DIY Gong Drum

JimFiore

Silver Member
I made a gong drum to go with my Starclassic Maple kit. It was a lot of work to match the dye for the finish (Vintage Antique Maple) but I think it came out nice. The pic is of the unit sitting next to a 16" floor tom so you can make a comparison. Unfortunately the flash rather washes out the wood grain but you can at least see the color. It's all Tama hardware with a Keller shell.

I have a G1 on it but I think I need something even thinner for the sound I'm after. Amazing amount of bottom end on the thing.

DIYGongDrum2.jpg

Very nice! Great job on matching the colour. I can see the wood grain fine with this pic, and if you'd told me this was an actual Tama drum, I'd have believed you.

Only thing that worries me about gong bass drums is how exposed their bearing edges are...

Funny coincidence, I was just discussing gong drums with Jeff, Larry, & Rich the other week ;)

It's all Tama hardware with a Keller shell.
First up Jim - major props on the stain job. You have a great eye. Given the different absorption rates across grain form, that's not easy to get right.

I'm curious about the lugs you've used. Did you use dedicated gong drum lugs or standard die cast with enough insert movement to accommodate the splay?

Only thing that worries me about gong bass drums is how exposed their bearing edges are...
That's where care is needed for sure. I do have some thoughts on this for the future though. Not sure yet, but watch this space ;) ;) ;)

How does having the over-sized hoop affect the sound, compared to just using a standard size hoop?

I'm still trying to figure out what I would use a gong drum for. I'm coming up blank.

How does having the over-sized hoop affect the sound, compared to just using a standard size hoop?
it's a combination of hoop isolation & head to edge orientation, but mostly the latter. There's a significant increase in head sustain. Think timpani.

I'm still trying to figure out what I would use a gong drum for. I'm coming up blank.
Oooh - unctuous instrument with a multitude of possibilities. Just think of any occasion when a floor tom doesn't go deep enough, & here's your gong drum. Great for atmosphere & in conjunction with bass drum work. I love 'em!

First up Jim - major props on the stain job. You have a great eye. Given the different absorption rates across grain form, that's not easy to get right.

I'm curious about the lugs you've used. Did you use dedicated gong drum lugs or standard die cast with enough insert movement to accommodate the splay?

The lugs and hoop are designed for the Tama gong drum. It was a bit more expensive than generic but I knew it was going to work so that's the route I took.

That's not stain though. It's aniline dye (but you knew that, right?). I found some "antique maple" dye but it wasn't quite right. I had to make a custom dye by mixing that with some other stuff. It was a tweaky job to get right and I'm not sure I could repeat it. Lots and lots of test patches on some scrap shell.

Of course, now I'm thinking about making a matching set of Octobans (Keller makes a 6x18 maple) but I have no place to put them...

I would like to get even more sustain and overtones out of this. I have a G1 on it already. I think the only thing left would be a timpani head (closer to the sound I want) but I have no idea if a 22" timpani head would fit this (never having changed a timpani head I'm not even sure if they're constructed the same way).

it's a combination of hoop isolation & head to edge orientation, but mostly the latter. There's a significant increase in head sustain. Think timpani.

Oooh - unctuous instrument with a multitude of possibilities. Just think of any occasion when a floor tom doesn't go deep enough, & here's your gong drum. Great for atmosphere & in conjunction with bass drum work. I love 'em!

Very nice job!

Gotta love the gong, I use them, like KIS said, an extra low floor or 808 like sound, sometimes triggered with an 808 sample too.

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/h...3_10206521562457419_3622524644979261184_o.jpg
(converted standard 20x17 kick)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1439608872_0d0a08ea06fd8567ad9aa750d95ec3ea
DW 21'' gong (with the 22'' head)

Best use of a gong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l037bbnZR0
Gary Wallis with Floyd back in the '94. Use a good sound system, and get blast away. Awesome!

Last edited:
Jim, that turned out awesome. Well done.

Same with me, but I've got to commend you on the build. That looks great. I've been wanting to build my own drumset since I was a kid, but it always dawns on me that I'd end up with the set I already own!

Thanks for posting pics. I have a feeling there will be a few more gong drums built by guys on this site.

GeeDeeEmm

Yep. 20" shell with 22" head.

Back