Do Multi-Clamps do damage?

makinao

Silver Member
I've never had a multi-clamp. So I wanted to ask what the likelihood is of Multi-clamps scratching or damaging the stand its clamped to?

I've never had a multi-clamp. So I wanted to ask what the likelihood is of Multi-clamps scratching or damaging the stand its clamped to?

Depends on the quality of your stands and how tight you'll set the multi-clamp to the stand.

I've used multi-clamps for several years and didn't have any problems, but I have seen kits from drummer friends with marks on their stand due to multi-clamp.

Hope this helps.

I would have to say as long as you loosen them up to make adjustments to the clamp itself, theres little risk at the clamp scratching the finishes. And as long as you are in the general vicinity of where you want whatever it is you need the clamp for, and just have to make the small adjustments of the holder(s), you should be fine. If youre talking years and years of using and moving them, then theres probably a good possibility of scratching the finish.
Hope this helps, and I hope you can understand what Im trying to explain lol. It makes sense in my head!

If you over tighten them they will mar the stand tube.
If you under tighten them they will spin on the stand tube and mark it.
DMC's choice to use velcro as a protector is the way to go to be sure not to mark the stand.

I have overtightened clamps on stands and it has put dents in the tubes. No ones fault but my own.

Never hurts to have some memory locks around as well, so you can give the clamps a little extra support without having to crank them down too tight.

I've also seen some clamps scratch the tubes surface, usually from under tightening. I've also witnessed some of the heavier weight clamps dent the tubes on less expensive stands with thinner tubes. Usually if you're not a gorilla, everything will work out fine, lol.

Dennis

I've also seen some clamps scratch the tubes surface, usually from under tightening.

This.

The clamp should be tight enough so that it allows not even the slightest movement on the stand. As someone else said, memory locks provide support as the clamp will slowly loosen by the smallest increments as your play. Every so often, go around the whole kit and tighten all your clamps.

Something I didn't see mentioned and probably the most important for avoiding damage and instability is to minimize the moment arm. Simply put, it's how far the clamped object is from where it's clamped on the stand. I hope this helps. I've had several steel Gibraltar cymbal arms and rack tubes become slowly crushed because of heavy 12" and 14" mounted toms... almost hard to believe ._.

heh... nah i've never intentionally exercised in my life ;)

I think it comes from when I played guitar in high school. a lot of the drummers i played with had drum kits that were pieced together through hand-me-downs, pawn shops, and back-alley treasures (ohh and extra points for the homemade PVC 'rack')... they were held together with duct tape, hose-clamps, and soda bottles (luckily they were still glass and not plastic then), and were always falling apart, including DURING shows.

Simply put, it's how far the clamped object is from where it's clamped on the stand. I hope this helps. I've had several steel Gibraltar cymbal arms and rack tubes become slowly crushed because of heavy 12" and 14" mounted toms... almost hard to believe ._.

I've always wondered how such seemingly impossible setups make their way to drum company catalogs. I mean, they should know better, right?

were always falling apart, including DURING shows.

Lulz that just reminded me of my second show, or first show with a legitimate band, when I had my 14" tom mounted differently. I couldn't get the clamp to go tight enough to hold it in place for more than a few songs, so it just keep slowly rotating down, down, all the way down throughout the course of a song while my bands were obviously tied up, making my drumset look absolutely absolutely retarded. Good times

Thanks for the replies. Will remember not to overtighten, and will try the velcro tip.
Forget velcro, as that will allow the clamp to shift. Much better to use a thin rubber sheet.

Also, if you don't insulate, you WILL eventually mar the stand. It only takes one thoughtless moment and the stand it's clamped to will never be the same. ;-)

I finally got a clamp. I'm using it for a 10" Mini-China on the thinest stage of an old cymbal stand, clamped to the 1st stage of a new tom stand. I put a layer of cloth tape under the clamp point of the tom stand. Its very light, and because of that it's very stable.

Forget velcro, as that will allow the clamp to shift. Much better to use a thin rubber sheet.

Also, if you don't insulate, you WILL eventually mar the stand. It only takes one thoughtless moment and the stand it's clamped to will never be the same. ;-)

If I was going to use anything, this would be it.

However, I've never had a problem with my clamps causing any damage to the stands. Everything wears with time, but I've never noticed my clamps speeding up the process.

Agreed. Works great. I also use a thin plastic piece (2" x 3") from something like a milk carton or plastic container.

Back