Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

TMe

You can bet I'm going to find a few who execute it so perfectly that it would be impossible to not be impressed
Consider it a Heavy Metal talent search.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Consider it a Heavy Metal talent search.
If you're suggesting the talent in metal is sparse or lacking, that wouldn't even warrant a response. My problem with metal though, as a fan, is that over the last few years, "extreme metal" has become the music version of extreme sports.
I hear fans talk about how heavy and "brutal" some band is, and to me it's not that at all. It's just really fast. In fact, all the "heavy" and "brutal" is lost because they're playing so fast that the music sounds thin and weightless, like a bumble bee rather than a freight train.

SVBJECT

If you're suggesting the talent in metal is sparse or lacking, that wouldn't even warrant a response. My problem with metal though, as a fan, is that over the last few years, "extreme metal" has become the music version of extreme sports.
I hear fans talk about how heavy and "brutal" some band is, and to me it's not that at all. It's just really fast. In fact, all the "heavy" and "brutal" is lost because they're playing so fast that the music sounds thin and weightless, like a bumble bee rather than a freight train.
The problem is bands dont know how to utilise silence.
If the first beat of the song is a 32nd kick, and the last beat is a 32nd kick, and there's nothing different in between, I have minimal interest.
Example, a little bit grindcore, but The Berzerker, amazing band and they know how to use silence and rests to accentuate how heavy the rest is.

Heavy without space to appreciate how heavy, is not heavy, its just noise.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I think "brutal" now also refers to how low the vocals are...like in the Slam genre and recent "core" genres

the instruments are not part of the brutal in many cases

calan

Silver Member
I don't know what brutal means now. It's certainly changed meaning since all of the -core subgenres came into being.

Stuff like this is more on what I consider the paradigm of brutal:

SVBJECT

I don't know what brutal means now. It's certainly changed meaning since all of the -core subgenres came into being.

Stuff like this is more on what I consider the paradigm of brutal:

Agreed, it's the massive hit of sludge inserted. For a while "heavy" just meant fast, and in my mind it was the rediscovered love of bass - following the emergence of modern sludge and doom as becoming more popular - that the brutal thing came in as a definition of the latest trendiest heavy thing.

TMe

Usually when I hear metal, my first thought is "They need to drown the singer." That has nothing to do with the instrumentals.

Last edited:

Sonic Defender

do i hate it? no. do i acknowledge its technicality? yes. do i like modern metal? no.

apart from the fan base that seems like 50 year olds who go on every pop song and comment “this isn’t real music, real music is metallicahhhh and weezer”, i don’t see the appeal of screaming and growling as lyrics. there are likely many people who enjoy that kind of feature (for reasons i can’t understand) but for me it’s a no. when i was in my heavy music “phase” a few years ago i liked a few bands, but even then it wasn’t all screams, but when i listen to new material it almost always drives me away. guitars overdriven and distorted until you can’t even tell what note they’re playing, toms that sound like farts, kick drums that have 0 tone (triggers, i get it), most of the time lyrics have no meaning. and the bass is pretty much non existent so i don’t like that aspect either (but why would you need a bass when you can have your rhythm guitar guy playing the lowest note he can with his overdriven guitar)

damn now i sound like one of those 50 year olds on youtube comment sections, how ironic
So funny, I'm 53 and grew up on as you would expect 80s and 90s metal (although prog rock was my main thing) I actually love modern pop. When I practice I will put on some Katy Perry and Zed. I actually prefer modern music now even though I'm aging. I rarely listen to music from my youth. I remember what my ex partners father once said. This man had fat little sausage fingers, but damn could he play piano, unbelievable. He once said to me there are two kinds of music, good or bad, and it depends what you like. I think for me I just want music to feel fun, the opposite of all the angst and anger that permeated everything I listened to as a teenager. Saying that, last weekend I played along to Sweeet Child in Time by Deep Purple, Fool in the Rain and Razamanz.

With music I have always felt that your mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open. That is ripped off from a great bumper sticker.

TMe

...for me I just want music to feel fun, the opposite of all the angst and anger that permeated everything I listened to as a teenager.
Same here. At a certain point, I stopped asking "Is this good music?" and started asking "What's this doing to my mood?" I still like loud, distorted, aggressive guitars, but more so when people sound like they're having fun. I don't need music that reinforces the worst aspects of my character so... no whining, no raging temper tantrums. Anger is okay, but no whining or impotent rage allowed.

SVBJECT

Same here. At a certain point, I stopped asking "Is this good music?" and started asking "What's this doing to my mood?" I still like loud, distorted, aggressive guitars, but more so when people sound like they're having fun. I don't need music that reinforces the worst aspects of my character so... no whining, no raging temper tantrums. Anger is okay, but no whining or impotent rage allowed.

