Do beginners really need pro drum kits???

gish

As a father of 5, I can say that it’s a great feeling to be able to provide my children with everything they need to excel in life. Personally I applaud parents that are willing to spend when their child shows interest in something. Often the parent doesn’t have much knowledge on the matter but is willing to spend some money to further their child’s education/development. That being said, the situation where I get worked up is when a kid DEMANDS better equipment. For instance, when the kid has been playing for a year and tells the parents he needs a DW Collectors and Zildjian K’s to get better. I’ve overheard many conversations like this while browsing my local GC.

Twakeshima

If you can afford it, I’d say shell out the cash for a nice kit. But the amount of drums: 5-7 toms, double bass, etc. is a little much. (This is coming from someone with a 7 piece kit) LEARN TO PLAY THE ESSENTIALS BEFORE ADDING MORE. New toys are fun, but if you don’t know how to use the first ones, there’s no point. If your kid really needs encouragement to keep going, get a great pair of cymbals. I was lucky enough that my first cymbals were some of the best I have and great cymbals make an ok kit sound great. But please, let the kid get good at what they have before giving the more.

Last edited:

VandelayNJ

I still think, don’t shell out the money for a top kit until the kid shows a bit of commitment. If he’s (or she’s) losing interest because his kit isn’t top of the line, then is he/she really interested in being a drummer or is something else going on? That said, if he’s (or she’s) losing interest in the lesser kit because he’s advancing his skills and knowledge then by all means, spend a bit or give him/her some goals to hit for you to reward him/her with an upgrade.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
mowed lawns, did odd jobs and save my money. Each week I would give whatever I made to my Dad, and one Saturday morning as I handed him the cash, he said, "OK...let's go get some drums." I'm in my 50s now, and Dad has been gone 35 years now. I have high level drums now, but what I wouldn't give to have those old Exports back right now.
Aw what a heartbreaking story.

danondrums

I think it’s great. When their parents end up selling the stuff you can get great gear at cheaper prices. :)
And pros don’t need pro gear either.

joombo

No need to spend lots of money on a kit when just beginning. Jump on Craig's List and drum sets are very popular. Most people buy a nice kit, find it's too much work-never have the time-wife makes them sell, then put it up for sale. I play the guitar and only recently I started using looper pedal, I read reviews here https://musirank.com/best-looper-pedal/ . It is an ideal pedal for across-the-board looping applications.

Last edited:

No Way Jose

Silver Member
The title is kits, as in pleural, pro drum kits. Well heck yeah! We all need pro drum kits. I figure I have space for three of them.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Maybe the question can be reworded to - is it fair when you see someone else with something that you feel you can put to better use?

picodon

Silver Member
That is definitely unfair but you can easily solve that by finally buying the kit you Deserve :)

I had a big discussion the other day with my 15 yo daughter who had just scraped the last cents of several years worth of pocket money together to buy a refurbished iphone 7, and thought it was totally unfair that I spent a similar amount of money on a new snare just because I had walked into a drum shop and suddenly Deserved it. But she still has plenty time to learn and understand these things 👹

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..is it fair when you see someone else with something that you feel you can put to better use?..

Instead of speaking about myself, i will say that in general i have not seen a lot of amateur or semi pro drummers playing on a $1500+ drum set who really needed that set..

That sentence should be read as one big euphemism btw..

trickg

Silver Member
...mowed lawns, did odd jobs and save my money. Each week I would give whatever I made to my Dad, and one Saturday morning as I handed him the cash, he said, "OK...let's go get some drums." I'm in my 50s now, and Dad has been gone 35 years now. I have high level drums now, but what I wouldn't give to have those old Exports back right now. I'm glad I wasn't just handed the top level gear right away (although to me, they WERE the best). The memory of the hunt for those drums is what I will forever cherish.
That's similar to how I got my first real bicycle, only it was doing chores and stuff around the house - mostly yard work. I pulled weeds, I edged the zoysia grass back from the sidewalk with a flat spade, mowed the grass, picked up boxes of twigs from the Chinese Elm trees around the yard - basically whatever chore around the house or yard Dad needed me to do. Then one Friday night he said, want to go to Sterling (Colorado) tomorrow and get you a new bike? Man, did I EVER! My bike was this blue banana seat thing that we'd gotten used, and it had problems from the start - the brakes didn't work very good, there was a bearing problem in the back wheel so that if you pushed too hard on the pedal, it would cause the back sprocket to push forward at an angle and the chain would fall off, the handlebars were stripped and wouldn't stay put....

I came home that day after going to all the places around Sterling that sold bikes with THE bike I wanted - it was a black and yellow Huffy All-Pro "Trax 4000" - knobby tires, pads, aluminum Lester brand mag wheels...I'm blown away that I found a pic of it on the internet. This is the exact same bike I had. It sounds like you and I had good dads.

nolibos

Thankfully, when I was a teenager, the whole "vintage" drum thing hadn't happened yet. I was able to buy a 1966 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle drum set (13, 16, 22, snare drum) with all original hardware and same era Avedis Zildjian cymbals. All for $200.
I did have a few really bad "drum sets" leading up to my Ludwigs.
Pro level gear circa 1966.