Do you ever get the "Are you still playing drums" question?

All this stuff about being “too old” is horsecrap. Do people over 50 or 60 or 70 not deserve to express themselves musically?
I'm 65 and decided to learn how to play drums starting last year. No, I'm not too old to enjoy making music. Just sayin'.

you are only as old as your brain allows you to be...

now the body on the other hand.... my 53 year old body has to "check" my 27 year old brain sometimes

Wait wait WAIT.
Your 53 year old body gets to have a 27 year old brain?!
My 53 year old body has a 17 year old brain and is so jealous.

I still wish I could have a 17 year old brain...but there is some life wisdom that I had by 27 that I didn't have at 17 that helped me figure things out

you are only as old as your brain allows you to be...

now the body on the other hand.... my 53 year old body has to "check" my 27 year old brain sometimes

I ain't gonna lie. I'm a handsome, fit, 58 year old dude who looks a lot younger than I am.

This Summer a VERY attractive mid-20's lady approached me as I was tearing down my drums. She was very friendly, bordering on flirty. My ego was very happy. Everyone in the band saw what was going on. Yep. For a brief moment, I WAS THE MAN! Until she asked the question.... "My Mom wants to know if you're married."

Doh! ☺️

Lol. Doh! Good one.
You said no, right?

Theres a 20 something, fit, attractive girl who has showed interest in me a couple times at Bike Night gigs. Pretty certain she doesn't want to be exclusive though. She also wanted me to share her cigarette.
Maybe she wants to sell my kidneys?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: A J
Lol. Doh! Good one.
You said no, right?

Theres a 20 something, fit, attractive girl who has showed interest in me a couple times at Bike Night gigs. Pretty certain she doesn't want to be exclusive though. She also wanted me to share her cigarette.
Maybe she wants to sell my kidneys?

LOL!

While the other band guys were quietly giggling, I explained that I'm happily married since 1989, was honored by your mom's interest and hoped she enjoyed the show. For a few fleeting minutes, however; the Earth stood still as me and all my band members watched as a young cutie was fawning over ME! 😆

It's one of those band stories that will be shared amongst friends years from now! ☺️

I ain't gonna lie. I'm a handsome, fit, 58 year old dude who looks a lot younger than I am.

This Summer a VERY attractive mid-20's lady approached me as I was tearing down my drums. She was very friendly, bordering on flirty. My ego was very happy. Everyone in the band saw what was going on. Yep. For a brief moment, I WAS THE MAN! Until she asked the question.... "My Mom wants to know if you're married."

Doh! ☺️

hell, that never even happened to me when I was in my 20's, so you are waaaayyyy up on me!

• Haha
What's the old expression? Something like you dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I believe in this. I dont wanna stop having fun to become all stuffy. Who wants to just sit around and be a grumpy ass curmudgeon all day?

As for the "too old" thing, I think that in about 20-30 years' time it will be far more common to see drummers in their 50s, 60s and 70s than those in their teens and 20s. Yes, kids are still learning musical instruments but drumming for many kids is already considered to be an old person's thing.

Screw those people, man. Ask them when they're going to start living their lives.

I always say "I grew up waaayyy before you did... when I realized that being an adult does't mean sacrificing everything you enjoy in life"

The question my wife gets: "Is your husband still playing drums in a band?"

The real question: "Is your husband ever going to grow up and take on a respectable hobby or will he be forever be re-living rock star dreams of his junior high school days?"

😆

hell, that never even happened to me when I was in my 20's, so you are waaaayyyy up on me!

Don't feel bad. Frankly, I had it happen very little in my 20's. At that time women were looking for cool guys. I wasn't cool. (Fortunately for me, my wife mistakenly THOUGHT I was cool and I snagged her at an early age. Her loss. My gain!). 😆

But... In my 40's things started to change. By this time, ladies were no longer looking for cool guys. They were looking for stabile guys: guys with a career, money and house. Looks, coolness and charm were no longer important. All that mattered was cash.

These women weren't looking for romance. No way! They were looking for a "cleanup guy"; a guy to help raise their kids, a guy to finance their spending habits; a guy to fix their past mistakes, a guy to pay off past bills; a guy to let them quit their job so they can stay at home and a guy to deal with their ex-husbands, ex-boyfriends and ex-flames.

I had many opportunities to stray, but never once crossed the line; didn't even get close to the line! Not once.

When I understood their motives of these women, it wasn't hard to politely say "no". It wasn't hard at all. Not even a little bit.

Don't feel bad. Frankly, I had it happen very little in my 20's. At that time women were looking for cool guys. I wasn't cool. (Fortunately for me, my wife mistakenly THOUGHT I was cool and I snagged her at an early age. Her loss. My gain!). 😆

same thing happened to me, but not till I was 43. I can't believe she stuck around when she found out I was not John Q. American Dream....
But... In my 40's things started to change. By this time, ladies were no longer looking for cool guys. They were looking for stabile guys: guys with a career, money and house. Looks, coolness and charm were no longer important. All that mattered was cash.

These women weren't looking for romance. No way! They were looking for a "cleanup guy"; a guy to help raise their kids, a guy to finance their spending habits; a guy to fix their past mistakes, a guy to pay off past bills; a guy to let them quit their job so they can stay at home and a guy to deal with their ex-husbands, ex-boyfriends and ex-flames.

I had many opportunities to stray, but never once crossed the line; didn't even get close to the line! Not once.

When I understood their motives of these women, it wasn't hard to politely say "no". It wasn't hard at all. Not even a little bit.

yeah...being a working class, middle aged, band director type who still wears camo pants and metal t shirts helped keep that demographic far away from me!! It is like gold digging cougar repelent!!

my wife did go through some pretty brutal abuse in her past relationship, but we are working that out, and I don't mind doing that. We don't have to deal with the ex b/c he knows he will get eliminated if he crosses the boundary, and he is in so much trouble with so many people "financially" that he is out of the state now to protect his life

Back