Do any other drummers out there write lyrics too?

I wrote the lyrics to this song (see what you think!) and was wondering if any other drummers out there write lyrics for their bands too? Have a listen on the link below if you like..

http://soundcloud.com/notbydesign/lesser-limits

The walls closing in,
Like fragments from my past,
They keep tryna trip me,
They just don't understand,

My heads spinning round,
Cos' nothing seems to last,
But my hearts in it's place,
And the future feels fast!

Time's running low
But we're aiming so high
Been dreamin' it babe
Let's kiss the sky!

And we live for the night forever,
With our heads in the sky together,
Breaking bars seeing stars, we're flying high girl,
Lesser limits I'm with it, it's a dream world,
Hearing music, ima use it,
make ya scream girl!

Times running low,
But we're aiming so high,
Been dreamin' it babe,
Let's kiss the sky!

Reality's an illusion,
filled with confusion,
Distracts us from the dreams,
That keep us movin'!

Strips us all to pieces,
Makes us cold and speechless,
Til' we're frozen like the rest of 'em
Who let it get the best of 'em.

And I'm feeling,
And I'm dreaming,
With lesser limits,
I'm losing, control,
With lesser limits!

make ya scream girl!

Lovetadraw

In my little garage band I was the lyricist 99% of the time. We did Emo-type music and I was apparently the only one with anything "Emo" to say.

P

plangentmusic

I wrote the lyrics to this song (see what you think!) and was wondering if any other drummers out there write lyrics for their bands too? Have a listen on the link below if you like..

The walls closing in,
They keep tryna trip me,

My heads spinning round,

Time's running low
But we're aiming so high
Been dreamin' it babe
Let's kiss the sky!

make ya scream girl!

Times running low,
Been dreamin' it babe,
Let's kiss the sky!

Reality's an illusion,
filled with confusion,
That keep us movin'!

Strips us all to pieces,

And I'm feeling,
And I'm dreaming,
With lesser limits,
I'm losing, control,
With lesser limits!

make ya scream girl!

Without hearing the melody it's heard to tell. There are some inconsistencies with grammar and tense but that's forgivable depending on the type of music. The rhyme pattern also seems uneven, but maybe it works within the song. It comes off more like freeform poetry than a story and that too works with some stuff and not others.

But what's missing most from these lyrics is I have no idea of the name of the song.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Lyrically, it appears to me that you are giving a women a pep talk, presumably with the aim of having transcendent sex with her, although it seems you're not asking her if she feels similarly. Sometimes we really do have a headache, you know :)

Or maybe you're trying to talk her into trying MDMA? Or trying to convince her to finance a startup enterprise with you? The mystery of art.

Musically, very good vocals and the lyrics flowed well. I was enjoying it until the uptempo chorus(?), which to me harmed rather than enhanced the musical flow.

Good on you for doing lyrics and good on the band for going with you. Many won't since you're "just the drummer" (me hit druns). In my current band there is no way in hell that my singer would sing any lyrics I wrote - he requires a certain level of social sophistication and that's not what I do.

I did write some goofy lyrics for some old bands, though. Mum was an author so I felt obliged given that I'd inherited some of her ability to put words together. Trouble is, I find it difficult not to sound like a nerdy wanker, which is my natural go-to position. Thanks Mum ...

This is a song by an old band. The written lyrics are as I wrote them because the singer messed with them a bit, which affected the meaning IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCR1ZDpGmjk

I started writing this lyric after reading the Thick as a Brick lyrics on the album cover (arguably the best lyric in rock history). Somehow my lyric ended up as a little fantasy that doesn't happen nearly often enough ...

Without hearing the melody it's heard to tell. There are some inconsistencies with grammar and tense but that's forgivable depending on the type of music. The rhyme pattern also seems uneven, but maybe it works within the song. It comes off more like freeform poetry than a story and that too works with some stuff and not others.

But what's missing most from these lyrics is I have no idea of the name of the song.

