Do all guitarists think Black Dog by LZ is random magical timing?

Don't know if it's true or not, but according to Theodore Gracyk's book, Listening to Popular Music, Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Led Zeppelin, in the studio the acapella bits have a measure of 5/4, but live, they changed that to 4/4 so the band were more assured of all coming back in together.

That might be the case. But the problem I found with the original recording was that they pause on some of the breaks and don't pause on others. I haven't been able to count it out though. I've only been able to play it by feel. That's a cop out, I know. I need to sit with it and work on it some more.

That might be the case. But the problem I found with the original recording was that they pause on some of the breaks and don't pause on others. I haven't been able to count it out though. I've only been able to play it by feel. That's a cop out, I know. I need to sit with it and work on it some more.
I’m fairly certain all the vocal only sections are 4/4+5/4 on the studio album. But I guess that’s only if you count the parts out of the chorus as 5/8 or 3/8 depending on which one. But that count feels best to me as it makes sense to always start the vocal phrase on 1.

I don't think that's a cop-out at all. I've always assumed that even beyond not recording to a click (obviously), they deliberately choose to play those sections with a certain amount of rubato. And, again, there's at least the one Bonham stick click to lead the band back in, and maybe more than were successfully muted.

Not a cop out per se. Honestly, in 35 years of playing, I have consciously counted maybe 0.78% of the time other than when taking lessons in the first 10 years. I rely on feel 99% of the time......and it works for me. I occasionally count or count off breaks like on Reelin' in the Years but primarily for the band not myself. I find when I "get it" from a feel perspective......it sticks, where counting is an academic exercise for me.

Everyone works differently......go with what works for you. Of course if it isn't working, then try another approach.

I seem to remember Mr. Appice struggling with it a well.

Interesting conversation, about how to copy an original song by a band accused of copying! of course there is a count you can hear the sticks.. Didn't Robert Plant say after Robert Johnson we are all just beggars and thieves..

Interesting conversation, about how to copy an original song by a band accused of copying! of course there is a count you can hear the sticks.. Didn't Robert Plant say after Robert Johnson we are all just beggars and thieves..
I enjoy the quote that is something along the lines of success in music is usually about copying and not being caught. There’s some truth to that I feel.

Back