Do you do medleys in your band?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
We do one. We play Down By the River by Neil Young, then it turns into Us and Them. It's a smooth transition. How about your bands? What medleys do you play? Or is a medley more songs by the same band put together?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
"Creedence's Suzie Q" to Santana's "Black Magic Woman" to a little bit of Hendrix "3rd Stone From The Sun" before ending.

Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally" to The Beatle's "Drive My Car" back to "Mustang Sally"

We go from Roy Orbison's "Oh Pretty Woman" to The Stone's "Satisfaction" to "Delbert McClinton's "Roll The Dice" to The Stone's "Dead Flowers"

We do Beatle's medleys, Johnny Cash medleys...Johnny Cash is universally loved, practically a guaranteed home run. We string 2 songs together too, a lot..too much to list. does that count as a medley?

BTW, I listened to your Soulshine thing and you fit with the bass player, so he was guilty too lol. I probably would have done the same thing.

tcspears

Gold Member
I think a medley technically has to be 3 or more parts of songs, but there are some famous examples of 2 songs.

I always think of Louis Prima's medley of "Just a Gigolo" with "I Ain't Got Nobody" which were two tin pan alley songs destined to be forgotten until he created a medley out of the two songs.

If you are just playing one song in it's entirety then continuing into another song, that would be more of a segue, rather than a medley.

I think the technical difference is that a medley is taking multiple (usually 3 plus) songs and putting them into one piece (think of an overture), while the segue is just transitioning from one song to another.

alparrott

Platinum Member
In my current band, they aren't medleys as such. Sometimes one song flows directly into another, or has a phrase from another song jammed in the middle as a homage or call-out. But it's the musical equivalent of a sight gag.

I have done medleys in the past and it can be fun as a musician, but I can't help but think that it's not satisfying to anyone else, unless your band has some very fanatical followers and a long history.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
"Creedence's Suzie Q" to Santana's "Black Magic Woman" to a little bit of Hendrix "3rd Stone From The Sun" before ending.

Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally" to The Beatle's "Drive My Car" back to "Mustang Sally"

We go from Roy Orbison's "Oh Pretty Woman" to The Stone's "Satisfaction" to "Delbert McClinton's "Roll The Dice" to The Stone's "Dead Flowers"

We do Beatle's medleys, Johnny Cash medleys...Johnny Cash is universally loved, practically a guaranteed home run. We string 2 songs together too, a lot..too much to list. does that count as a medley?

BTW, I listened to your Soulshine thing and you fit with the bass player, so he was guilty too lol. I probably would have done the same thing.
Those are some good ones. I can see them working really well together. I like medleys because of the extended jams.

I thought it was going to be an on stage derailment, but it turned out OK because nobody freaked out. Yeah, the bass was a little shakey at the start.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think a medley technically has to be 3 or more parts of songs, but there are some famous examples of 2 songs.

I always think of Louis Prima's medley of "Just a Gigolo" with "I Ain't Got Nobody" which were two tin pan alley songs destined to be forgotten until he created a medley out of the two songs.

If you are just playing one song in it's entirety then continuing into another song, that would be more of a segue, rather than a medley.

I think the technical difference is that a medley is taking multiple (usually 3 plus) songs and putting them into one piece (think of an overture), while the segue is just transitioning from one song to another.
Oh, OK, I got you. So what I was thinking was a medley is actually a segue. So I learned two things today: the definition of a medley and how to spell segue correctly. We'll have to get a medley going also.

In my current band, they aren't medleys as such. Sometimes one song flows directly into another, or has a phrase from another song jammed in the middle as a homage or call-out. But it's the musical equivalent of a sight gag.

I have done medleys in the past and it can be fun as a musician, but I can't help but think that it's not satisfying to anyone else, unless your band has some very fanatical followers and a long history.
Yeah, it would have to be a very popular band's songs to make it work. We do a few Grateful Dead tunes, it would be nice to do a medley with about 3 of their songs (which are usually also cover tunes).

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
We used to call it noodling. Sort of melodic quote after melodic quote with no discernible form. IMO The Grateful Dead were better than Phish, but only because the Dead had two drummers.

Rotarded

We do Cherry Cherry (Neil Diamond) into R O C K in the USA (John Mellencamp) into What I like about you (Romantics) back into Cherry Cherry...etc. its the same song, in the same key.

Blisco

Sweet Home Alabama to Werewolves of London to Summertime (Kid Rock) back to SHA.

