Do you buy multiple sticks or more of the same pairs?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Pellwood I like that-hmmmm. Beallwood drum sticks. Wow even better. I think this idea is much better than my Turkey Strut drum pedal and then my portable double pedal. Necessity is the mother of invention. Or something like that LOL. 53140-53e9600d01c8fc75771cd662137b2342.jpgloewe-red-Suede-Sneakers.jpeg

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I think I'll char harden my sticks-that way after they are done just throw one in a bottle of Everclear and wait a week to make some whiskey. Hmmm maybe I need to blend woods for more flavor oak, hickory, and maple? So even if you don't like my sticks you might like my whiskey LOL. Sort of the Swiss army knife of drum sticks-multifunctional. Oh I forgot about Larry's magnet idea-that'll be a separate line-magnetic (the Bealarry line)and then the viscoelastic line (Snot sticks), and the regular line. Man my business is growing already. I need an accountant. The drum pedal thing never took off but this oh man. I'm building me a portable wind tunnel now to test the areodynamics of my sticks. And then a way to measure my viscoelastic line which I got to make me an oscillator to measure the shifts of my viscoelastic core to see if it really does increase the force and speed of your stick all the while absorbing any harmful shock-like orthopedic drum sticks. Us old guys/gals love that!

Last edited:

vyacheslav

I'm generally curious about this. :LOL:

My two favorite sticks are the;
Vic Firth Buddy Rich Signature Drumstick
&
Vic Firth American Concept Freestyle 85A

I want to try more sticks, but at the same time. I want to buy more of these two sticks for gigs since these are my go-to's.

.. the reason why I'm thinking of buying more is so I can grab the same pair in case I drop them mid-play. 🤭

If you like the Vic Firth Buddy Rich's stick, check out the Vater "West Side" Model. Exactly the same sticks, but without the white paint!

harryconway

Platinum Member
My main go to is the Vater Fusion Nylon. Always have quite a few pairs on hand. And sometimes, I use the Vater Fusion Acorn ..... because it has a mallet on the end.

Also in my stick bag, I usually have so sort of Pro-Mark nylon brushes, and Jstix 5A and 7A rods, and probably a pair of yarn wrapped marimba mallets.

I've got so many different sticks at home ..... over the years ..... they just find a way to me. So If I need something different .... I probably have it.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

my main stick is the Vic Firth 3A...I buy a brick of them, and that lasts me about 2 years...I hit med hard, but I also feel like I hit "smart". Play rock, metal, punk, jazz and country with them.

I also have some Pro Mark PW808's that I like, but not as much as the VF's

being a drumline instructor for the past 30 years, I probably own at least one pair of every kind of stick made in the marching, orchestral and set world due to freebies at clinics, my own purchases and gifts. I actually have 3 large (marimba sized) mallet bags of sticks....and 2 of keyboard mallets.

I sort of have a stick "collection", with some first gen Vic Firths (with the hand burned logo on them), as well as early Regal Tip Calato 662's, and first year Pro Mark DC-10's. Also have some Ludwig sticks from the '50's, and some brushes and aluminum sticks from back then too...

C.M. Jones

I use AHEAD 5B Light Rock sticks for everything I do. The sleeves and tips are replaceable, so the cores last a very long time. I play with finesse overall and haven't broken a pair of sticks in over a decade.

I've been using AHEAD for a few years now. They took some getting used to, but I like their shock absorption, rebound, and durability. And no, they don't harm cymbals. That's a longstanding myth. Their polyurethane covers are actually much easier on cymbals than hickory is.

Lee-Bro

I use AHEAD 5B Light Rock sticks for everything I do. The sleeves and tips are replaceable, so the cores last a very long time. I play with finesse overall and haven't broken a pair of sticks in over a decade.

I've been using AHEAD for a few years now. They took some getting used to, but I like their shock absorption, rebound, and durability. And no, they don't harm cymbals. That's a longstanding myth. Their polyurethane covers are actually much easier on cymbals than hickory is.
In the early 90s I switched from Regal Tip Quantum 1000 to Easton's sticks. I was playing heavy metal then and snapping 2-3 wood sticks every gig. I dug the Easton durability but couldn't get into the hand feel. I still have a pair but switched back to hickory 5B nylon tip and buy them by the brick now. My lightweight stick when needed is the Pro-Mark 717 (Rick Latham), but only need to buy them a few pair at a time.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I usually buy 2-3 pairs of sticks at a time. I only use VF HD4s, but in a pinch will use VF Steve Jordan model and cut off the butt to match the length of the HD4.

I'm a one stick guy. I find one I like and stick with it. I've been on HD4s for like 6-7 years now.

C.M. Jones

In the early 90s I switched from Regal Tip Quantum 1000 to Easton's sticks. I was playing heavy metal then and snapping 2-3 wood sticks every gig. I dug the Easton durability but couldn't get into the hand feel. I still have a pair but switched back to hickory 5B nylon tip and buy them by the brick now. My lightweight stick when needed is the Pro-Mark 717 (Rick Latham), but only need to buy them a few pair at a time.
I hear you on the feel issue with regard to AHEAD. They do take some acclimation. I used them skeptically for several weeks and then tried playing with wood sticks again, but I found AHEAD's shock absorption so appealing that I converted to them for good. I'm done with wood forever.

I know AHEAD is often associated with metal drumming, but I play country/light rock. AHEAD's 5B Light Rock model is perfect for my style. The long taper promotes touch and rebound, but the stick has enough meat to deliver volume when I need it. And its durability is simply unmatched. I'm a happy customer overall.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
80% are the basic VF 5A basic, otherwise it’s the Tama oak 5A. More rigid. Less expensive too. Occasionally I use 7A VF or Tama.

Last edited: