Do you ever ---

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm amazed how many of you have such freedom in the acts you work within. I know my experience is limited mainly to structured acts (either covers or originals), so maybe that's why I'm so surprised. I'd love to get into a creative live jamming situation as a tonic for my rehearsed status. It has happened in the past, but only the odd occasion by invite, never a regular deal.

I do vary fills a little, but always with the same feel & timing. My present band values consistency, & TBH, in the type of band I'm currently in, so do I (although I do play tricks on them from time to time). Any original material I'm working on, the act / artist basically dictates what they want - I offer alternatives, & once they decide on the option, I have to stick with it pretty much note perfect every time.

With my drumming, drum fills are waaaaay down on the list.
Me too Larry, but in this band, as you pointed out, they're part of the show, & expected by the audiences.

Winegums

Silver Member
For me it really depends on the situation whether I improvise my fills or not. If it's my metal band and we're playing a song I tend to keep the fills "stock". If I'm in a three piece or I'm jamming I'll improvise almost everything. It's all about what it takes to make the music work and flow.

With a three piece I feel like I have more room to breath and with a good bass player I feel like I can't go wrong. I used to play Hendrix with this awesome player and we would make some amazing grooves for the lead guitarist. All my fills were improvised for that group as I don't think that playing the same fill everytime would have suited the music.

For my metal band it falls to the other end of the spectrum as things need to be tighter and more structured. Rather than having the feel of playing seperate parts, the band feels more like musical freight train moving as one. There's less room for error and it doesn't pay to go out of your comfort zone. I tend to construct my fills carefully and tailor them carefully to fit into each spot of the song. I find that a good drum fill can make or break the transition between parts of the song.