Do you get a weird sense of pride sometimes?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Disclaimer: I'm weird.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I've got a question: Do you ever get a little twinge of pride whenever you see a pro player playing the same products you play? I usually don't too much (I see Ludwig Classic Maple drums everywhere), but I'll have to say it was really cool to see a Pork Pie USA Custom being played on The Echo in the Canyon documentary.

Ever feel this way?

echointhepark_10-12-15_049.jpg

Negative. I'm weird too. I like having different stuff than other people. All my cymbals are old. I play metal on a tiny kit. I use little tiny sticks. Being different is my sense of pride.

It's not just drums either. There are maybe 6 other cars in my area like mine, I have the only blue one. All of my tattoos are original drawings minus a few. I've always been like this. I don't care what other people think, and popularity or trendiness does not influence me one bit.

If I see someone else with the same stuff as me, I just chalk it up to them having good taste.

Maybe when I see a drummer play the Gretsch Catalina Club kit I have, I probably will. Sadly, pro's will play the USA Custom over the intermediate Catalina Club 99% of the time, so I'm not holding my breath.

I did, when I bought my first high end cymbals, I felt warm and fuzzy seeing the big names playing them.

Not pride specifically, but I'd be lying if it didn't validate my choice in the product. If it's good enough for "X" to use, then surely it's only my lack of talent and ability that holds me back!

I've always been like this. I don't care what other people think, and popularity or trendiness does not influence me one bit.

Excuse me, but I don't believe that one bit. Even saying that is trendiness. But it's not true for anybody if we are brutally honest with ourselves.

GeeDeeEmm

Excuse me, but I don't believe that one bit. Even saying that is trendiness. But it's not true for anybody if we are brutally honest with ourselves.

GeeDeeEmm

Okay, that's a good argument. How about this, if you put me in a crowd of 100 people I stick out like a sore thumb. I do what I want and like, without consideration of what is popular. If I like it, I like it, regardless of whether or not it is the flavor of the day.

Some things I have no choice. For example, I wear glasses. I am limited by the frames I have to choose from. I can't avoid this, so I pick the ones I like best. But if not constrained by limitations, I choose what I like no matter what anyone else thinks.

I don't go out of my way to follow the crowd, nor do I go out of my way to be exceptionally different. I am me, love it or leave it. I just happen to be either ahead of or behind the times and I don't really care.

I was guilty of always telling my kids I love them and proud of them everyday. It wasn't "pride" so much as trying a different parenting strategy. Mainly cause my Dad never did such-yeah boo hoo, and because, admittedly, it made me insecure in youth-I got over it and didn't want my kids to have any baggage. Yep the cat's in the cradle and by the time he wanted to spend time with me I had no time for him and that silver spoon ended up my nose. After he retired we made peace and he died my friend and Pop. He finally did tell me he was proud of me and loved me-as I did him. It was all good. Sometimes I think I've been a bit too soft in compensating but kids don't come with a freaking manual and they all turned out pretty great considering the white trash genes they inherited from me LOL. .

Okay, that's a good argument. How about this, if you put me in a crowd of 100 people I stick out like a sore thumb. I do what I want and like, without consideration of what is popular. If I like it, I like it, regardless of whether or not it is the flavor of the day.

Some things I have no choice. For example, I wear glasses. I am limited by the frames I have to choose from. I can't avoid this, so I pick the ones I like best. But if not constrained by limitations, I choose what I like no matter what anyone else thinks.

I don't go out of my way to follow the crowd, nor do I go out of my way to be exceptionally different. I am me, love it or leave it. I just happen to be either ahead of or behind the times and I don't really care.

Fair enough. I totally understand.

Something I've noticed, as I'm sure all of my fellow oldsters have, that getting older makes individualism a LOT easier to accomplish. There are few advantages to getting older (and wiser), but this may be one of them. Nobody left to impress, almost no peer pressure, and a comfortable acceptance of ourselves, as we are.

But when you think about it, what we've settled into is the last set of trends and styles that we adhered to when younger! Thus, old men with long, grey hair, hippy clothing, certain automobiles and motorcycles, and a preference for music that was THE trend when we were younger. We simply hit a certain age (or frame of mind) in which time stood still, and so did our adoption of new "individualism."

Maybe we are simply slaves to the trends that are no longer popular? And we call it individualism? Maybe if we live long enough we'll see us becoming rad again!

Nah.

GeeDeeEmm

Fair enough. I totally understand.

Something I've noticed, as I'm sure all of my fellow oldsters have, that getting older makes individualism a LOT easier to accomplish. There are few advantages to getting older (and wiser), but this may be one of them. Nobody left to impress, almost no peer pressure, and a comfortable acceptance of ourselves, as we are.

But when you think about it, what we've settled into is the last set of trends and styles that we adhered to when younger! Thus, old men with long, grey hair, hippy clothing, certain automobiles and motorcycles, and a preference for music that was THE trend when we were younger. We simply hit a certain age (or frame of mind) in which time stood still, and so did our adoption of new "individualism."

Maybe we are simply slaves to the trends that are no longer popular? And we call it individualism? Maybe if we live long enough we'll see us becoming rad again!

Nah.

GeeDeeEmm

I totally get it. I'm pretty antisocial and a bit of a loner (as are my wife and kid), so I (we) just don't care. That's about it. I (we) are so involved in ourselves (and each other), nothing else (except family) really matters.

Back