Do 90s Stage Customs need extra long tension rods?

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
Ordered 16 Gibraltar T-bar rods - and gorgeous looking and finished things they are too.
Gutted to find that despite being described as the 'large' size (113mm), they need to be at least 10mm longer, and possibly more to give slack for unhooking the hoops.
Does any company actually make T-bars this size?
My drum is a 20" 'full length lug' Stage Custom from the late 90s, with stained wood finish shell and hoops.

Not with a T handle, but numerous length rods can be found at Precision Drum.

Thanks matey. Got a thing about the vintage look of the T-handles tho.
And the bass drum hooks are the least attractive bit of metalwork on these SCs - a rough looking forging that will benefit from something to distract the eye.

Brainwave!
I have a brand new coated Remo Ambassador reso head on this bass drum - could it be that it needs to be thoroughly stretched before use?
Could that be why the new tension rods appear to be too short???

Slight thread hijack., Had no idea anyone used T bars. I bought a crap quality cheap Millenium BD cause it was 20 x14 and its got T bars....nice touch I thght.

Brainwave!
I have a brand new coated Remo Ambassador reso head on this bass drum - could it be that it needs to be thoroughly stretched before use?
Could that be why the new tension rods appear to be too short???
Probably not enough to make 1cm difference. Perhaps the claws stick out a bit farther on the 90s kit than they do now? Does maybe it have aftermarket, wider hoops? It's weird that the rods arent long enough.

Slight thread hijack., Had no idea anyone used T bars. I bought a crap quality cheap Millenium BD cause it was 20 x14 and its got T bars....nice touch I thght.
Probably not enough to make 1cm difference. Perhaps the claws stick out a bit farther on the 90s kit than they do now? Does maybe it have aftermarket, wider hoops? It's weird that the rods arent long enough.
Damn. The hoops have to be original - the 'chestnut stain' is uncommon and perfectly matched.
I've read about people pre stretching Remos to make them hold tune and to 'break the glue line' - any idea what the heck that means?

Perhaps someone with a 90s SC kit will measure a rod for you. Or if you have an original one, put them side by side.

I've read about people pre stretching Remos to make them hold tune and to 'break the glue line' - any idea what the heck that means?
Remos make a cracking sound when you first tune them. It the extra glue in the collar channel cracking. It's quite horrifying if you haven't experienced before. Your brain envisions the new head you just bought tearing out. It doesnt, but you will think it does.

Perhaps someone with a 90s SC kit will measure a rod for you. Or if you have an original one, put them side by side.
I do have the original rods in place, and they appear to be the 125mm ones that I've just found are available as Yamaha spares.
My problem is therefore that no-one seems to make T-rods in that length. ?

I do have the original rods in place, and they appear to be the 125mm ones that I've just found are available as Yamaha spares.
My problem is therefore that no-one seems to make T-rods in that length. ?
DCP has 2 in stock. They are expensive:

There are 16 used on reverb.com that say they are from a SC, but they are 115mm. That and its $100 for all 16. Seems a bit inflated for used.

DCP has 2 in stock. They are expensive:

There are 16 used on reverb.com that say they are from a SC, but they are 115mm. That and its $100 for all 16. Seems a bit inflated for used.
I agree. I can't find any UK listings for any original Yamahas and they are expensive.
Thanks for trying, Mr P. ?

Oh, Lordy.
Ordered these - only to realise the dumkopfs had quoted the length of the entire T-bar rather than the shaft/spindle length like every other supplier on planet earth. ?
Thanks to Swissward Flamtacles for pointing out my mistake in time to cancel my order!

Back