foot for the base drum and would not want to change that. Is their any arrangement that lets you use ur right foot on a left-handed drum setup.

Awaiting ur response.

drumguyfromWI

No one does anything with their arms crossed. No one eats, drives, uses tools, types, walks or plays other musical instruments with their arms crossed. Even crossed drummers like to play open when they play ride cymbal. Playing open is natural and comfortable.
I feel perfectly natural and comfortable crossing my arms to play the hi-hat. in fact, some of my drum fills depend on the fact that I am crossing my arms. if I didn't cross my arms for those fills, they wouldn't work.

don't forget that "natural" and "comfortable" are subjective things.

anyway. my only other option, besides learning to play left handed, would be to spend a bunch of money on a cable remote hi-hat stand. no thanks. I will just cross my arms.

remember, there is no right or wrong way to set up YOUR drum kit. whatever feels good, go with that.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Ringo. He is left handed, forced to be a rightie by his Grandma, plays crossed over style and leads with his left hand.
And he admitted on an interview I saw that he plays few fills from left to right because of it.

k3ng

Silver Member
You know DMC everytime I hear you say this it makes me feel really dumb playing crossed hahaha.

I'm teaching my cousin (who is a left hander) to play open, but with hats on the right and a ride on the left. Someone else on the forum recommended this and it seems to be working really well with him. He's learning to lead with both hands and the results are pretty darn good so far.

So I guess you don't really have to worry which hand leads.