Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Must watch the "Release the Slayer fans" skit in Youtube.

I would love to meet Steve Asheim to me his and Pete Sandoval's drumming paved the way to blast beats and the insane speeds we hear today.

I would lso add Charlie Benante to the early speed pioneers...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I've often asked myself how the hell do they remember an entire set list ? !

I used to ask my self that about jazz and country since it all sounds the same...but 5 years of playing both - along side my crossover/thrash band, I have a system.

and also, you tend to remember original stuff more than covers b/c you are part of the creative process, and are more immersed in its defintion and development

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This different recording proves that the lead guitarist ruined the song (in the prior version). 😀 Bass guitar and better recorded drums and a background instrument would be good stuff. 😀
There are lots of little nuances that get lost in the music, especially if one is not familiar. I must admit ghost notes are hard to find. They are there if looking hard enough though.

I've listened to that album (Human) hundreds if not thousands of times. I still hear new stuff in it I hadn't heard before.

Mastiff

There are lots of little nuances that get lost in the music, especially if one is not familiar. I must admit ghost notes are hard to find. They are there if looking hard enough though.

I've listened to that album (Human) hundreds if not thousands of times. I still hear new stuff in it I hadn't heard before.

I really wanted to like Human, but I can't get past the vocals. When I heard the drum/bass version a while ago I was sad that they hadn't approached it differently. I guess people like that screamy stuff, but it's not my thing. Lamb of God is another band that sounds so cool until the vocals kick in, IMO. Well, they came to mind, but it's a common theme as I work through the metal out there.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

yep...i love albums like that! That should be a new thread topic.... 🤔

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I really wanted to like Human, but I can't get past the vocals. When I heard the drum/bass version a while ago I was sad that they hadn't approached it differently. I guess people like that screamy stuff, but it's not my thing. Lamb of God is another band that sounds so cool until the vocals kick in, IMO. Well, they came to mind, but it's a common theme as I work through the metal out there.
I like the growling, but that's part of the draw of the music for me. I want my metal to be angry and ugly. Maybe I'm a purist lol.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I like the growling, but that's part of the draw of the music for me. I want my metal to be angry and ugly. Maybe I'm a purist lol.

it took me a while to get used to the cookie monster vocals, especially starting with Maiden, Queensryche and Fates Warning. I still can't take some of the extreme stuff seriously...but, I still listen to music for the instruments first. The vocals are usually tertiary in what I hear behind instruments and textures

my "gateway" into cookie monster vocals was Venom first, and then Morbid Angel...

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
it took me a while to get used to the cookie monster vocals, especially starting with Maiden, Queensryche and Fates Warning. I still can't take some of the extreme stuff seriously...but, I still listen to music for the instruments first. The vocals are usually tertiary in what I hear behind instruments and textures

my "gateway" into cookie monster vocals was Venom first, and then Morbid Angel...

Has anybody ever done a DCI show of any major metal band songs? Sorry, random question

doggyd69b

I never cared for the lyrics much, otherwise I would have never listened to Deicide, Slayer and other metal bands whose message was ....questionable. To me it was and still is about the music. I too started with more "mellow" metal but slowly got converted to more extreme. However, I am starting to dislike how more recent (read modern) bands rely on overly distorted vocals and super slow "breakdowns" to try to make things heavy (Slaughter to Prevail and the likes) when in reality bands like Pantera have proven that you don't need a 7 string guitar tuned to extra super low to sound heavy and bad ass. (Pantera's song "it makes them disappear" comes to mind as an example). Now you have bands like BabyMetal using a 9 string guitar which at that point is pretty much a distorted bass.. But I digress. I think the vocals are Chuck Shuldiner's fault, he created the style and others just emulated it . John Tardy (Obituary) is another great screamer... (It actually takes talent to do what he does and he is abnormally loud when performing, to the point that it has been said that he can be heard even without a mic during rehearsals)... The difference between those old school growlers and the ones from today's music is that even though it was growling you could still understand the words that were being used. You can't understand today's "singers" and that is part of what frustrates people as well.

doggyd69b

I gigged between 1994-2002. That was the company I (we) were trying to keep. Got to jam with those guys as well as many others. It was a fantastic time that I enjoyed and now am glad is over.
Maybe you got "domesticated" (from the release the Slayer fans skit)....

s1212z

I always loved this groove Gene is doing here, and he is doing the double strokes on his left foot. And with a left hand/open style, he has got all these creative options on the kit akin to Simon Phillips that I never usually hear in this genre.