Freeform poetry's a cool way of looking at it, I'd also say it's freedom poetry aha. The songs called Lesser Limits and you can listen to it here: www.soundcloud.com/notbydesign/lesser-limits

Lyrically, it appears to me that you are giving a women a pep talk, presumably with the aim of having transcendent sex with her, although it seems you're not asking her if she feels similarly. Sometimes we really do have a headache, you know :)

Or maybe you're trying to talk her into trying MDMA? Or trying to convince her to finance a startup enterprise with you? The mystery of art.

Musically, very good vocals and the lyrics flowed well. I was enjoying it until the uptempo chorus(?), which to me harmed rather than enhanced the musical flow.

Good on you for doing lyrics and good on the band for going with you. Many won't since you're "just the drummer" (me hit druns). In my current band there is no way in hell that my singer would sing any lyrics I wrote - he requires a certain level of social sophistication and that's not what I do.

I did write some goofy lyrics for some old bands, though. Mum was an author so I felt obliged given that I'd inherited some of her ability to put words together. Trouble is, I find it difficult not to sound like a nerdy wanker, which is my natural go-to position. Thanks Mum ...

This is a song by an old band. The written lyrics are as I wrote them because the singer messed with them a bit, which affected the meaning IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCR1ZDpGmjk

I started writing this lyric after reading the Thick as a Brick lyrics on the album cover (arguably the best lyric in rock history). Somehow my lyric ended up as a little fantasy that doesn't happen nearly often enough ...

LOL. Na, It's just about freedom and living tryna transcened above average experience and live in the moment despite all the shit that's gone on, but there's a girl involved too in the story.

I had a listen to lost for words, and I'm impressed! Even if it is only little fantasy aha.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Freeform poetry's a cool way of looking at it, I'd also say it's freedom poetry aha. The songs called Lesser Limits and you can listen to it here: www.soundcloud.com/notbydesign/lesser-limits
I'm thinking rhyming doublets rather than freeform poetry.

Okay, I got the meaning wrong but I still think these lines sound like you're angling for a hot root, although now I'm thinking that I failed some kind of musical Rorschach Test :)

Time's running low
But we're aiming so high
Been dreamin' it babe
Let's kiss the sky!

make ya scream girl!

Ta for the comment on Lost for Words. Also wrote a song about the music industry and the gulf between dreams and reality ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJey6pyb54

Again, the singer added his own stuff. The words in the refrain are his (starting with "You're always in a hurry"). There's a couple of others but they're not uploaded.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I wrote many lyrics when I was a young drummer. But then I was in bands that either had no singer to sing them, the singer insisted on writing their own stuff, or in cover bands where the lyrics are set.

So eventually I stopped.

Several years ago I wrote my first complete song, music and all, with my own lyrics, and for the first time ever, the singer and band I was working with at the time agreed to do it!
Which became this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-e7QIxw0Y
(warning, dark depressing content)

Since then, I've written several songs and lyrics for them, but I can't sing to save my life, and I don't have a singer who can pull it of for me. So they sit until I do.

P

plangentmusic

Sorry I didn't hear the clip at first.

Okay-- you want an honest assessment? Here goes...

Lyrics aside -- there's no melody to speak of here. It just sound like made up notes to a rhythm. It lacks form. I couldn't tell where the chorus was. What's the memorable, or "singable" part of the song? The playing is also a little ragged and "nervous" in spots which doesn't help.

I think if you want to improve your lyric writing it would require working within more a structured framework. Verse-prechorus-chorus and a bridge. Where's the hook? Where do you want the listeners attention to go? What do you want them to remember?

I don't mean to sound too critical. But sometimes just a little adjustment here and there can make a huge difference. But you have to recognize the flaws in order to correct them.

The Black Page Dude

I write all the time for my band. We make great songwriters us drummers!!! In fact Gary Chester used to get his students to sing parts of his book The New Breed while playing the patterns. As drummers our voice is the most underutilized instrument we have ... even if we are just humming rhythmic parts.

I think your lyrics are great! Keep it up!

jwildman

I'm pretty sure Roy Mayorga from Stone Sour writes their lyrics. Corey Taylor probibly saves all his good stuff for slipknot

drstrangefunk

Tell Me Can You Find The Way To Love

Used To Be Together For So Long
Used To Be Together, Now We're Gone
I've Been Trying To Make Up For So Long
Tell Me Can You Find The Way
Tell Me Can You Find The Way To Love ?

