Do bandmates throw coins on your cymbals?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I always hear from my jazz instructor (trombonist) on how he and other non drummers used to throw coins on the drummers cymbals as a joke during shows. Apparently it is done a lot in the jazz scene or something as a joke on how to tip a drummer. I saw Tower of Power and some band member threw a coin on David's ride before/between songs. He chuckled.

How did this come about?

Why is this funny?

How should a drummer retaliate'?

Last edited:
It's "funny" because it sounds as if the drummer played an extra, unintentional note. Funny, of course, being a matter of opinion. It's annoying from the drummer's perspective.

I'm lucky that I've never played with anyone of this neanderthal-esque level of humor. If somebody did that to me, I might go as far as to bring a line-splitting stomp box to the next gig, wire their setup back to me (discreetly), and mess with THEM during THAT gig, playing samples through their rig or maybe strumming a guitar/bass or keyboard or something with my feet. Or, I could simply patch a delay pedal or phaser into their signal line, with the stomp box being back in my setup, of course...

Never heard of this, but I would say in this economy, I'd take the pay however I could get it! Even if it's one coin at a time! :)

Never heard of this, but I would say in this economy, I'd take the pay however I could get it! Even if it's one coin at a time! :)

hahaha lol

18, 19, 20!

this sounds incredible. i'd like to throw a few large coins at my mates fender twin

Never heard of that, it must be proper old school. I've heard of guitarists pulling other guitarists leads out if they dont have them wrapped around their guitar straps.

When I was in high school the Sousaphone guys used to throw coin at the tympani.
We retaliated by throwing down the huge bell of the sousaphone and listen to it rattle all the way down. Spent many hours after school.

I like to think it's an unspoken rule among respectful musicians that we can mess with and razz each other but to always leave the gear alone. I'd never mess with anyone else's gear and I'd expect the same. The worse I get is my horn player drumming her nails on my ride when she's bored at practice and the piano player and I making faces at each other. I do my fair share of shouting but It's never actually out of anger. I'm just a loud guy.

If I were in a jazz outfit where it was considered OK to throw coins then I'd start throwing bricks.

In the bike community, sometimes it is fun to reach over to your buddies bike just as the light turns green and turn off his kill switch. :) Now that I think of it, it could be kind of dangerous if the car behind him decides to go on the green anyways. Oops!

No coins, but my bass player used to ham it up by crashing my cymbals with the headstock of his guitar (this is where beefy manhole covers like Z Customs come in particularly handy). I repaid the favour though when I once spat a cigarette out that landed in the roll of his jeans (although the greater issue should be what idiot rolls the bottom of their jeans anyway!!). I tried telling him where it landed but he didn't understand.....at least until it burned through to his leg. Causing him to play one handed while hopping around one legged, slapping his ankle trying to put the the thing out. Laughed so hard I nearly fell off the throne. Payback is sweet!! :)

In the bike community, sometimes it is fun to reach over to your buddies bike just as the light turns green and turn off his kill switch. :)

That brings back memories....we used to pull each others keys out of the ignition before riding away. ;-)

No coins, but my bass player used to ham it up by crashing my cymbals with the headstock of his guitar (this is where beefy manhole covers like Z Customs come in particularly handy). I repaid the favour though when I once spat a cigarette out that landed in the roll of his jeans (although the greater issue should be what idiot rolls the bottom of their jeans anyway!!). I tried telling him where it landed but he didn't understand.....at least until it burned through to his leg. Causing him to play one handed while hopping around one legged, slapping his ankle trying to put the the thing out. Laughed so hard I nearly fell off the throne. Payback is sweet!! :)

That brings back memories....we used to pull each others keys out of the ignition before riding away. ;-)

Yep. We'd pull out the key and drop it on the ground as you pull away laughing. Had it done to me a couple times too.

Oh the good old days. LOL!! Thanks for the unexpected trip down memory lane.

I repaid the favour though when I once spat a cigarette out that landed in the roll of his jeans (although the greater issue should be what idiot rolls the bottom of their jeans anyway!!).

Hey! I have short legs and like to wear sneakers. Cuffing my jeans is completely necessary till I can take them to get tailored. Also rockabilly cats often sport the cuffed jean look.

I've never heard of this before, but I would consider it the height of disrespect.

Bermuda

No coins, but during practices our guitar player likes to try and 'play' my cymbals with a pick.... and grab my crashes as im about to hit, although usually thats inbetween songs so the cymbals are only being tapped and not hit. oh and ocassionally both guitarist and bassist use the end of their guitars on my cymbals.
I can't stand other people messing with my gear! I need some pay back I think

TM

I usually find the most irritating thing to do is to pick up their guitar half way through the rehearsal and play it better than they can. The same works for bass, particularly. I was in a band with a really terrible bass player for a while and that always made me laugh, especially considering I literally picked up a bass for the first time and could play it better...

In the bike community, sometimes it is fun to reach over to your buddies bike just as the light turns green and turn off his kill switch. :) Now that I think of it, it could be kind of dangerous if the car behind him decides to go on the green anyways. Oops!

In the bike community around here, like actual BIKE bikes, it's not uncommon for me to shove a broom handle in another cyclist's front spokes. Make for an interesting visual, and it's good exercise to outrun people chasing me down from the scene...

I'm as old school as you get, and I've never heard of the "throwing coins on cymbals" thing. I can tell you with confidence, though, that if anyone tried it on my gear they'd never ever think of trying it again.

I've never heard of this before, but I would consider it the height of disrespect.

Bermuda
2nd that. Anyone pullin' that crap around me, I'd be firing a drumstick back at 'em fast.​

2nd that. Anyone pullin' that crap around me, I'd be firing a drumstick back at 'em fast.​

Yup, drummer got sharp sticks!

I would be insulted. Good thing I don't play with people with egos. I hear horror story after horror story from all my band mates. Just very fortunate I've never had to deal with that sort of band environment.

Back