Do You Always Count?

jazzin'

Silver Member
I don't believe it does. I think it just takes some of the right kind of focused practice, and consistent attention-- and giving up some myths about it that aren't helpful.
Agreed. I think it’s often that it’s simply one of those practice areas that people just don’t put the same amount of consistent effort or attention in to, as say practicing some hip independence thing or some crazy choppy fill. You can absolutely improve your sense of time and feel just like any other area of your playing and just as much too. Consistent effort and focused practiced, as Todd said, is all it takes. Just like anything else.

Anyway, I don’t think this subject is overly complicated is it? You count when you learn something new or tricky or for specific practice things, or you count/sing/vocalise subdivisions, beats, bars, phrases, sections, rests etc etc if you need to when playing to clarify to yourself you’re in the right place if it’s an odd number of beats/bars/whatever or aren’t thrown off by someone playing something weird that could throw you off track. Or just for whatever reason you might need to count something. The majority of the time though, it’ll be by ‘feel’ because the counting/subdividing/feeling of long phrases part has already been internalised in the practice room long before. That’s why we do do the deliberate counting part in the practice room.

Knowing where we are in a tune, how many beats or bars there is in a section is incredibly important as rhythm section players. Counting is one of the most important ways we do that, even if it does become so natural that we ‘just feel it’.

Last edited:

J-W

The beats that some people, generally unmusical, will clap along to instead of 2 and 4.
The question was directed at Todd since it was in his blog.

But, you're saying that whites are generally unmusical?

jazzin'

Silver Member

Urgh, i had a funny feeling and I wondered if this was where it was maybe going before I even answered. Now I remember why I generally steer clear of internet discussions. No, I don’t. It wasn’t a term I used, I was simply replying politely to your query as to what it meant.

Fair enough?

J-W

Urgh, i had a funny feeling and I wondered if this was where it was maybe going before I even answered. Now I remember why I generally steer clear of internet discussions. No, I don’t. It wasn’t a term I used, I was simply replying politely to your query as to what it meant.

Fair enough?
Absolutely. As I said, the question wasn't directed at you. I appreciate you trying to clarify it for Todd since he apparently has me on ignore (including PM's) or he just plain refuses to answer.
No need to fear internet discussions. That's what the forum is all about.
So, is this a term that's commonly used? I ask because I'd never heard it before, but maybe it's something not said among certain groups.
When someone encourages others to click a link to their web blog, they should be willing to explain what they mean in that blog. Again, nothing is directed at you, jazzin' and like I said, I appreciate your response.

jazzin'

Silver Member
Absolutely. As I said, the question wasn't directed at you. I appreciate you trying to clarify it for Todd since he apparently has me on ignore (including PM's) or he just plain refuses to answer.
No need to fear internet discussions. That's what the forum is all about.
So, is this a term that's commonly used? I ask because I'd never heard it before, but maybe it's something not said among certain groups.
When someone encourages others to click a link to their web blog, they should be willing to explain what they mean in that blog. Again, nothing is directed at you, jazzin' and like I said, I appreciate your response.
Well I wouldn’t know about any of that stuff, but Todd seems like a good guy from the discussions I’ve had with him over the years here, and his blog is among the very best (I certainly can’t think of a better one) on the internet for a wide variety of great practical drumming knowledge, and I have no doubt that there was no malicious intent or prejudice meant by the term.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Thanks for the kind words jazzin-- I blocked that guy a long time ago. He just wants to argue. A time waster.

• Love
Reactions: J-W

J-W

Well I wouldn’t know about any of that stuff, but Todd seems like a good guy from the discussions I’ve had with him over the years here, and his blog is among the very best (I certainly can’t think of a better one) on the internet for a wide variety of great practical drumming knowledge, and I have no doubt that there was no malicious intent or prejudice meant by the term.
HIs lack of response speaks volumes, so I have my doubts.

Thanks for the kind words jazzin-- I blocked that guy a long time ago. He just wants to argue. A time waster.
Honestly, I dislike arguing. But I do like a healthy discussion which Todd doesn't seem to care to partake in if the other party is in disagreement, and especially if he's been proven wrong.

someguy01

I'll take the bait, because I'm that guy.
The stereotype goes: White people have no rhythm thus they can't dance and they clap on the 1 and 3 during the electric slide.
It's an old stereotype yet continues to ring true every time I go into GC and THAT kid is on the drums.

Reactions: J-W

J-W

I'll take the bait, because I'm that guy.
The stereotype goes: White people have no rhythm thus they can't dance and they clap on the 1 and 3 during the electric slide.
It's an old stereotype yet continues to ring true every time I go into GC and THAT kid is on the drums.
Thank you! There was no "bait".
Ok, so it is a racial stereotype thing. I assumed that, considering it's source, it was actual drum terminology. Now I know better.

Yes, I'm familiar with white men can't jump, or dance, but had never heard the term "white beats" until yesterday Friday.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

Thank you! There was no "bait".
Ok, so it is a racial stereotype thing. I assumed that, considering it's source, it was actual drum terminology. Now I know better.

Yes, I'm familiar with white men can't jump, or dance, but had never heard the term "white beats" until yesterday Friday.
My first impression was maybe some new term that came out of the "Working Girl" days from the 80s, where white-out was still use to correct mistakes on a term paper or job application (or music notation on manuscript paper). So Todd's comment could be interpreted as whiting out the 1 and 3 quarter notes, the concept being conveyed that the beats are still there, and felt, but not played, at least not played much in jazz.

rhumbagirl

The hair! Priceless. Aqua Net made a mint in the 80s and hole in the ozone in the 90s.
This was on AmazonPrime last week. The thing I hate about AmazonPrime is there's no browse tool for a certain decade or date range. (I'm paranoid about using the search tool. Because what you're really doing is telling the system what it is you really want to watch, and once they figure that out, well there's not much keeping them from putting the pay option on it.)

Reelgood has a great search tool, but I need the ipad next to the TV.

someguy01

I'm paranoid about using the search tool.
You are preaching to the paranoid hippie choir. I proxy anything that I need a search function from. Everyone has an algorithm that's designed to mine as much personal data as possible.
On that front, Palantir is the most evil of them all, possibly a warehouse for Satan and his minions.

J-W

My first impression was maybe some new term that came out of the "Working Girl" days from the 80s, where white-out was still use to correct mistakes on a term paper or job application (or music notation on manuscript paper). So Todd's comment could be interpreted as whiting out the 1 and 3 quarter notes, the concept being conveyed that the beats are still there, and felt, but not played, at least not played much in jazz.
I thought maybe it was the drum beat version of the "white key chords" on piano.

The hair! Priceless. Aqua Net made a mint in the 80s and hole in the ozone in the 90s.
Or as we used to call it during the hair metal days, "Rock-qua Net". Glad I never got on board with that.

rhumbagirl

You are preaching to the paranoid hippie choir. I proxy anything that I need a search function from. Everyone has an algorithm that's designed to mine as much personal data as possible.
On that front, Palantir is the most evil of them all, possibly a warehouse for Satan and his minions.
What's the difference between a proxy and a VPN, if I may ask?