Do snare stand 'suspension' rubber mounts do much?

I'm talking about the one's like Pearl, where they just have the rubber style "suspension". I've never had a chance to test one out, is it worth having?

I put floating floor tom feet on both my floor toms a few years ago and the result was nothing short of amazing. If a floating snare stand has even 1/3 of the same result I'd be very interested to know.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I have the Pearl snare stand that looks like it's suspension mount on the arms, but I put the snare in the basket and never tighten the basket up enough for the suspension rubber to make a lot of contact, so for me I think it's wasted space (it does make the stand a bit wider).

But considering back in the 70s when you had hard rubber literally clamping on the snare drum bottom rim, anything softer should be a massive improvement.

I would say if you don't ever clamp your snare basket on the drum, then you wouldn't need this snare stand.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I have two Pearl S930, and one S1030 snare stand with suspension style rubber mounts. I feel there is something to these mounts. They don't seem to choke the drums. They are my favorite style snare stands. I mix and match what works best for me. I have Pearl snare stands for my snare and rack tom. I use Tama Road Pro cymbal stands, and DW bass pedals and hi-hat stands.

I think I'll get the Pearl s930. I want to see what these are all about.

I did notice that the floating part is on the side of the rubber mounts, so I figured I would be tightening it to the bottom rim in a way makes use of those. Even it it makes little to no difference it won't be a big deal.

Thanks.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have the Pearl snare stand that looks like it's suspension mount on the arms, but I put the snare in the basket and never tighten the basket up enough for the suspension rubber to make a lot of contact, so for me I think it's wasted space (it does make the stand a bit wider).

But considering back in the 70s when you had hard rubber literally clamping on the snare drum bottom rim, anything softer should be a massive improvement.

I would say if you don't ever clamp your snare basket on the drum, then you wouldn't need this snare stand.
Precisely. Let the snare just sit on the three arms loosely and there will be no pressure on the booth rim or head. There are separate foam add-ons you can buy to sit on top of the existing rubber tips but I don't think they are necessary.

Precisely. Let the snare just sit on the three arms loosely and there will be no pressure on the booth rim or head. There are separate foam add-ons you can buy to sit on top of the existing rubber tips but I don't think they are necessary.
I see where you're coming from, but you may make the same argument for floor toms, even though of course they are way heavier.

I don't clamp my snare down, but I still have to hear this for myself. Every time I have used something 'floating' like this, whether it be for drums, or speakers or whatnot, I'm typically pretty impressed.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
I have the Pearl snare stand that looks like it's suspension mount on the arms, but I put the snare in the basket and never tighten the basket up enough for the suspension rubber to make a lot of contact...
I have two of the Pearl S930 stands and I do essentially what Bo is saying. The nice thing about the soft rubber is you can tighten the basket just enough to hold the drum securely without clamping down on it. I can make a mid-set change of snares without having to loosen the basket -- just a gentle pull-up out of the basket and a gentle push-down into the basket. If one does not desire to clamp down on their snare, I believe this solution is superior to a hard rubber stand where the snare is simply resting -- but not really secured -- on the stand.

I guess what I'm saying is, whether it makes a sonic difference or not (I believe it does, but would be hard to prove), it does provide a functional advantage.

At $60, I think the S930 is the best bang-for-the-buck heavyweight snare stand available today.

Last edited:

Road Bull

Silver Member
At $60, I think the S930 is the best bang-for-the-buck heavyweight snare stand available today.
Agreed. I have 2 of the S930 stands and a single S1030. I think the only reason I have the 1030 is because I got a great deal on it. The main difference is that the S1030 can adjust snare basket size (up to 16"), has am omni tilt that allows more flexibility than an X to Y axis might offer, and a smidgen more overall height.

I think for sixty bucks you can't find a nicer snare stand.