Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

The original question begs to understand: from whom does the hate come? As others here have mentioned, this forum has drummers from across the globe with as varied experience and knowledge of drumming anywhere on the planet. No hate for any musical genre or style, just drummers talking drums.
Where are you getting hate?

I get the hate from other non-metal musicians mostly...and the crowd that just doesn't know about it.

usually younger <-- people that hate anything they don't understand; also people looking for attention via confrontation...like the WHOLE world of Insta-Social Media

and younger means mentally in this case...not necessarily physical...I know a lot of "young" 55 year olds

I've been deep diving into metal over the last few years. Nothing else holds my attention as much, and it's strongly affecting the direction I take with my drumming and what I'm trying to get better at. Maybe this is wrong, but I've had the impression for the last 10 years or so that drummers who are into technique and chops will eventually find themselves doing jazz or metal. In any case, I think that some of the best drummers are in the metal scene, doing amazing things and not just super fast double bass. Check out Matt Garstka or Alex Rudinger. Personally, I am uninterested in music with monotonous double bass (especially high speed) or "cookie monster" satan vocals, or silly horror show lyrics.

Some of the best stuff is instrumental prog-metal IMO. If you are interested in this, consider Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders, Night Verses, Intervals, Aziola Cry. These are all instrumental. For stuff with vocals, I avoid the screamo stuff and there's plenty out there. As has been mentioned, it's a huge genre with lots of categories. Imagine someone listening to a few popular jazz songs and deciding they hated the whole genre.

Incidentally, I've been checking out Iron Maiden again after many years and I have to say that they have some complex and interesting songs with very nontrivial drum parts. Worth giving them a second look if you wrote them off when you were young.

I've been deep diving into metal over the last few years. Nothing else holds my attention as much, and it's strongly affecting the direction I take with my drumming and what I'm trying to get better at. Maybe this is wrong, but I've had the impression for the last 10 years or so that drummers who are into technique and chops will eventually find themselves doing jazz or metal. In any case, I think that some of the best drummers are in the metal scene, doing amazing things and not just super fast double bass. Check out Matt Garstka or Alex Rudinger. Personally, I am uninterested in music with monotonous double bass (especially high speed) or "cookie monster" satan vocals, or silly horror show lyrics.

Some of the best stuff is instrumental prog-metal IMO. If you are interested in this, consider Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders, Night Verses, Intervals, Aziola Cry. These are all instrumental. For stuff with vocals, I avoid the screamo stuff and there's plenty out there. As has been mentioned, it's a huge genre with lots of categories. Imagine someone listening to a few popular jazz songs and deciding they hated the whole genre.

Incidentally, I've been checking out Iron Maiden again after many years and I have to say that they have some complex and interesting songs with very nontrivial drum parts. Worth giving them a second look if you wrote them off when you were young.
Great articulation of what many are probably thinking. Metal is more than screaming and double bass, for those interested in the genre it is as varied as jazz, rock or country in its complexity and variety. To each his own.
This Iron Maiden album The Number of the Beast is one of the best early metal albums ever recorded IMO.

Attachments

• 07903151-9E78-407F-B445-4A0DCA8C3FA9.jpeg
    07903151-9E78-407F-B445-4A0DCA8C3FA9.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1
The original question begs to understand: from whom does the hate come? As others here have mentioned, this forum has drummers from across the globe with as varied experience and knowledge of drumming anywhere on the planet. No hate for any musical genre or style, just drummers talking drums.
Where are you getting hate?
well I havent gotten any hate on this forum , but the thing in my area is that most people are quite conservationist and do not want to venture into unspecified areas , therefore the term 'hate' , The metal scene in India is slowly growing but currently metalheads face a lot of dissent in all the musical communities.

well I havent gotten any hate on this forum , but the thing in my area is that most people are quite conservationist and do not want to venture into unspecified areas , therefore the term 'hate' , The metal scene in India is slowly growing but currently metalheads face a lot of dissent in all the musical communities.
Ah, that explains a lot. People everywhere are afraid of anything they don’t comprehend or understand. Metal can sound intimidating and aggressive to those unfamiliar with the sound, I wouldn’t think it is hate, rather apprehension to the unfamiliar sounds. Americans have gone through several periods of attempted rejection of musical expression by the authorities which have all melted away with popularity of the people.
Give it some time, never give up your passion, and your neighbors will be fine with your musical choices.

Firstly, Metal is divided into 8746 different sub genres. (I'm barely exaggerating.) There really is something for everyone...

Personally, I've been a metalhead for a long time, almost 30 years now and I do not plan to change anything until my death.
I'm just afraid that I will have to stop doing blastbeats someday... I'm 39 years old now, so 50, 55 or 60 years old will be my limit? I can't say...
I don't need music to pay bills so I can focus exclusively on playing with my grindcore band and loving it.

You like to listen to one style of music or another because these styles bring you emotions, comfort and joy. I almost exclusively listen to extremely fast and brutal metal because the sound of a heavy distorted electric guitar, double bass drum with blastbeats and screaming vocals brings me joy and helps me calm down from all this shit that surrounds us every day in this world completely on the verge of implosion...

There is not enough time in a week to worry about listening to music that you don't like. Listen/play what you like and STFU!

I'm aging in reverse.

I wasn't into metal in high school. Started listening to it in bits and pieces just afterwards.

Now many decades later, I love Jinjer, Before the Dawn, and others.

Firstly, Metal is divided into 8746 different sub genres. (I'm barely exaggerating.) There really is something for everyone...

Personally, I've been a metalhead for a long time, almost 30 years now and I do not plan to change anything until my death.
I'm just afraid that I will have to stop doing blastbeats someday... I'm 39 years old now, so 50, 55 or 60 years old will be my limit? I can't say...
I don't need music to pay bills so I can focus exclusively on playing with my grindcore band and loving it.