The hot topic I see now is swivel double bass. IDK, but to me swivel sounds best on a single and double strokes for double kick seems more economical (and arguably get just as fast but with more endurance). That said, I haven't practiced double bass in quite a while so I'm probably out of touch on this topic.

NackAttack

I've often asked myself how the hell do they remember an entire set list ? !
and also, you tend to remember original stuff more than covers b/c you are part of the creative process, and are more immersed in its defintion and development
This. Complexity gives way to familiarity, like in most genres I assume. I’m a metalhead and I took a gig for a friend with 20 some song set list. It’s praise and worship music. I hadn’t heard 98%of the songs before. I’m sitting there asking myself how someone could possibly remember which song has snare/FT build ups where and which exact same tom pattern was in which of the 13 different songs. Dang non denominational hipsters making me question the integrity of my memory banks. I realized my feelings are what one of them would experience if I gave them a set list of metal songs. “It all sounds the same and how do they remember which blast beat goes where?

Attachments

• 029F0DC5-4C4D-4493-8AC1-CEE806EF638D.jpeg
    029F0DC5-4C4D-4493-8AC1-CEE806EF638D.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7

bud7h4

Silver Member
This. Complexity gives way to familiarity, like in most genres I assume. I’m a metalhead and I took a gig for a friend with 20 some song set list. It’s praise and worship music. I hadn’t heard 98%of the songs before. I’m sitting there asking myself how someone could possibly remember which song has snare/FT build ups where and which exact same tom pattern was in which of the 13 different songs. Dang non denominational hipsters making me question the integrity of my memory banks. I realized my feelings are what one of them would experience if I gave them a set list of metal songs. “It all sounds the same and how do they remember which blast beat goes where?

I'm not sure that's what I was referring to. Listen to Guttural Secrete's album "nourishing the spoil"(I won't post a video because of the album art). There's an entire album worth of riffs and changes in every song, and the drums are insane. And they don't sound like anyone else I've heard.

NackAttack

I'm not sure that's what I was referring to. Listen to Guttural Secrete's album "nourishing the spoil"(I won't post a video because of the album art). There's an entire album worth of riffs and changes in every song, and the drums are insane. And they don't sound like anyone else I've heard.
I know that album lol. I got a little off base in my post and ranted about things that sound similar. I see your point, but I think
you tend to remember original stuff more than covers b/c you are part of the creative process, and are more immersed in its defintion and development
is still the answer to this (for me anyway). Not trying to downplay the impressiveness of it, because that is some incredible work.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Maybe you got "domesticated" (from the release the Slayer fans skit)....
I grew tired of being a working musician. That lifestyle is not for me. I like writing music and playing drums. I dont care for constant travel, sleeping in a vehicle, not being at home basically. I need normalcy in my life.

MntnMan62

I don't dislike metal just for the sake of disliking it. It's just not my thing. I haven't heard any metal that I really like. I will say that I truly dislike the hard goth type metal where the vocals are the low pitched monotone growling/screaming. And I don't find anything particularly creative about super fast playing. I do appreciate super fast playing so long as it fits into the tune. Lots of fusion stuff that involves super fast playing. But at some point, more notes degrades the music. Clearly this is just my opinion and I don't judge someone based upon the type of music they listen to. But then again, if all you want to listen to is goth heavy metal, I won't be hanging out.

Supernoodle

I can't get into metal, vocals and guitar sound for me is impossible to digest. Drums are incredible... But maybe it just takes time to get into it. The other day I put on Coltrane's 'Love supreme', and at first glance it could be called the worst typical jazz noodling that turns people off, but once you get it it's great!