Do you have drums that are 'too good to use'?

fobz

Something I saw in another thread got me thinking about this - do you have drums/cymbals you play/gig less because you want to 'save them'? And if so, what are you saving them for?
I definitely do this, I barely gig my favourite kit because I'm really protective of it, I rarely gig my favourite snare.
Does this make sense? I rarely kit share and if something got a scratch it really wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things but I still hate the idea of it happening 😂

Something I saw in another thread got me thinking about this - do you have drums/cymbals you play/gig less because you want to 'save them'? And if so, what are you saving them for?
I definitely do this, I barely gig my favourite kit because I'm really protective of it, I rarely gig my favourite snare.
Does this make sense? I rarely kit share and if something got a scratch it really wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things but I still hate the idea of it happening 😂
There is treatment for this.

Why have them
Why have them if you dont play them? I see a lot of people on here who don't gig that seem to spend way too much on gear.

It does seem ridiculous. I do use all of my gear, but I use some of it less often than I could, mainly for recording and the occasional gig...

I'm smarter with my money than to own gear like that.
I paid good money to hear the sound it makes when I hit it with a stick.

I recently bought a PDP kit because I was sick of bringing my Gretsch USA Customs to crappy bars gigs. If my PDPs ever get scratched, I'll probably not care as much as back when my Gretsch's got scratched. Also, I have some amazing jazz ride cymbals that my semi-recently passed drum teacher sold me for close to nothing given what they're worth and how good they sound. I leave those at home as well. I'll be buried with my Gretsch COB snare, but I still take that one out occasionally.

I did something sort of uncommon for me to do back in 1993. I bought new top line Maple drums. "New" isn't my usual approach, but I knew drums were gonna be part of my life. They aren't mega expensive, though.
I use them to play out with. They're lacquer stained and I know where all the dings are that they collect.

Fear of scratching drums...I just don't care, drums will get scratched. I hide scratches with the right color of sharpie

I'm glad it doesn't even qualify to be on my list of bad things to happen.

My drums would qualify as too good to play out.

I play them anyway because they make me happy.

I declined buying a Tama 40th anniversary limited edition snare with [ugly] hard case because I was only playing bars & clubs in which a spectacular drum wouldn't matter. As I learned to record myself better, I wish I'd bought the rosewood model.

J04974000001002-00-720x720.jpg

I have no problem taking expensive gear on location. I've been doing it with photo gear for almost 40 years.
⬇️ Tama Star 1-ply maple, Starclassic & Paiste in 85ºF/86% humidity.

Danville gig.jpg

⬇️ Pricey lights, lenses, cameras, computer, etc. in a hot-ish greenhouse. There's no difference in the level of care and working knowledge needed to keep the gear working well for years. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Setup 02.JPG

Regarding damage to my kit from normal use, it's like getting the first ding in my surfboard or car. It happens.

Last edited:
Gawd I love your snare drum Chris.

Hey the rest of the kit is on par but I do have a thing for your snare drum

I don't have a problem with those who don't gig their high end gear, as long as it gets used for practice or rehearsals. What I don't understand are those who purchase high end or limited edition drums and never play them at all. Some even stash them away in their original, unopened packaging.

Why have them if you dont play them? I see a lot of people on here who don't gig that seem to spend way too much on gear.

I don't gig but I'd bet you I play more than most people who do. Just because my drums don't travel doesn't mean they aren't being played lol.

Back when I did gig though (on guitar), I admit I used to hate coming home with gear smelling like an ashtray and having to wipe dried up crusty beer off everything. I wasn't thrilled about doing outdoor gigs on the beach in 90% humidity either. All my guitar stuff was top of the line, I just made sure I kept it clean, no biggie.

Last edited:
Back