Do you have any OCD-type traits about your drums/set-up?

Gah, at church they use a lotion-based soap that drives me nuts. Makes my hands slick and I hate the feel of it. I just rinse them and dry them down really well whenever it's my Sunday to play.
I pretty much always carry a few alcohol preps with me. They come in handy far more often than I'd like. They're also good for using on your hands when you've just washed them with a lotiony soap that won't rinse off all the way.

opentune

Platinum Member
Hmmm, I have none of the above except stickers coming off of new stuff.

But...I like to play ON the cymbal logo, especially the ride cymbal.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I have fewer and fewer of these traits as the years go by. The only ones I still really have are lining up the head logos with the badges.

I also really prefer to have all one brand of drum head on the kit at a time, but that isn't a hard and fast rule anymore.

The biggest OCD-type thing I do is that I constantly fiddle with the tuning. I've always been particular about it, but these days I futz with tuning pretty much every time I sit down at the kit. I'm not sure what that's about.
^^ Yep, pretty much the same traits I follow these days, plus the bass drum logo being straight thing plus preferring to have all one brand of cymbals (not hard and fast either though).

Lastly, if I find a great ergonomic height for all of my cymbals (using a tape measure from floor to edge of cymbal), they have to be rounded up or down to the nearest 1/4" inch on the tape measure.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Some things here sound like a real hinderance in being able to chill and play.

Soap stuff I can understand as we all have different skin. There's a very simple fix though. BRING YOUR OWN!

Peedy

All I’ve got is:

1. Cymbal height and distance.
2. Throne height.

I play where people mess with the kit during the week.

But now that I’ve read some of these, I’m totally thinking about turning my bass drum head upside down just to mess with you.

Pete

Peedy

Upside down looks intentional. It has to be only slightly off!
Good call. Already been thinking of putting a stuffed animal in the BD port like it’s trying to get out. I’ll have to mull over how I can integrate the rotation.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Our lead singer is also a drummer. He gets stressed if the bass drum isn't exactly in the centre of the stage, front edge exactly parallel to the stage. If there's a seam running down the stage centre, I make sure the bass drum straddles it precisely.

Personally, I like all the sections of a cymbal stand to be extended equally.

All the logos on my snare and toms line up with the strainer or the tom mount.

Cymbals must be matching - I have a Brilliant finish set, a Traditional finish set, and an Armand set, complete with hats, ride, etc. Each set lives in its own cymbal bag. I avoid mixing a traditional crash with my brilliant cymbals, etc..

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I've got most of those OCD above, and below :
Of course the aligned bass drum logo, the heads logo aligned with the vent hole (not the badge), the T handle of the bass drum screws well aligned with the hoop. I prefer to have the same brand of shells, cymbals, heads or stands all the way.
I was concerned when I received new Aquarian heads with different logos for the same type, lol.
Still I can live with it no problem.

As a matter of fact, I just take care to have a kit that looks pleasing to my eyes from a public angle, clean, not messy. I don't clean the kit very often, or take extra care during transport, but I try to have it looking nice.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I recognise quite a few of the traits written by fellow members in this thread. I would argue that lots of it isn’t obsessive behaviour but merely attention to detail ;-) And while there might not be any advantages to lining up logos or extending sections of stands equally, there are no disadvantages to doing it either.
Probably the only new contribution I can make to the thread is that I always wash my hands with very cold water immediately before starting a set and I don’t dry them. There’s something to do with preventing blistering or whatever in the back of my head, but in the spirit of my “it doesn’t cause me any disadvantage” mindset, then even if it isn’t helping me it’s something I continue to do. Weirdly it kind of acts as a cue too, when the band see me walking out of the men’s room at around Gig time with wet hands they see it as a good time to start.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a stickler for removing sales stickers from gear immediately. That's about it.
Me too. I hate that stickers are affixed to the product itself - almost never a necessity. Stickers on boxes, swing tickets, etc = no problem. Manufacturers, if you really must sticker a product, please use low tac!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I recognise quite a few of the traits written by fellow members in this thread. I would argue that lots of it isn’t obsessive behaviour but merely attention to detail ;-) And while there might not be any advantages to lining up logos or extending sections of stands equally, there are no disadvantages to doing it either.
You perfectly summed it up ! I won't roll myself on the floor if my drumheads aren't all from the same brand, or if the kit isn't perfectly facing the audience, but I just prefer so, it doesn't do any harm.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Most cymabls will have a heavy spot where the cymbal turns with gravity. If the logo happens to be in that area, oh well, the band played on. Bass drum logo level is a necessity, unless it's Sonor, then 90 degrees to the left looks good to me. I figure if a soap leaves an odor or slick feeling after washing, it hasn't cleaned properly. I fuss over two up toms being on the same angle. Again, hihats turn, so if the logo ends up in the no fly zone, sorry. Round felt beater, give it a turn every time I sit down. Use to worry about same stick, same hand, but now at my age just holding on is all that matters. I play barefoot, so wearing shoes would require raising the throne the thickness of the shoe sole.

Otto

Platinum Member
I like my set-up to be the same each time...allows me to pay less attention to targeting/sound forming and more to the music.

Also allows me to close my eyes when I feel like it.

RockNGrohl

I still line up the logos on my drumheads. But also it helps when i'm setting up which direction move the drums in. Also I have to have the "triangle" of snare, kick, and hats in place. Anything else can be moved or tried in new position. ut when I was a teen just staring out on my beginner kit I was obsessive about everything. I was OCD about a set that was just WRONG.. lol.. and didn't work for me, but I had to have my way. Toms too far apart, cymbals up too high, the angle of the high hat pedal, snare drum hight, all of it! And if I got the drums to a tuning I liked (or was okay with as I didn't know anything about tuning) I would not want to touch it or it to change as I thought I'd never get that sound again! But I grew out of that and now i've sat in on so many kits I used to playing things that are not where I would put them, but it's no big deal. I'll never understand the guys or gals who say " That cymbal is a half and inch to high, I can't play at all on that!"

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I agree with Woolwich that I'd classify some of these as "attention to detail" things. I wouldn't call these an obsession unless it affected your ability to play if the kit didn't conform to the expectation.

I like an orderly kit that looks nice. Using logos and features as a guideline for consistency makes sense and appeals to me, no different from memory locks.

Because of that I always mount heads so the logo lines up with the badge. If it's a snare AND it has an internal muffler, I mount with the logo over the muffler so I always know where the muffler is. I like the snare wires running 9 to 3, with the throw off at 9.

Cymbal logo placement doesn't bother me at all, since the logo and the natural balance of the cymbal hardly ever line up anyway. I don't care about patina, but I don't like any odd runs, drips or spots.

As far as set up goes I do like a kit that's really dialed in. I spent a lot of time a while back really focusing on ergonomics to make playing more comfortable and unlearning a lot of bad habits and I always want to take advantage of that because there's really no reason not to and for me the benefits were huge.