Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

J-W

I know people rip on pop music, but I will say it straight out, try to write some yourself and post it on YouTube. It is freakin hard and just because something is popular doesn't mean that it is inherently poor quality. I think some of the modern music is brilliant, much isn't, but never throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say.

My best friend was the bass player in a fairly successful pop band in the mid/late 2000's (by fairly successful I mean 3 record deal with Island, appearances on The Tonight Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live, song used on trailer for the show "House", made it to #41 on the charts, etc...), and while it's not my cup of tea, they were a very talented bunch. Live performances were practically flawless and there were no autotune or backing tracks used.
Like you said, it's not all poor quality, or even poor musicianship in many cases.

someguy01

Pop music tends to be aimed at the 15-22 year demographic, and on the average those groups from each era swallowed up pop music of the time. At the same time, all those outside of the target demographic, mostly loathed what was pop and made all the same comments we see again, and again, and again. It lacks talent, it has no musicality, the lyrics are awful, the music of my day was better.
Music moves forward constantly, people do not as "change" has become an expletive in modern society. Look had vehemently people fight progress of any kind.

Arjun Diwaker

Agreed. My point is though, that your posts are kind of an elitism in themselves. In defending metal so vehemently you are perpetuating the problem. It's like a person so keen not to discriminate a disabled person that they end up patronising them.

The problem of elitism is solved by tolerance and acceptance. That cause is not aided by beginning large debates about people hating genres. Your threads were out of context, by which I mean, nobody around here was saying "pop is amazing and metal is trash". Furthermore, earlier on in this thread you have stated that you "despise" talentless teenagers who make hip-hop records, because it doesn't take as much skill as making metal. Is that not elitism?

You go on to eschew all pop stars as talentless, saying anybody capable of producing a good pop record can become the next pop star, while metal takes countless hours of dedication.

Your posts are the most elitist here.
i see , then i have been the biggest fool here lol. But just to clarify i kinda did it overboard with the teenager thing and should have just named the one person who gives me the willies , but i have mentioned that person so it would have been a error on my part. I do tolerate pop and occasionally do listen to it, i also love jazz , opera and grunge rock. When a person makes a good pop record , they are more likely to have a larger gathering of fans as compared to a metal record of the same calibre. as for the talentless teen , here is a vid that might make you change your mind.

i agree that i have come upon the threshold of being an elitist , but what i meant specifically is that i do not agree with the artists that have purely come out on the basis of carefully marketing their images through other shows and using that to jump start their careers. Well from now on i shall keep my posts in context and try not to be an elitist. Thanks for identifying this fault!!

Arjun Diwaker

Pop music tends to be aimed at the 15-22 year demographic, and on the average those groups from each era swallowed up pop music of the time. At the same time, all those outside of the target demographic, mostly loathed what was pop and made all the same comments we see again, and again, and again. It lacks talent, it has no musicality, the lyrics are awful, the music of my day was better.
Music moves forward constantly, people do not as "change" has become an expletive in modern society. Look had vehemently people fight progress of any kind.
err with a few exceptions of course , i technically am almost 15 lol. But yea pop is aimed for the high school area of music distribution.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

so I guess for me, the argument might not come down to pop having any ki
well maybe an extension of this post , do you find that the modern audience just claps for anything anyway it is presented on the drum kit? for some reason i absolutely despise it when the audience goes WHOOOOHOOOOOOO and cheers for a horrible display or perfomance on the drums? Personally i jsut wish the audience could differentiate fine playing from random hits.

I guess I feel that the modern, non-invovled audience claps for anything that gives them a momentary burst of "feeling good". Volume, speed, flash, visual excitement are instantly noticeable and cause a great reaction, regardless of execution.

from what I have experienced in all of the musical situations in my life: rock bands, concert bands, marching bands, middle school band, solo playing...most of the audience watching you are not exclusively involved in music. They are looking for a momentary distraction from what ever they are doing at the time. The mechanics of the musical execution are not as important as recognizability and escape.

I have learned to accept this in my latter years because it was always super frustrating to be a "Defender of/Champion of The Artistic Brilliance", especially to an audience who will never care. If the show/situation/crowd is there specifically to see Artistic Brilliance, then I put on that uniform. I have worked for many years to become a fairly proficient and educated musician....FOR ME. I realize that most of that work will be lost on 98% of my audience, but I don't care. If there are 2% of the people who know what I am doing, then it better be 100% solid.

I would tell you not to worry about how others perceive the music you love. They will - sadly - never know what they are missing out on, and it is no skin off of your back. you will find yourself always beating your head on the wall for the wrong reasons.

Otto

Platinum Member
"elitism
the advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society.
the attitude or behavior of a person or group who regard themselves as belonging to an elite.
"

The second definition seems snobby to people with ability/skill who's opinions vary from those without the ability/skill.
Might we be looking for the word snob instead?

"snob
a person who respects and likes only people who are of a high social class, and/or a person who has extremely high standards who is not satisfied by the things that ordinary people like:
"

Without this distinction we can assume intention which is a prejudice all unto itself.

The use of such a distinction is to avoid punishing the seeking of ability by defining such a pursuit as negative.

In short, we can pursue ability and the perspectives it reveals without saying those without those perspectives are patently wrong except where logic prevails....and the appreciation of art IS NOT logically deducible.

"...thoughts are words are thoughts are words are thoughts..." An abstraction of cognitive science conculsions on linguistics.

Otto

Platinum Member
Such discussions often devolve into semantics so an impression of a word must give way to its common definition as supported in documentation...e.g. a dictionary...otherwise its an opinion war...exactly what this discussion seems to be about...opinions stated as facts about the subjective quality of art.

Thoughts are words are thoughts after all. : )

for example, if I say BLM do i mean Black Lives Matter or do I mean Bureau of Land Management?

Misusing meaning to match public emotive distortion removes communication and supports manipulation.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Such discussions often devolve into semantics so an impression of a word must give way to its common definition as supported in documentation...e.g. a dictionary...otherwise its an opinion war...exactly what this discussion seems to be about...opinions stated as facts about the subjective quality of art.

Thoughts are words are thoughts after all. : )

for example, if I say BLM do i mean Black Lives Matter or do I mean Bureau of Land Management?

Misusing meaning to match public emotive distortion removes communication and supports manipulation.

we seem to be seeing a lot of that in the past 15 years...

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I think it's classified as death metal that I despise with the low graspy vocals that ruins a perfectly good metal song to where I just end up listening to the music and drummer which are usually really good. Put a really good rock singer in it's place and the difference would be astronomical for me. However it is possible I would of liked that type of vocal as a teen but I don't think so. The music 11 year olds like today I don't really care for either, but if I were 11 today, who knows.
That is my favorite part where they electrocute the patty cakes lead singer. My voice is a bass, and well frankly I get enough tenors and sopranos in the pop world.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Agreed. My point is though, that your posts are kind of an elitism in themselves. In defending metal so vehemently you are perpetuating the problem. It's like a person so keen not to discriminate a disabled person that they end up patronising them.

The problem of elitism is solved by tolerance and acceptance.

Tolerance, yes absolutely. Not sure about acceptance however. Crucial difference in the meanings of those two words.

Last edited:

TMe

I like to make fun but, being serious for a moment...

People are wired differently. Some people are chronically under-stimulated. They'd die of boredom if they didn't engage in high-risk activity, or at least listen to metal or scream at sporting events. The screaming vocals in metal are actually good for their state of mind.

Other people, like me, are chronically over-stimulated. The last thing we need is some guy screaming at us.