Do you agree with me?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yes, I need more control, that's not the issue. The difference in sound from my cymbals is more ping, less wash with the 5A. Less ping, more wash with the 5B.
Trying to find a happy compromise. I agree with your cymbal analysis between 5A and B-and the B feels better in my hands too. So I'm "sticking" with the 5A LOL.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Trying to find a happy compromise. I agree with your cymbal analysis between 5A and B-and the B feels better in my hands too. So I'm "sticking" with the 5A LOL.
A quick fix is to use drumstick tape (like bicycle handlebar tape but more expensive 'cuz it attracts the ladies) to increase the diameter of the stick. It works well. I've used 7A sticks, wrapped in tape, for the notoriously low-key Sunday Brunch at the Country Club. Nice, woody ping on the ride, not too loud, won't slip outta my hand.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
After starting out on thin stuff like 7a and what not for most of my career, I'm quite sorry I didn't figure out how much easier it is to play with a heavier stick.

It's now 5b for everything, regardless of volume, style or day of week. It's just easier. I had it in my mind that a smaller stick would be more nimble and "faster". I was just doing more work for the same sounds. The player who I respect the most as a musician here (whoistony) turned me on to this common misnomer of the smaller sticks being "easier" and once I got used to playing more dynamically for control, it's now easy to see the benefits.