Dixon Drum Discovery

Frank

Gold Member
I recently stumbled upon a Dixon kit. Never really knew anything about these drums. Saw a great deal online on a Dixon Fuse kit, and I took the plunge.

I'm loving this kit. Sounds beautiful to me, and it looks beautiful. My previous kits have always been in the standard name world - basically Tama and Pearl. Never thought I'd have one of these kits, but I'm glad I stumbled upon them.

Ever see or play one?

Attachments

Artstar

Platinum Member
Never played one but I've known of them for a long time. They look like high quality stuff.. especially their top line custom sets..

They also make drums and/or shells for quite a few other companies from what I remember.

KamaK

Platinum Member
They also make drums and/or shells for quite a few other companies from what I remember.
I 'think' my GW's may be a custom order from the Dixon factory, and was assembled by Pork Pie.

Dixon makes really nice stuff.

Artstar

Platinum Member
I 'think' my GW's may be a custom order from the Dixon factory, and was assembled by Pork Pie.
AH !!! I've been snooping around trying to figure out what they were doing.. I knew they were built from scratch out of the U.S.. but did'nt know who exactly was putting them together. ..... These guys are all in the same circle I assume.. they probably talk non-stop about suppliers and where to get what.., who to get to build these and those shells.. etc,.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Why do you think so???

GeeDeeEmm
When I was looking to buy one, I came across numerous posts that speculated on where the shells were manufactured. While it is a trade secret, the small tidbits of public information indicated Dixon in Taiwan.... Not that it's a Dixon drum set, but that the shells are custom spec batch ordered from the factory that Dixon owns and uses to produce their own drum sets.

I know the Porkpie bit because there was a press release on FBook in 2017, a card that came with the kit, and one of the stock heads had Porkpie branding. I believe this changed on subsequent (2018) runs. Ron's post about it is here on the forums somewhere.

The shells are quite remarkable, as is the hardware.... but the sound is the best part. If the shells Dixon uses are anywhere near as good as these, then I imagine that they are fantastic.

Frank

Gold Member
The shells are impressive. Beautiful and sound fantastic. The toms sound fantastic.

Frank

Gold Member
I logged a ton of time on that Fuse kit these past few days. [memorizing material for an audition tomorrow night]

My only complaint is - they don't make my kit anymore. It has a few different attributes that I love:

- Natural satin finish
- Silver satin powder coated hardware
- The sizes are my sizes - 18" BD, 12 and 14" toms, 14" SD

They don't have any of that in their current line up.

Great kit though.

vyacheslav

Frank,

I have that EXACT kit. I love it! It looks like a million bucks and sounds fantastic! It's a mix (3 plies cherry and 3 plies mahogany). An interesting mix that sounds really good. In particular, I really like the snare on this kit.

I was lucky enough to find another one recently in the same sizes, but in Candy Apple Red matte finish. As much as I like the look of this kit, I am an old fashioned, shiny chrome hardware guy. I'm thinking about replacing the lugs and mounts on this kit with regular chrome stuff and in particular, using tube lugs on the drums themselves. To me that would just ooze classiness.

I'm glad you found one. A highly underrated kit. If anyone ever has the chance to acquire a Dixon Fuse kit, do it. You won't be disappointed.

Frank

Gold Member
Frank,

I have that EXACT kit. I love it! It looks like a million bucks and sounds fantastic! It's a mix (3 plies cherry and 3 plies mahogany). An interesting mix that sounds really good. In particular, I really like the snare on this kit.

I was lucky enough to find another one recently in the same sizes, but in Candy Apple Red matte finish. As much as I like the look of this kit, I am an old fashioned, shiny chrome hardware guy. I'm thinking about replacing the lugs and mounts on this kit with regular chrome stuff and in particular, using tube lugs on the drums themselves. To me that would just ooze classiness.

I'm glad you found one. A highly underrated kit. If anyone ever has the chance to acquire a Dixon Fuse kit, do it. You won't be disappointed.
If you swap them out take them off carefully. 😀. If I ever find new old stock on a similar kit but it had the shiny hardware maybe I’d buy it from you.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Somehow, someway, I ended up "liking" Dixon's Facebook page (probably b/c of a giveaway or something), and they push A LOT of content out on it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Gregg Bisonnette came to a clinic here and he is a Dixon endorsee. He was playing a Artisan kit but has a Fuse kit there for us to bang on afterward. Fuse is still making fuse per their website. You can tell new by he new Logo

Frank

Gold Member
I had to come back and offer an update after logging so much time with the kit.

I really can't say enough about the tone of this kit at this price point. I have played several very expensive kits, and a bunch of inexpensive kits. The tone of this Dixon kit is the closest I have ever been to the tone I look for.

If they still made the precise kit I have, I'd buy a second and get rid of my other equipment.

Rock Salad

There is a craigslist/tulsa set with Sabian cymbals and all stands and I think with extra heads for $400 reduced after sitting for a while at $500.

Frank

Gold Member
If I buy any other Dixon drums, I would Have to stick precisely to the makeup of the shells I have, because, again, they are, to my ears, the best sounding shells I have played. The shells on my Fuse kit are a combination of mahogany and cherry plies. Never heard of that before, but that's what they are, and, I can't love them any more. :)

RobertM

Platinum Member
Gregg Bisonnette came to a clinic here and he is a Dixon endorsee. He was playing a Artisan kit but has a Fuse kit there for us to bang on afterward. Fuse is still making fuse per their website. You can tell new by he new Logo
G-Dad,
How did Bisonnette's Artisan Dixon sound in person?