You like to listen to one style of music or another because these styles bring you emotions, comfort and joy. I almost exclusively listen to extremely fast and brutal metal because the sound of a heavy distorted electric guitar, double bass drum with blastbeats and screaming vocals brings me joy and helps me calm down from all this shit that surrounds us every day in this world completely on the verge of implosion...

There is not enough time in a week to worry about listening to music that you don't like. Listen/play what you like and STFU!

one hint...from this 52 year old metal head...to keep your blast beat chops up is to not stop playing that way...even if the band/music situation stops calling for it. Keep up those abilities in practice!!

I have kept my hands up to my younger self speed, but my feet are way behind in catching up...

No dynamics
No acoustics
Metronomic tempo
Dominant side, linear drumming
--> boring

Twice the energy required
--> health hazard

Plays just as good in reverse
--> a spot reserved in Satan’s drum circle
aha the last one is great. But twice the effort also culminates in twice the endorphins , DOUBLE THE HIGH!!! plus i mean who wouldnt want to add blast beats to every single song created? LOL , Metronomic yes , but however dynamics are quite there. New bands such as Mgla is it still new? and aborted have groovy drummers who bring metal out in its finest. And well if u want some great grooves with a fusion of blasts do check out benighted. The things u did mention have a certain weight in the casual metal song , but none of it defines the true intent of metal. WORSHIPPING SATAN MWAHHAHAHAHA. Just kidding it helps a person express their feelings just by listening to it.

WORSHIPPING SATAN MWAHHAHAHAHA. Just kidding it helps a person express their feelings just by listening to it.
I threw that in for kicks, although there was a time where playing records backwards to check for hidden messages was a noble task. Some still believe in the myth - nevermind that even IF there was intentional messages there, people won't hear them when records are played in their intentional direction - forward.

But there's also this Satanic association with playing records or mp3s backwards for ANY reason. Certainly metronomic time plays the same in that direction as well. But I was just guessing. I don't even know how to flip a track over the vertical in my DAW to check it out, but theoretically, the metal genre seems like it would fit the bill.

And of course who wants to play anything backwards, for ANY reason, who grew up in the 80s when the myth was strong.

aha the last one is great. But twice the effort also culminates in twice the endorphins
And there lies the real rub here. Those of us playing jazz see the metal genre as an infection that should be avoided at all costs for precisely the reason that we don't want to get used to those endorphins for fear it will infect into the rest of our playing. And I would add just about every other genre out there.

We're afraid we're going to like metal.

Last edited:
Well I think music is in the ears of the beholder. I've been playing my instrument since I was 8 years old-a lifetime of whacking. And my taste in music has continually changed and evolved as I have-it's for the moment for me-cause that's all I got. I think how people receive music is different per person too (and their state of being at that moment)-empathic feelings arise music (some make you happy, some sad, some lively, some angry, etc) from how it's perceived. One person hears heaven the other hell. I really like the fusion of music that's going on now-music with heavy jazz influence really hits my buttons nowadays. If anyone ask me what kind of drummer you are-rock, metal, jazz, etc-I just look like a deer in headlights cause I don't think I really have a kind? Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die: So I Changed!

Last edited:
No dynamics
No acoustics
Metronomic tempo
Dominant side, linear drumming
--> boring

sort of describes a "money beat"...in any genre; 3 hours of blues/country is just about the same thing...I do 2 hour sets in a swing trio that is all brush work...and it is also the same tempo/dynamic/acoustic/structural setting...intro/head/40 solos by sax or trumpet/head/end...for 2 hours. Same tempo. Same dynamics.

Twice the energy required
--> health hazard

only if you do it with no knowledge of technique, which most drummers do in any genre; In fact, I get more instances of friends who play in non-metal bands that ALWAYS complain about back/shoulder/leg/ankle/arm/hand pain....very few of my metal and punk drummer friends complain about physical problems...

...and again, the complaints coming after 2- 3 hours of 116bpm "money beat" playing...really?

Plays just as good in reverse
--> a spot reserved in Satan’s drum circle

Satan is soooo 1970's!! 👹

And there lies the real rub here. Those of us playing jazz see the metal genre as an infection that should be avoided at all costs for precisely the reason that we don't want to get used to those endorphins for fear it will infect into the rest of our playing. And I would add just about every other genre out there.

We're afraid we're going to like metal.
well its not the endorphins of metal , its the endorphins of drumming at the fastest tempo humanely possible , all you need to do is to remind yourself that blast beats technically originate from jazz , as do so many other licks in metal. The brain is capable of different thought processes and here they should be applied.

Saying "metal" is like saying "jazz." It's not one thing.

Very little of what I listen to falls inside the description, though. I'm somwhat aware because of my students, but to the degree it was a thing for me it ws a teenage thing, though mind you just part of all the styles I listened to.

I wouldn't say I hate it, I'm just not all that interested which goes for a lot of other types of music, as well.

Not sure what styles I really like either it's more about certain elements that I think can be found in a lot of different styles.

one hint...from this 52 year old metal head...to keep your blast beat chops up is to not stop playing that way...even if the band/music situation stops calling for it. Keep up those abilities in practice!!

I have kept my hands up to my younger self speed, but my feet are way behind in catching up...
I will try that for sure! Thank you!

Last edited:
I've been a Metalhead since 1980 and I can tell you that among us there are genres of metal that wear thin pretty fast. I can only take blast beats for so long before I can't stand it anymore.
That being said, I'm always amazed and impressed that a drummer can do that so fast for so long. They're really very talented people.

Back