It's fun to slightly change the fills to match the same groove for 7 minutes.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
And when Diamond Dave jumped the shark and did his own cover, I think there were many who silently wished that they had been forgotten. :)

Yeah I've done a few over the years. Often times the same types of medleys that all the cover bands on the circuit were playing. One that was a little left of centre was Them's Gloria which morphed into AC/DC's Jailbreak and back again. For some reason the punters loved that one.

Spaz

we have a Taylor Swift medley (don't laugh it's definitely Metal ) and it goes over awesome.

We also have a Maroon 5 medley that's so and so.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
We do one.

What I like about you - Cherry Cherry - ROCK in the USA

Pretty much the same chords and feel throughout, non-stop, slightly shorter version of each song. I hate medleys of different style songs that have to be forced to transition from one to the next.

Also, my 1950's band sometimes does a surf guitar medley, consisting of Pipeline, Wipeout and Pipeline again. Same tempo and key throughout, just a different melody and the drum solo to vary it up a bit.

DrummerCA35

I'm filling in on a gig with a classic rock band on Friday. They do a CCR Suzie Q/born on the Bayou medley.

Also my current band does a medley of "play that funky music" by and "fire" by the Ohio players.

BruceW

We are doing several now. Most aren't true medley's, but combinations of songs that run into each other, but are close enough for discussion. This is a basic bar band, realize... We don't do all of these every night, but more often than not most of them are involved, depending on the venue.

Our first one came about as the guitar player realized that a few songs in a particular set were all in the same key, so we melted them together. Over time he adds or subtracts some, but it usually goes:
Can't Get Enough
Battleship Chains
Takin' Care Of Business
Brown Sugar
I Saw Her Standing There (changed the key on that one to add it to the mess)

Some combinations that came about organically in the middle of shows, and afterwards became regular parts of our show:

(Government Mule version) Superstition into Another Brick In The Wall and back again.

Play That Funky Music into Cocaine and back again.

We do the now-standard practice of adding a verse or two of All Summer Long to Sweet Home Alabama.

One night, our guitar player was particularly inspired (he is a music teacher by day, so he does have the theory and keys and all that stuff in his brain) and added short bursts of pretty much all of the above into one big 20 minute mash up, and even squeezed in Sweet Child Of Mine in there somehow....

And lastly, don't hate me.... many times we'll end a night going from the Foo Fighters version of Fortunate Son into the solo section of..... Freebird. (The Foo Fighters version has that section at the end that feels like a part of the Freebird solo, which was what keyed that little fiasco, lol)

We might have a couple other combo's as well, might strike me later. I enjoy them, myself, mixes stuff up, adds more songs in the same amount of time.

BruceW

What are the chances of 2 bands doing the same 3 songs in a medley? They have to be fairly high.
I've mentally "heard" the Cherry Cherry/ R.O.C.K. in my brain before when listening to those songs, so I'm not surprised that other bands are doing them as a medley. Likely quite a few, methinks

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Sweet Home Alabama to Werewolves of London to Summertime (Kid Rock) back to SHA.

It's fun to slightly change the fills to match the same groove for 7 minutes.
I think this one would work in my band. We already play Werewolves now and then anyway, and I'm always think Sweet Home Alabama every time we play it. Then going into Summertime wouldn't be too much of a stretch because it's basically the same song.

Blisco

I think this one would work in my band. We already play Werewolves now and then anyway, and I'm always think Sweet Home Alabama every time we play it. Then going into Summertime wouldn't be too much of a stretch because it's basically the same song.
It's easy enough to do.

I forgot another one we do.

Superstition > Play That Funky Music > Uptown Funk > Superstition.

Same concept. Keep the basic groove going throughout and mix up the fills so the songs sound unique but keep the dancing going. Another 7 minutes of bliss on stage.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I tend to play lots of medleys with the bands I play with. One band does a medley of four Beatles songs and a couple by Neil Diamond. They also segue Long Cool Woman into Pretty Woman, so two different artists there. And during a long rendition of Wild Wild West (Escape Club), the bass player in one band starts singing lines from Harry Nilsson's Coconut during a long instrumental section.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
It's easy enough to do.

I forgot another one we do.

Superstition > Play That Funky Music > Uptown Funk > Superstition.

Same concept. Keep the basic groove going throughout and mix up the fills so the songs sound unique but keep the dancing going. Another 7 minutes of bliss on stage.
Oh, that's a good one too! I can see that one having smooth transitions.

I tend to play lots of medleys with the bands I play with. One band does a medley of four Beatles songs and a couple by Neil Diamond. They also segue Long Cool Woman into Pretty Woman, so two different artists there. And during a long rendition of Wild Wild West (Escape Club), the bass player in one band starts singing lines from Harry Nilsson's Coconut during a long instrumental section.
Yeah, those sound like fun ones.