DIXON Precision Coil Pedals

Another coil spring pedal? To design a coil spring pedal just to do something different is lame IMO.

And IMO again, nothing feels inherently as smooth as an extension spring pedal.

Missed that at NAMM, didn't know about it! It's looks nice, I don't have an opinion either way about springs or cams or such. As with anything tactile, I'd have to try it in order to make a judgment. I always like to keep an eye/ear/hand/foot on new products & designs, just to be sure if I'm using the best gear for my needs, or if I can move forward. I'll check these out when they show up in stores.

Bermuda

Looks super cool. I wonder what a "precision spring" feels like.

Doesn't look like a bad pedal at all, the quality looks good and the double => two single pedal conversion looks very straight forward.

Interesting market for them to get into... I'm curious as to how the coil works with a chain drive. The only other pedal I can recall at the moment with a coil spring is the Trick. The look of these is quite attractive at least.

Unfortunate that they didn't use better U-joints in the driveshaft.

I wish our store carried Dixon I would like to try one out first hand. Looks like a nicely designed pedal for sure.

Really! I don't know much about u-joints but have had bad experiences with play on that type, which were on my DW 9000 pedals. The Trick design has given me much better luck but I haven't tried to suss out differences between different models of the same type presented here.

In case some of us haven't noticed, Dixon has dumped a lot of cash and R&D into building their drum products on a much higher level of quality. If you look closely and read some of the literature about the company's new products, you will notice a new emphasis on mid-level gear, and many products that can compete with the major brands. I don't own a single piece of Dixon product, but I have kept my eyes open on their new developments. Dixon is shedding their entry-level reputation. They're a company that bears watching.

GeeDeeEmm

Here's the best look at it on video.

Traditionally compression springs don't do well in the pedal market. Ghost, TAMA KING BEAT and of late TRICK have tried with TRICK being the most popular not bc of the comp spring, but mostly other features. DIXON is trying to come in cheaper, they've blinged it out w/chrome. I'll wager it won't swing a lot of peeps away from extension springs tho.

Isn't Ludwigs Speed King a compression model? They seem to have done OK.

Isn't Ludwigs Speed King a compression model? They seem to have done OK.

Yup, SPEED KING is a compression spring, did/done OK, but extension springs have always ruled when it comes to BD pedals. I watched the other vids, this DIXON pedal is actually a torsion coil spring, not compression. GHOST was a torsion coil, albeit a flat fatty that was never going to break, the result was terrible feedback vibration.

Has anyone produced a torsion coil spring pedal like this BF? I don't think so.

A gallant effort by DIXON, where they're at with R&D reminds me of SLINGERLAND in the 70's. The heel plate hinge looks questionable, and if anyone is going to break a BD pedal spring IMO they'll have their best chance at doing so with this torsion coil design as the ends are the weakest link.

Last edited:
I believe the ghost has one spring under compression, while the other is under extension, and both are coil springs.

DIXON just released their Precision Coil pedals. They look gorgeous and have an interesting design. Anyone have any experience with DIXON drums or hardware?

I tried it. Looks nice and well built (though bulky for my lightweight taste). Didn't feel any different from most pedals I tested at NAMM, even though I spent some time adjusting it. Which might be a good or a bad thing.

Really! I don't know much about u-joints but have had bad experiences with play on that type, which were on my DW 9000 pedals. The Trick design has given me much better luck but I haven't tried to suss out differences between different models of the same type presented here.

Ah. The dixon joints are much better than the 9000 which is more a pin and block design.

Pedal looks nice on their website.

I've heard Dixon puts out some solid stuff............It's just hard for me to get past the "beginner" label I've associated with them.

It's just hard for me to get past the "beginner" label I've associated with them.

Agreed. But they seem committed to succeed and had a lot of nice, very well built drums at NAMM. They cooperate with artists, drum builders and engineers to push their craft, not just copying anymore.

Mapex had similar problems with their brand, but are now considered to be OK.

I have one and like it quite a bit. Tension is a little tight, even when dialed back, but it just took a little while to get used to.

I also have the Trick, and a few others.

Back