Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

There’s enough hate in the world already without hating on musical genres, certain drummers, or drum brands. I genuinely feel sorry for hateful people; they project their own insecurities onto others and generally expend a lot of energy p@ssing on other people’s chips…the whole point of publicly hating a genre is to belittle the people who enjoy that genre and feel superior to them. It’s one thing not to enjoy a genre, it’s another thing entirely to go out of your way to publicly hate it. Quite sad when you think about it…:unsure:

Those of us who survived the '80s suffer a form of PTSD called 'Hair Shock' characterized by extreme anxiety when experiencing stimuli associated with the hair related disasters of the period...and frequently that association is to Metal.

I think the definition of the genre is wide enough that we cannot say there are trends to liking and disliking...so much variety that I find myself liking some and not others...like any genre.

What I have heard of 'extreme metal' is lacking in song focus and more on style and athleticism...though even that is a generality...and even what that sub-genre IS creates debate.

I think the adrenaline aspect of music fades with age and experience(though not completely : ) I find myself over stimulated by my day job and with little tolerance for drama and aggression or music that has narrow texture...including banal pop or blast-beating desert soundscapes...but mix it up with some real skill and taste and I'm there!

Last edited:
Metal drumming to me is akin to getting in shape for the Olympics but the music generally depresses me. It's like Satan's house band. I dig people that honestly get into it but to me they are weird..ive tried to like it but I just cant. Sorry.

As you probably realized from this thread......even if most don't play it or even listen to it, practically all drummers appreciates metal drumming. Very few actually hate it.
Yup.

Derek Roddy was interviewed by Drumhead magazine. He laid it out very succinctly. I paraphrase:
“If the drummer isn’t on fire and nailing it at high tempos, it doesn’t matter how good the rest of the band is, because it’ll sound and feel lousy.”

He talked about his last gig and how the crowds were so thin that he actually ended up paying his way for the last few shows. His income was from breeding vipers, not drumming.

Maybe haters hate it because playing well is so difficult yet massively under appreciated by a wide audience.

53E580C7-155A-4967-9C8E-AB60E5C01FA8.jpeg

I think any drummer can and should appreciate the chops a good metal drummer has. I know I couldn’t take metal gig as it is a very specialized skill set. Since I really don’t like metal , I’ve haven’t developed the necessary skills needed to play the genere.

i have a student that loves metal and I am happy to say I was able help him develop the skills to join a popular regional metal band.

Although I like metal, when I hear metal I don't like (which is actually most of it) I can totally get why people hate it. What baffles me is people who hate metal I like.

😊

Metal is one of the genres that doesn’t interest me at all, along with Polkas, techno dance music, Innuit throat singing and others.
But I don’t ‘hate’ it. I just spend my time elsewhere.

One thing that does reduce its artistic value is drummers whose sole purpose is achieving continuous16th notes at certain extreme metronome tempos. That sounds more like a Guiness World Record attempt rather than musical expression.

But again, I normally don’t comment (except for this thread which asked a specific question) and just move on. So no ‘hate’, just no interest.

Wow. Miserable that a player of that calibre can't make a good living from it. :(
Agreed.

In the interview he talks about his audition with Dream Theater and how his enthusiasm for drumming was waning before he got the call. His wife encouraged him so he listened to their music and he managed to get fired up for the audition. His audition was the only one where the sound engineer flubbed the recording and what’s heard on the video is the camera mic. Derek was disappointed by this and figured they’d already decided who they wanted before his audition even began.

As a metal fan, I think it’s a great but wide genre. I enjoy listening to all types, and especially the drums.

I grew up on thrash as my gateway, Slayer, Sepultura, Overkill, Tendencies, etc…

But to drum it, it’s pretty intense and can take a toll especially on older folks.
I can even say these days, I don’t so much enjoy blasting some metal songs. Always thinking of breaking a cymbal, head, stick, or bone lol.
Physically, it’s not a sustainable foundation, especially drummers that kill with speed and force.
Add 20-25 years down the road, and the same band takes it down a couple of notches, it’s easily recognized by fans.

Saying that, progressive metal, what the hell? It’s almost impossible to cover or takes a master effort.

What are we supposed to do to gain this type of proficiency?
Do drummers take the Muddy Waters pact then migrate to prog-metal?

I can see how this style is polarized.

Wow, this is really great! What a unique style and setup - looks really fun to play! Plus, props to him for the single pedal commitment.

