DIY $4 Axis Pedal Trigger

microkit

I got some piezo contact pickups from eBay or Amazon to hook up to a PDP/KAT pad I have. Was going to hook up a curved beater to strike downwards and never even considered that the geometry of the pedal and DD linkage prevent it. With some foam, carpet tape, scissors, and the velcro included with the trigger, it's working perfectly so far!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 22
Wow so you trigger the pedal rather than bass drum head? Is that common for bass drums-I'm not familiar with it? Seems like it would get beat to death or feel a bit different? All you really need is the pedal then-that's pretty cool for minimalist. So did you do it for a double pedal?

Wow so you trigger the pedal rather than bass drum head? Is that common for bass drums-I'm not familiar with it? Seems like it would get beat to death or feel a bit different? All you really need is the pedal then-that's pretty cool for minimalist. So did you do it for a double pedal?

I don't have a double pedal, and my current drum 'brain' only has one kick input, but I'm 75% sure it will work with a double pedal and a stereo splitter/combiner cable. I don't know how often people do this vs a trigger on the kick drum head (if you watch the NIN March Of The Pigs video you can see Chris Vrenna with a separate pedal, a trigger, and a beater made to strike down at the trigger pad). The Axis system does not require a beater and the trigger is built onto the pedal. I've never used one but it looks solid and expensive.

I'm sure it feels different, and if it doesn't work well with a drum, I can always just stick the trigger to the drum. If it gets beat to death, I replace the trigger with another, I got a package of 3 or 4, but also, it's taped to foam and being struck by foam. My guess is the tape or foam gives before the piezo case gets trashed.

NICE! Good to see someone do this successfully! I was looking at On Trigger and FootBlaster, but realized I could probably build something for a fraction of the price. Looking forward to getting started now.

Back