How do you define between them? Style of vocals or subject matter?

TMe

How do you define between them? Style of vocals or subject matter?
It's pretty subjective, SVBJECT. Sometimes it's just the lyrics. A good example is The Specials, a Ska band I used to love. Upbeat music, upbeat vocals, but once you listen to the lyrics, they're relentlessly negative. Another band is Pink Floyd. If they didn't sing in English, I'd love that band. But all that endless whining... Sounds too much like me on a bad day. Whereas with metal, the lyrics are often silly and fun, but that voice (shudder). The singer sounds like a guy who's begging to have his teeth knocked out. Just gotta walk away.

Arjun Diwaker

It's pretty subjective, SVBJECT. Sometimes it's just the lyrics. A good example is The Specials, a Ska band I used to love. Upbeat music, upbeat vocals, but once you listen to the lyrics, they're relentlessly negative. Another band is Pink Floyd. If they didn't sing in English, I'd love that band. But all that endless whining... Sounds too much like me on a bad day. Whereas with metal, the lyrics are often silly and fun, but that voice (shudder). The singer sounds like a guy who's begging to have his teeth knocked out. Just gotta walk away.
hehe , but a fun challenge to puzzle people , is to bet 10 dollars per word of a metal song. U dont need to tell them its a metal song . Good way to make quick bucks.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Usually when I hear metal, my first thought is "They need to drown the singer." That has nothing to do with the instrumentals.

I feel the same about pop and hip hop....ESPECIALY all of the voice corrected stuff...which is all of it anyways

and I also HATE the voice corrected pop metal stuff that has come out in the past 10 years

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

this has always been my parameter, though I don't think I defined as clearly when I was younger

Arjun Diwaker

I feel the same about pop and hip hop....ESPECIALY all of the voice corrected stuff...which is all of it anyways

and I also HATE the voice corrected pop metal stuff that has come out in the past 10 years
I know this isnt supposed to be a hate forum , and i am apologizing for my comment right now , but im still gonna say it , I despise modern teenagers with no talent who go out in the marketed hip hop industry and make a big name with the most un imaginative and purely generic songs you have ever heard. I mean for an example if you look at bhad babie , and look at her history , she did go up on the doctor phil show and i believe she did try to use the shows influence to give her a career in rapping and the fashion industry , but that doesnt make up for the fact that her music has no musicality in it. Im gonna apologize once again if for this comment and i do not mean to offend anyone personally.

Arjun Diwaker

i feel modern music lacks actual genius, there are no more mozarts or beethovens in the pop industry , as most people now focus solely on the singers and not the entourage as well. There are no tricky time signatures , no abrupt pitches and no variations in the background music. I do not know much about theory but i do understand where different genres fall short and where the industry has to change.

( wow , at the time i wrote this i seemed to be extremely drunk on power , ahem please ignore the arrogant vibes its giving you and try not to take any offence , if i do manage to offend anyone by pure chance)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
i feel modern music lacks actual genius, there are no more mozarts or beethovens in the pop industry
Well, that would depend on the pop music. Some of it is clearly written for radio, which in essence is about as simple as you can get. There really is no more complex radio music. Its 2 riffs, chorus and verse. There might be an intro.

With pop music, I feel like the words are the most important thing. You dont need Beethoven's musical ability to create a hook then sing about partying over the top of it.

There is much more in depth pop music, but you have to find it. It's not on the radio.

Sonic Defender

I know people rip on pop music, but I will say it straight out, try to write some yourself and post it on YouTube. It is freakin hard and just because something is popular doesn't mean that it is inherently poor quality. I think some of the modern music is brilliant, much isn't, but never throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say.

SVBJECT

I know people rip on pop music, but I will say it straight out, try to write some yourself and post it on YouTube. It is freakin hard and just because something is popular doesn't mean that it is inherently poor quality. I think some of the modern music is brilliant, much isn't, but never throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say.
I think the issue is - it's fit to purpose. I wouldn't deny that it is made well to fit that purpose, but if its purpose is sell a million and be forgotten, then the focus is on that, and not on musicality or anything else. That's fine, and hard enough and takes talent, but its a different set of talents to playing an instrument to a high standard, or producing amazingly, or DJing well. It's a writing talent, but based on what you think others want to hear rather than expressing yourself, and therein lies the problem. It has to be shallow to appeal more generally.

I'm convinced the internet is the worst invention ever - but it makes it worse, things are targeted at getting likes and quick reactions, and then are forgotten, but leaving behind the followers. The tracks become more of a advert for an brand, rather than a piece of music.