I'm a death metal drummer. If people hate me because of that, I just dont care. I still like y'all and your pop/hip-hop/country/rock/jazz/classical/swing/funk/disco music.
I had a local guy buy a kit off of me a few years ago that told me he was into horror metal. Nice guy all tatted up with a cute little girlfriend who helped him with the load out. I guess it has something to do with horror movie soundtracks or something? Not sure, had never heard of that genre.

I had a local guy buy a kit off of me a few years ago that told me he was into horror metal. Nice guy all tatted up with a cute little girlfriend who helped him with the load out. I guess it has something to do with horror movie soundtracks or something? Not sure, had never heard of that genre.
Me either, I'd bet your guess is spot on though. Or at least related somehow. So many subsets of metal anymore its hard to keep track of all of them.

I'm willing to say there is some sort of metal for everyone. Slow, fast, growly, singy, pretty, ugly, its all there. There is even Chriatian Death Metal. Blast beats in the name of the Lord.

It's just music. We are just people. I wonder if John Carpenter or Stephen King catch flack for not making normal movies or writing normal stories?

Metal is one of the genres that doesn’t interest me at all, along with Polkas, techno dance music, Innuit throat singing and others.
But I don’t ‘hate’ it. I just spend my time elsewhere.

One thing that does reduce its artistic value is drummers whose sole purpose is achieving continuous16th notes at certain extreme metronome tempos. That sounds more like a Guiness World Record attempt rather than musical expression.

But again, I normally don’t comment (except for this thread which asked a specific question) and just move on. So no ‘hate’, just no interest.

so, I hear this point/argument made a lot....

and always wonder why it is ok for a saxophonists (John Coltrain) or trumpet players (Miles) or any other non percussion instrument to do the same thing, but not for drummers...

and I think that argument is made by people who don't really know the genres/styles well...that kind of extreme speed playing is a facet of just a few styles of metal

- and I agree...too much of that stuff gets monotonous...but also, too much of "money beat" also gets monotonous...too much of crazy, time signature/textural/wierd arrangement stuff gets monotonous...too much jazz gets monotonous, too much classical gets monotonous

what I have found as I have grown is that variety makes EVERYTHING more relevant after a while...variety erases "hate"...because it requires education, vulnerability, and awareness

and I also really like your definition of "just spending time elsewhere"...that is how I see it too. I don't hate country, blues, rap, pop, and hip hop necessarily...they just don't hold my attention, so I go elsewhere

I'm willing to say there is some sort of metal for everyone. Slow, fast, growly, singy, pretty, ugly, its all there. There is even Chriatian Death Metal. Blast beats in the name of the Lord.
In my limited experience, this album kicked it all off:

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg

I respect metal in addition to the drummers who play it well, but I don't listen to it. I used to listen to A LOT of heavy music in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. I had my time with it, and I just find the genre tiresome right now. I'm not really angry about anything anymore, I've grown up a lot, and at this point in my life, metal is about as appealing as a heated political discussion. Some people thrive on it, and that's great! Go do that. I'm simply not going to because I can't relate to anything that's being said in the music. I know metal fans have the attitude of "You just don't get it!" Don't worry; I get it. I just don't listen to it. I do have a deep respect for the people who play it because it's not for the faint of heart.

When it comes to this forum, I don't see any "hate" towards this genre at all. I think that's one thing that's really cool about this forum is that church drummers can have conversations about drumming with the folks who play doom metal. We celebrate our victories together, and we sympathize with each other when our gear fails or we have a bad show. I don't know how many times, I've posted a video of my playing and others on here will say something like "I don't listen to country music, but you played that song really well!" If this "hate" towards metal drummers exists, I simply don't see it here.

Maybe the most critical people of metal are metal fans. I know that's how it seems to be with Dream Theater. 🤣
Excellent summary @PorkPieGuy!

What would be the cause of all the undeserving hate towards metal? Metal when one looks at it is not only noise but has a certain technicality to it , and it does take a while to fully appreciate the genius of metal. Along with that it takes sheer endurance and technique in all the instruments in metal , not forgoing the vocals. Do drummers from different genres value metal? Or look at it as a source of inspiration? Also do most drummers agree metal has the fastest drumming with the most power and endurance?

ps i know i havent phrased this question properly , but this is all i can think of right now , Please humour my mistakes or word errors
The original question begs to understand: from whom does the hate come? As others here have mentioned, this forum has drummers from across the globe with as varied experience and knowledge of drumming anywhere on the planet. No hate for any musical genre or style, just drummers talking drums.
Where are you getting hate?

Back