do you get stressed other drummers are better than you?

I've been a mediocre musician, at best, since 1987. Why should I start worrying now?

Last edited:
I don’t see playing any instrument as a competition. The reason I like music more than sports. Lot of people more handsome, smarter, more athletic, more musically talented, more successful, more popular - dang I’m in high school again LOL. I love seeing better drummers- they always inspire and influence me. I find when I’m learning a sport, instrument, even some research method I learn better when I engage people who are really good at it. Who da thunk it.

Last edited:
Jonathan Moffett said:

"Music is not a sport. I am tired of seeing people, especially musicians, constantly comparing musicians... or claiming 'who's better!'
Music isn't a competition! We are all unique and in the end, the only thing that matters is making music."

Nothing to add.

There is only one drummer I really envy and that's Tommy Lee. But not because he's a drummer. No it's because he has something special. Yes he must have quite the personality because he was married to Health Locklear and Pameral Anderson-and I think a couple more stunning ladies. ROFL.

Last edited:
I find it distressing to be considered on a fictitious scale as it requires a truly negative environment and damaged self-worth to believe/utilize such a thing...an environment that has victimized so many through the history of mankind...and shows no ability to adjust without generating excessive suffering.

Why? It's not a competition. There's no medals or cash prizes for being first. I don't get to put my initials on some leaderboard. I just worry about being a good enough drummer to keep the gigs I have and get more if I want them. That's all the incentive I need to keep improving.

Why? It's not a competition. There's no medals or cash prizes for being first. I don't get to put my initials on some leaderboard. I just worry about being a good enough drummer to keep the gigs I have and get more if I want them. That's all the incentive I need to keep improving.
If you have certain key indicators of popularity, it effects decisions of 'if you get funding/opportunities'...which can decide if you play music or take a job at a fast food shop(sic)...regardless of the quality of the indicator.

There is only one drummer I really envy and that's Tommy Lee. But not because he's a drummer. No it's because he has something special. Yes he must have quite the personality because he was married to Health Locker and Pameral Anderson-and I think a couple more stunning ladies. ROFL.
I am betting that it has more to do with what publicity firm was contracted and for how much. (*cough*cough*KARDASHIAN*cough*cough*)

boy, something really foul is stuck in my throat....

There once was a time I was in Guitar Center, filling the space with luscious grooves when, out of nowhere, this kid comes in, sits down, and plays some of the most beautiful stuff on the drums I'd ever seen or heard. I immediately started laughing. I don't even know where or how it came out of me, but it was completely uncontrollable. I had to leave the drum area to recover my senses while he continued to play on.

Looking back on it I think I was crying inside. Those two ends of the emotional spectrum can meet up in certain situations. I couldn't function for the next 10-15 minutes. I couldn't speak or wasn't coherent enough to try and get a name and some history. Kid was teens or early 20s.

Back