DIY Cymbal from Rotor

Local Oaf

This past weekend I changed the brake pads and rotors on my wife’s Toyota Sienna. It got me thinking that I could make a ping-y or gong-ish cymbal out of one of the rotors after I de-rust it a bit.

Plan A: Lower a straight cymbal stand as low as it could go (for tipping-avoidance purposes) and mount the rotor on it like a cymbal. I would get two large washers to accommodate for the differential in hole sizes.

My worry is that putting it on a stand will require extreme tightness, which will kill the sound output.

Plan B: Hang it from something with wire and actually make it into a gong-like thing.

I don’t have a good spot to hang it from and I don’t really want to.

Conclusion: Have any of you seen this done before? My internet sleuthing skills didn’t turn up anything. Any logistical pitfalls you can think of before I go charging headfirst into this?

The good news is I have two of them to use, so I have multiple bites at the apple available.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
In HS we had a perc ensemble piece that was comprised of lots of found percussion. That included brake rotors and brake drums. Iirc the brake drums were laid on a table on top of a towel, and the rotor was suspended from two of the holes on the hub similar to a Grover Pro Miller triangle mount.

Ghostin one

I remember go-go bands in D.C. using brake rotors, usually laid flat on a table with a towel beneath.

I've seen bands in the Caribbean use truck brake drums, too.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Where I live....HS marching bands use rotors and ball pein hammers for field metronomes. Creates an obnoxious "don't stand within 50 yards unless you want to go deaf" ping.

Not sure how it would work as part of a kit, but why not try it....

You certanly don't need our permission.

Lol

Local Oaf

Where I live....HS marching bands use rotors and ball pein hammers for field metronomes. Creates an obnoxious "don't stand within 50 yards unless you want to go deaf" ping.

Not sure how it would work as part of a kit, but why not try it....

You certanly don't need our permission.

Lol
Hahaha thanks for the heads up. I probably wouldn’t use a ball peen hammer. You brought up I good point though. In all my hypothetical RDavidR-ing (yes, that is a verb), I haven’t actually hit the rotor with anything yet. I have no idea what it would sound like. I should probably try that before I invest time and/or money into the project. Thanks!