DIY-ing FX hats

microkit

So I've got a set of Sabian 14" Flat Hats, and I think they do the 'sounds like a record' thing well enough, but would like to try a ventilated 14" FX cymbal on top. Any suggestion for vented/drilled FX cymbals as a top hat? They all seem to be either too expensive (I was hoping to be under $100, which is actually what almost all of my cymbal have cost) or terrible (B8 or other cheap lines that don't do it for me).

Old Dog new Cans

I would suggest looking for a single hat/crash that's cheap, but a b20, and drill it out yourself. rdavidr on youtube has done this, at least he has videos on drilling cymbals--making efx cymbals. FInding one cheap may prove difficult.

iCe

Paiste PSTX! Either a Swiss Thin Crash or the Flanger Crash. Both come in 14" size. One of them is €80 and the other €85, but i guess in $ it would be roughly the same prize. Yes, they are cheap... but considering their price they do sound amazing IMO.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Any suggestion for vented/drilled FX cymbals as a top hat?
+1 for Paiste PST–X for a unique ƒx hat, but I don’t know how it would pair with a solid bottom cymbal.

Reactions: iCe

doggyd69b

I would suggest looking for a single hat/crash that's cheap, but a b20, and drill it out yourself. rdavidr on youtube has done this, at least he has videos on drilling cymbals--making efx cymbals. FInding one cheap may prove difficult.
buy a cheap Whuan cymbal and drill it yourself, try without drilling first as a stack you might just like it and leave it that way but if you must drill Wuhan are very inexpensive.

microkit

I'm adept at finding cheap deals, 16" crashes were the least desirable for years. Like the $99 Stupid Deal Of The Day was always a Sabian 16", often made just for MF (I'm pretty sure). This set happens to be 14".

microkit

buy a cheap Whuan cymbal and drill it yourself, try without drilling first as a stack you might just like it and leave it that way but if you must drill Wuhan are very inexpensive.

This has occurred to me, not sure if I'll find Wuhan 14" crashes though. I have some terrible 10" splash and got a 10" Wuhan/Agazarian 'good' splash to make it amini hat set.