DIY Drum Shield

acsunda

So I don’t have the space or the resources to build an enclosed drum booth, so to cut down on reverb and unwanted echo, I decided to make a drum shield with some plywood and some foam I ordered. I think it turned pretty nice!65E281FF-1C16-47A5-91BE-5D4A581B92D5.jpegACF7EB6D-F331-4F3A-B372-260480D04E22.jpeg

NouveauCliche

So I don’t have the space or the resources to build an enclosed drum booth, so to cut down on reverb and unwanted echo, I decided to make a drum shield with some plywood and some foam I ordered. I think it turned pretty nice!View attachment 96576View attachment 96579

Very nice.

Two questions:

1. How is it standing up? Are there hinges holding it together?

2. How often do you see battle in that armor? Are you a knight?

acsunda

1) Yeah, hinges and it’s in two parts (not connected in the middle), to make it easier to move/store.

2) More often than you’d think...lol
(my drum room serves as an armory, workshop, and library)

NouveauCliche

1) Yeah, hinges and it’s in two parts (not connected in the middle), to make it easier to move/store.

2) More often than you’d think...lol
(my drum room serves as an armory, workshop, and library)

Ahh - I didn't realize it was four panels: So it's 2 and 2 on a hinge - no feet or anything: free standing?

That's a pretty sharp idea: how much $$ do you think you're in total? I've debated doing something like this or picking a real shield for a while just for house ambient levels.

Looks great.

acsunda

Ahh - I didn't realize it was four panels: So it's 2 and 2 on a hinge - no feet or anything: free standing?

That's a pretty sharp idea: how much $$ do you think you're in total? I've debated doing something like this or picking a real shield for a while just for house ambient levels.

Looks great.

Right, free-standing. The plywood panels and hinges were about $100 at Lowe’s (although I could’ve gotten cheaper, lower quality wood in the same size), and the foam was like $50 on Amazon. I’m sure it’s probably not studio quality foam, but it should work for my purposes.

NouveauCliche

Right, free-standing. The plywood panels and hinges were about $100 at Lowe’s (although I could’ve gotten cheaper, lower quality wood in the same size), and the foam was like $50 on Amazon. I’m sure it’s probably not studio quality foam, but it should work for my purposes.

Well that's pretty cool - substantially less expensive than even a cheap shield and pretty sturdy.

Now you just need to finish it the same color are those drums!!

acsunda

For those who don’t have an SUV or pickup truck (or power saw), Home Depot will cut your plywood into smaller pieces. For instance, you buy a 4’x8’ sheet and they will cut it into four 2’ x 4’ pieces for a few dollars.

Your car still needs to transport the 2’ x 4’ pieces. You would have to measure it out.

Actually, Lowe's had 2'x4' plywood sheets. No need to cut.

Thats an awesome build! What foam did you use? I've been thinking of making something similar.

I a ordered a 48 pack of 2"x12"x12" squares on Amazon.

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
For those who don’t have an SUV or pickup truck (or power saw), Home Depot will cut your plywood into smaller pieces. For instance, you buy a 4’x8’ sheet and they will cut it into four 2’ x 4’ pieces for a few dollars.

Your car still needs to transport the 2’ x 4’ pieces. You would have to measure it out.

HD will do 2 cuts for free, and then a small fee after that. I have a sedan that has a folding rear seat so the 2 x 8 will fit in the car. Precut 2 x 8 cost more than a 4 x 8 cut by you at the time.

acsunda

Did you use 3/8” plywood? What thickness do you recommend after completing your shield?
I used 1/2” for sturdiness.

rexo76

Nice work. I'm contemplating on doing something similar. Just wondering if you took measurements before & afterwards to see how effective it is?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Nice work. I'm contemplating on doing something similar. Just wondering if you took measurements before & afterwards to see how effective it is?

I realize that this thread is 2 years old, but I wanted to comment to help you out. :)

I played at a church one time that knew they were not going to move the plexiglass shield very much, so instead of buying a shield, they bought one big, thick sheet of plexi and had it bent twice. It was the best looking shield I've ever seen because there were no hinges or joints...just two bends.

eric_B

I played at a church one time that knew they were not going to move the plexiglass shield very much, so instead of buying a shield, they bought one big, thick sheet of plexi and had it bent twice. It was the best looking shield I've ever seen because there were no hinges or joints...just two bends.
Just wondering as I never used one: doesn't the plexiglass work as a 'soundmirror', reflecting all the sound to you?
You get both the outward and inward sound of the drums/cymbals (needing 2 earplugs for each ear ;))?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Just wondering as I never used one: doesn't the plexiglass work as a 'soundmirror', reflecting all the sound to you?
You get both the outward and inward sound of the drums/cymbals (needing 2 earplugs for each ear ;))?

You MUST wear earplugs or good-fitting IEM's if you use one. They are horrible if you don't. The drums and cymbals don't have room to "breathe" and every bit of the sound comes right back at you. Not protecting your ears behind plexiglass is a horrible experience that no one should have to go through.

eric_B

You MUST wear earplugs or good-fitting IEM's if you use one. They are horrible if you don't. The drums and cymbals don't have room to "breathe" and every bit of the sound comes right back at you. Not protecting your ears behind plexiglass is a horrible experience that no one should have to go through.
OK, thanks, I figured as much. They probably don't come with sound dampening foam because the drummer would be invisible but otherwise it would make sense.