Do new snare drums usually come with a drum key?

charliedrummer

I recently purchased a brand new Craviotto Johnny C snare drum from a reputable store and when I unboxed it, I was somewhat surprised to see that it didn't come with a drum key. I haven't purchased too many new snares in my lifetime, but those I have always included a drum key. I contacted the store and was told that the Johnny C snares don't come with a key (while the more expensive Craviottos do). I'm very happy with the drum and I certainly have enough other drum keys, so I'm not mad. I just had assumed that all new snare drums come with a key. By the way, there was a Craviotto drum key up for auction on ebay last week that went for $37 (way too high for me to justify bidding simply to have a Craviotto key).

Do these snares use some special tension rods that would require a special drum key, like the slotted Sonor tension rods? If so, I would say it should come with a key. If it uses just regular tension rods, then there is no reason why it needs to come with a key. Some snares I have bought came with a key, others have not. I have probably 15 keys lying around, I dont really need any more.

No, there's nothing special about Craviotto tension rods that would require a special key. It just seems that anything new I've purchased over the past 2-3 years, including snare drums, bass pedals, tom and hi-hat stands, have all come with a drum key. Like I previously stated, I don't need another drum key. I was just asking out of curiosity. This is only the second or third snare drum I've purchased new, so I don't know what's the norm.

The last two snares I bought from Sonor came with a drum key. Sheesh... they're certainly cheap enough for a builder to throw one into the box considering how much new drums cost these days.

Thinking back, I think every snare I've purchased new has come with a key. But to be honest, I wouldn't feel gypped if I got one without a key. I have so many keys that most of them sit in a can I have on a shelf.

So onto important stuff...where are the pics of your new Craviotto snare?????

I think my Pearl Sensitone Elite brass came with one. But I've bought most of my snares used... so no. Not that it's any big deal, I have like ninety-four of them, including my treasured vintage Ludwig Sta-set tool.

Attachments

• IMG000025.jpg
    IMG000025.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 341
Pearl's new Spin Tight Tension Rods came on certain snares in 2014. IIRC Vectorcast.
Pearl's R&D would probably have a heart attack if you gave that key setup away as stock.
Every snare should come with a key if it has stock lugs native to the company (like Sonor), and they should definitely come with the purchase of a kit, but not always with a new lone snare. Good for business.

Gretsch includes a key (in a cloth bag) with USA Custom snare drums.

I used to work at a drum store when I was a kid.

employees would unpack the snare for display and the keys would get thrown in to a bin.

we were suppose to give the key with the purchase of the snare. sometimes it gets forgotten.

we had piles and piles of keys in the bin.

I would imagine a Craviotto snare would come with a key...

they aren't cheap snare drums, including Johnny C.

the store that sold it to you could have atleast offered to give you a generic key with your purchase.

I suddenly realized as I was reading this thread that I have only purchased 1 new snare drum before. The steel snare that came with my Stage Customs and it came with a key.

I probably paid as much for that whole kit as you did for you snare. I am offended for you Sir.

For the first time in 50 years I'm fortunate enough to be in the position to own multiple snare drums.

About two thirds of the snare drums I've purchased in the past several years did not come with keys.

If I were in your position I would respectfully ask your vendor who sold you the Johnny C snare if they
normally include a drum key. If not, he might offer you a good deal on a Craviotto key or possibly even
comp you one. Never hurts to ask.

"...own multiple snare drums."

*cough*cough* An understatement? ;-)

Just to put a happy ending on this thread, a fellow forum member here graciously sent me an extra Craviotto drum key that he had. What a generous gesture! I will do my best to pay it forward with the few drum accessories I've accumulated over the years but no longer need.

I too recently picked up a Johnny C snare drum - no key and also no bag, which all the 'regular' Craviotto snares include.

Then - I followed up the snare drum with a Craviotto Center Stage kit. Guess what...no key with those either.

I want a Craviotto key too, but looks like spending $4200 USD (thats $6000 Canadian at today's exchange rate and after tax) on 4 shells...still...no key. How much do I have to spend !?

Neal

I've only got a key with certain Gretsch snare that come with the snap in key holder. Also at risk of hijacking your thread, do you ever find new snares to have rather stiff tuning rods? All my Black Panther snare drums were lubed up and smooth, each lug felt equal but all my brand new Gretsch and Ludwig snares were unlubed and really stiff. I couldn't even finer tighten them properly.

I too recently picked up a Johnny C snare drum - no key and also no bag, which all the 'regular' Craviotto snares include.

Then - I followed up the snare drum with a Craviotto Center Stage kit. Guess what...no key with those either.

I want a Craviotto key too, but looks like spending $4200 USD (thats $6000 Canadian at today's exchange rate and after tax) on 4 shells...still...no key. How much do I have to spend !?

Neal

Wow, that's bizarre, especially for the price of a Craviotto kit. Was it a floor model and the dealer simply forgot to include it? I've seen a few "unboxing" videos on Youtube and the Custom Shop Craviottos always have a key included in the factory box. These snares also come with a bag but I realize that the Johnny C snares do not in order to help keep the cost down. Heck, every piece of DW gear I've purchased, whether it be a drum, hi-hat stand, or pedal, has come with a DW key. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have plenty of drum keys but for some strange reason I like having a "logo" key that goes with each piece of gear I own. Thanks to the kindness and generosity of a fellow forum member, I now have a Craviotto key to go with my new Johnny C snare.

Neal

Neal, that Craviotto kit looks incredible, I hope you enjoy it. If I had a Craviotto drum key, I would be afraid of loosing it and it would stay at home. I understand the principle, but you'd be better off with 15 generic keys lying around everywhere. Cheers !

Back