Do famous drummers use other famous drummer gear?

iwearnohats

Silver Member
My guess is that the drummer in question would be comfortable playing the standard size, but "Hey, can we make a tweak here or there for me?"

Have a look at Mike Mangini's new drumstick, for example - the Wicked Piston, I think it's called. He certainly didn't need that to play over 1200 single strokes in a minute :)

tcspears

Gold Member
Have a look at Mike Mangini's new drumstick, for example - the Wicked Piston, I think it's called. He certainly didn't need that to play over 1200 single strokes in a minute :)
I always forget he's from Boston (well, Newton, but it's close) until I hear him talk, or he drops the word Wicked ;-)

Stroman

Platinum Member
If it were me, and another famous drummer was using my signature cymbal/snare, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. My line of thought would be "He/she has good taste!"
I think he meant the other way around.

"Jeez, I'm famous, why do have to use someone ELSE's signature snare/cymbal/stick/shampoo/pet care product??? Why don't I have my own??"

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I saw Jojo Mayer last month, and as far as I could tell his main snare was the Benny Greb signature model.

iwearnohats

Silver Member
I think he meant the other way around.

"Jeez, I'm famous, why do have to use someone ELSE's signature snare/cymbal/stick/shampoo/pet care product??? Why don't I have my own??"
Well, it goes both ways :)

If it were me, I'd be like, "Hey, this XYZ ride cymbal sounds brilliant!" I mean, the thing that made me decide to get 13" Paiste Sig Dark Crisp hats was from hearing Danny Carey use them - I fell in love with them back in 2000 and I still have the set I bought second-hand 12 years ago. I know it's not named after him, but if it sounds good, why not use it! I think only a very few people would be so self-centred and petty as to whine about not having their own named gear.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I know it's not named after him, but if it sounds good, why not use it! I think only a very few people would be so self-centred and petty as to whine about not having their own named gear.
I'm not saying any pro drummer would react that way (not many people at all, actually) but I think that is what the OP meant.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
We have quite some famous drummers on the forum by the way - Todd Sucherman or Gavin Harrison come to mind.

A lot of Meinl endorsers use Benny Greb's signature models, especially the hats.

Some of it is indistinguishable from one another.
I have a Yamaha brass snare where the only difference between it and the Garabaldi is the blue finish and label.
Same drum .
Nothing like marketing.

I'd gladly give up my virginity again to be able to own that Yammy Garibaldi Signature Piccolo Snare.