Do You Feel a Need for Everything to Match?

Neal Pert

Silver Member
For most of my life-- like, from age 5 until two years ago, I rarely had a snare that matched the toms and bass. The cymbals were never all the same brand, all the stands didn't match, etc. But then something happened in my head and I wanted everything to match. There's no really good reason for it except maybe that I'm getting older and have a little more money and I was bored out of my mind at times during the pandemic.

So, now I play Yamaha drums (including snares most of the time), Yamaha hardware, Paiste cymbals, Evans drum heads, Protection Racket cases (except for cymbals and sticks). My throne is a roc n soc but I've thought of switching. I still have some gear that's not from these brands but I don't use it very often.

Back when I was gigging 150-200 gigs a year I NEVER matched and never considered even trying to match. But I DO like it and will probably keep it up for the most part.

How about you?

From an aesthetic point of view if I've had to do photoshoots or videos it looks more appealing to a potential client when everything matches. Never been one for matching snares at all. With heads and cymbals keeping the same models help with continuity of sound on toms.

When I'm gigging lots, I couldn't really care what matches as long as it gets the job done and I get paid. In the studio it definitely doesn't matter.

My cymbals are all the same brand-Paiste, drums are the same- Sonor , hardware is a combination of Yamaha and Sonor.
Snare drums are various brands.

Cases I switched to protection racket AAA a few years ago. Harder to find those in the states since U.K. shutdown though.

Last edited:
My progression into a kit with a non-matching snare has been like a blind man walking.

When I bought a Sonor kit c.1995, it came with a matching snare (Scandinavian birch outer veneer over birch shells). I used it for about 5 years, until I replaced it with a brass Starclassic snare drum. The mis-matched brands didn’t bother me. I just liked the louder, brighter snare drum.

Then, c.2004 I bought a Tama Starclassic kit and declined buying the matching snare drum. “I already have a snare drum.” Everyone in the shop was surprised, but by then I was of the mistaken mindset that I’d be playing that snare drum the rest of my life.

At the time I bought the Sonor kit, I did a blind test on cymbals. I blindfolded myself and had the drum shop salesman put up various cymbals to play and listen to. I walked out with Paiste Sound Formula and Signature cymbals.

Reactions: Tor
Nope. Both my kits are Pearl, one black and one white. I happily mix them up. None of my cymbals or stands are matching either.

I really have this. Like I could use a new hi-hat stand, but I'm holding off until Yamaha release a stand which match my FP9s, if they ever do.
I'm less bothered about the snare matching the kit, but when I was torn between the birch RC custom and the hybrid oak snares, I plumbed for the hybrid oak as it matched the kit.

i don’t mind the snare not matching the kit but the rest should match i think. cymbal wise i stick to one brand at a time even though i shouldn’t really worry too much about brand matching cymbals…

I'd love to have a Ludwig snare to go with my Classic Maple kits, but I'm pretty happy with my Pork Pie snare at the moment.

I've been playing for 25+ years, and 3 years ago I finally bought a set of cymbals that were all the same brand name.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that every piece of hardware I have is a different brand name:
DW, Tama, Percussion Plus, Pearl, Gibraltar, Yamaha, and Pork Pie

Other than drum shells, no. I don't think I've ever once owned a matching snare, my cymbals are currently a mix of Zildjian and Sabian, and my hardware is a mix of Yamaha, Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, DW, Gibraltar, and PDP. Nobody has ever commented on it to me - they're usually admiring the blue strata finish on my drums.

Yes, I call it my OCD. It was like this when I started out when I was 7. Glad I now can afford it.

The only thing that doesn't need to match are the snares. To the kit. They do need to match to each other, Its even so bad I have DW now switch out my older badge of the main snare so it matches the newer side snare.

The same thing goes for the depth sizes of my rack and floor toms (7'' rack toms, 14'' deep floors) my pedals, and hh need to match, and I bought a black trick shaft so it matched the black pedals.

But. Only if it works. If it doesn't I rather change everything up. 😬

My bank account hates me for this.

only my sticks truly match.

I have a "rock" drum set that is all Pearl Master custom maple toms and bass drum, but I use my 63 Ludwig Supraphonic snare with it

my "jazz" kit is my dads 1955 Ludwig, and I use the same snare as above, so they do all match

my cymbals are all Zildjian, but I have various models from 1940's era up to current models

I use all Remo heads, but different ones for the different style applications...

hardware is a mish-mash of everything

so all of the stuff that makes sound is at least "brand" matched

I am definitely a "brand specific" guy for cymbals, heads and sticks: Zildjian, Remo, and Vic Firth

I would call myself mainly a Pearl drums guy, but I would like to also have a Tama StarClassic kit, and a "Ray Era" Ayotte kit at some point before I die

I have Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland, RMV, Tama, and Yamaha drums.

My 3 main snares. 14" Pearl Chad Smith sig., 13" Pearl Omar Hakim sig., 13" Yamaha Musashi.

Most all my stands are Yamaha (hi-hat, cymbal and snare) ..... but I have a DW 9550 Universal Remote hi hat and a Tama legless hi hat for when I need to do that.

My main pedals are either Pearl 930's or 932's. But I sometimes use my old Camco/Tama's ..... or sometimes my Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive.

Cymbals are all Sabian, now.

I have Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland, RMV, Tama, and Yamaha drums.

My 3 main snares. 14" Pearl Chad Smith sig., 13" Pearl Omar Hakim sig., 13" Yamaha Musashi.

Most all my stands are Yamaha (hi-hat, cymbal and snare) ..... but I have a DW 9550 Universal Remote hi hat and a Tama legless hi hat for when I need to do that.

My main pedals are either Pearl 930's or 932's. But I sometimes use my old Camco/Tama's ..... or sometimes my Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive.

Cymbals are all Sabian, now.

I want an Omar Hakim snare sooooo much!! love those things!

This kit is my latest project. Does it look like I care? Depending on music and mood I have Zildjian, Agop, Mehmet, Sabian and a few no-name oldies to add in the mix.
IMG_20210424_210355.jpgIMG_20210424_184829.jpgIMG_20210425_083251.jpgIMG_20210424_184738.jpg
By the way, I really don't get this thing about "getting a consistent sound out of the toms". If I only have two or three, I prefer them to sound drastically different, to get some things to choose from. YMMV.

Yes. (Edited). I echo what C.M. Jones has said below, and although I keep the Cymbals all Paiste, I don’t have an issue with mixing up models within.

Last edited:
While I always want my toms and bass to match, I prefer that my snare have a different finish, even if it's of the same series as the rest of the set. The snare is the kit's nucleus. I like it to stand out for that reason.

My cymbals must be of a singular series, no exceptions. I demand sonic and visual consistency in that domain. That's just the way I'm wired.

Last edited:
Back