Used To Live Together-One-In Peace
Used To Live For You And You For Me
I Don't Know Just What You're Going To Be
Tell Me Can You Find The Way To Love ?

Can It Be We're All So Out Of Reach ?
For So Long You Consoled Yourself Along The Beach
I Don't Know Just What You're Going To Be...
Tell Me Have You Found The Rising Sun ?
Do You Think That You're The Only One ?

[guitar solo]

I've Been Trying For So Long
Been Together Now We're Gone
I've Been Trying To Wake Up For So Long

[brrrrrrr--aaaaa--nnnnnnn--gggggggggggggggggggggggggg]

(c) 1996 by Uncle Ghee Music

drstrangefunk

The walls closing in,
They keep tryna trip me,

My heads spinning round,

Time's running low
But we're aiming so high
Been dreamin' it babe
Let's kiss the sky!

make ya scream girl!

Times running low,
Been dreamin' it babe,
Let's kiss the sky!

Reality's an illusion,
filled with confusion,
That keep us movin'!

Strips us all to pieces,

And I'm feeling,
And I'm dreaming,
With lesser limits,
I'm losing, control,
With lesser limits!

make ya scream girl!
yes.

drstrangefunk

itsbettertodieyoung

being as how everyone else offered their thoughts, i'll offer mine.

it rhymed perfectly. cleverly perfectly - rhymes within rhymes - good stuff.

lyrically, it seemed the world is a drag, but she is an oasis. and what's in it for her ? she'll have a good time too.

amazing how people see things differently.

i don't usually offer critiques because i feel the artist knows when he's got it right. but to get it right and have people miss it is a real drag.

Last edited:

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I write songs and lyrics too. Not very good ones. We jammed on one of them last practice, but I was playing guitar and the guitarist was playing drums. There was a saxophone player too. We were just tooling around.

Herman Rarebell wrote most of the classic Scorpions hits back in the day. Mainly, he spoke and wrote in English really well compared to the rest of the band from what I remember. So he was the one putting pen to paper on many hit songs.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Kinda related to the topic...

Listening to the radio the other day, a Wings song came on, I'm assuming the lyrics were written by Sir Paul. I didn't bother repeating any lines, these are the only lyrics

Somebodys knocking at the door
Somebody's ringing the bell
Do me a favor, open the door, and let em in.

Sister Mary
Martha John
Somebody else
Phil and Don
Somebody else
Somebody else
Auntie Gin

I mean Paul could sing the installation instructions for a gas grille and it would be a hit. But really these lyrics are so throw away it amazes me that he released them. One word comes to mind, filler.

I have a great deal of respect for Paul, but I have to call him on this particular song, it doesn't meet his standard IMO. Like he's coasting. I guess he's earned the right to coast. It's still lame though, no matter who wrote them. This and his "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" song...what lame prose. I can write lame lyrics too.

Counter needs wiping, too many crumbs
Out of Bounty, out of wipes
Counter needs wiping, holy cripes!

Lame.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Kinda related to the topic...

Listening to the radio the other day, a Wings song came on, I'm assuming the lyrics were written by Sir Paul. I didn't bother repeating any lines, these are the only lyrics

Somebodys knocking at the door
Somebody's ringing the bell
Do me a favor, open the door, and let em in.

Sister Mary
Martha John
Somebody else
Phil and Don
Somebody else
Somebody else
Auntie Gin

I mean Paul could sing the installation instructions for a gas grille and it would be a hit. But really these lyrics are so throw away it amazes me that he released them. One word comes to mind, filler.

I have a great deal of respect for Paul, but I have to call him on this particular song, it doesn't meet his standard IMO. Like he's coasting. I guess he's earned the right to coast. It's still lame though, no matter who wrote them. This and his "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" song...what lame prose. I can write lame lyrics too.

Counter needs wiping, too many crumbs
Out of Bounty, out of wipes
Counter needs wiping, holy cripes!

Lame.
I think the singer for RHCP does this too. But he calls it art.....blood bath, mainline, rib cage, soft tail, WTF? I guess you had to be there.