Do you get weird looks when you use a double pedal in a single pedal set up?

MrPockets

Gold Member
Ie not setting up the slave pedal.

A thought came into my head as my DW5002 is a little better IMO than my pearl P-100 or pdp pedal. If I were to play a gig with only one pedal, I would choose using the Dw5002 without the slave pedal.

Then I thought if bandmates would look at me funny the first time they saw me do this or if some band leader would prefer me not to use it preferring only seeing one beater.

I would respond with, "deal with it, it is the best pedal I own."

How about you?

Re: Do you get wierd looks when you use a double pedal in a single pedal set up?

I cant imagine anyone caring or noticing how many beaters are down there and if a "band leader" did i would think you have other problems with them. None of this should ever be a problem though since it would only take a couple seconds to remove that second beater.

Re: Do you get wierd looks when you use a double pedal in a single pedal set up?

Double pedals, double kicks and drumming in that vein are the work of Satan.

What about people who set up cymbals they will never hit in the concert?

What about people who set up cymbals they will never hit in the concert?

That's just silly extra work for whoever sets up the kit. Nobody on the other side of the kit will ever notice (unless you have two clear heads like me :\ ), and the beater's already attached to the pedal and has a marginal effect on weight. Non-drummers ask me why the extra beater is there if I've left my bass drum in a percussion room for an ensemble (while it's laying about, easily visible) but usually only after they've moved the pedal a few times and notice the "other one isn't moving" or something. I simply explain that it's for the other pedal which is not connected.

TL;DR: No, nobody cares.

Double pedals, double kicks and drumming in that vein are the work of Satan.

Thank you! I'll tell the dark lord you said "Hi".

Now convert your slave to the main if it bothers you that much. Just move the beater and spring.

Better yet, why not just go get yourself a single DW pedal? I'm sure the weight would be negligible, but you would be carrying maybe a pound less, no?

I on't think anyone other than yourself care about that. I personally don't like to have the beater off center and would switch to a single pedal.

thx

jorn

I use my primary pedal, without the 2nd beater. I've had people want to come up and check out my kit after a show, and they've said that my pedal looked funny. That's the pedal I'm most comfortable with, so that's the one I take.

I often just leave the slave, axle and second beater home if I don't need them, and I've never once gotten a comment about it, not even from other drummers. Most people don't notice what we notice about our kits at all.

I would be far more concerned about my concern over appearance.

I've done it.

You're being pretty insecure lol.

Remove the left beater, then all they might notice is the unused cam.

Yeah man, just take off the second beater from the main pedal. With your drum key. It's very simple. I use my double pedal like this all the time when I only need to play single pedal. In fact, I used to own the same DW 5002 pedals (recently upgraded to 9000 double pedal!!!!!) you have too. For my jazz gigs, I just take off the slave pedal and the second beater from the main pedal. I don't see what the big deal is!

When I was trying to learn double bass I often traveled without the slave pedal. I also took off the second beater, so upon distant inspection, it was hard to tell it was a double pedal. Also, people who don't play drums probably have no idea what a pedal is supposed to look like, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow this happened recently to me...When I first joined my current band, and I went from playing music that required a double pedal about half the time to now really dont need one.. the guitarist that hired me commented on my double pedal by saying "you have a regular single pedal for that right?" I told him no but I can remove the left one but would see if I can use it this way maybe for some endings or something...he really seemed disturbed about it...???? guitarist??

I wouldn't comment on a guitarist only using 5 stings in a song.......
I'd set up a full kit even if I only intended on using snare hihat and bass. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Back