Discussion- Worst Song You've Heard

SVBJECT

Have we discussed this one yet?

I will defend this song so hard.
Don't get me wrong, it's one of the worst things ever, HOWEVER:

It is not meant to be good.

It is pop. I am not saying quality and pop are entirely mutually exclusive, but I am saying pop takes precedence of quality.
The point of pop, is to sell, to be talked about, to make people know it. There is no part of the concept of pop that requires anything more than it to be popular. The list of god awful pop is endless, take The Cheeky Girls, I'd say a far worse track than Friday, but Friday is infinitely more famous - why? Because it is better pop music. The fact it's "music" is actually pretty irrelevant. If humans sense of smell was superior to our sense of hearing, musicians would all be perfumers, and pop perfume would be sweet and disgusting, but it doesn't matter, as long as it sell, a LOT. It's a product or a brand guised as (insert medium here).

The criteria to be pop and the criteria to be art, have 0 overlap. They can overlap, that's fine, and credit where credit is due on that one, but to be good pop (music/art/perfume/whatever) only requires it to be popular, and whilst I'd rather it DID overlap with quality - and there is plenty of great pop songs which are genuinely good music too - I think there's a certain something to be said for someone who can somehow turn absolute garbage into successful pop.

With this in mind, I think Rebecca Black's Friday is literally one of the best pop songs ever written (and no, I don't think I've ever actually heard it the whole way through and have no intent on changing that).

SomeBadDrummer

That Thunder and Lighting song from whoever the hell it is.
This one? Yeah it's pretty aweful...but what Pop song ever claimed to be good? the goal is simply sales, so whatever the kids'll buy

SomeBadDrummer

I will defend this song so hard.
Don't get me wrong, it's one of the worst things ever, HOWEVER:

It is not meant to be good.

With this in mind, I think Rebecca Black's Friday is literally one of the best pop songs ever written (and no, I don't think I've ever actually heard it the whole way through and have no intent on changing that).

Ummm, if it's all that good then why not listen all the way through? :unsure::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Not only is it not one of the best pop songs ever written IMO, it is an inconsequential flash in the pan that no one besides the 'performer' will remember next year. Except maybe 13 year olds studying for an exam lol.
Oh, and I lasted about 22 seconds before my head was going to explode, so I chose to keep my brains.

Last edited:

Spreggy

Silver Member
I have a new one, for me at least. Whatever that "music" was during the halftime show, that meandering piece of pop sewage, devoid of all soul, performed poorly even though lip-synced, absent any redeeming qualities. And who in the world spawned this genre of "entertainment" whereby a singer sings to a record, surrounded by a bunch of dancers? Does anyone actually like this stuff?

SomeBadDrummer

The Shepherd

They play this piece of garbage every 1/2 hour up here on the local rock station. Grrrrrr

Vandalay

The point of pop, is to sell, to be talked about, to make people know it. There is no part of the concept of pop that requires anything more than it to be popular.

Well in terms of actual popularity, this song wasn't,..only made it to #58 on billboard. It's only notoriety was based on how annoying it was. "Pop" isn't bad by definition, it means you don't like it.

toddmc

Gold Member
Sorry, but you're all wrong- THIS is the official worst song ever.

As if the repetitive, generic house beat wasn't enough, the "lyrics" (if one could call them that) consist solely of a 20-something girl making vapid comments on her night out in da club (and of course taking multiple selfie's).

Seriously, I defy you to find worse!

SomeBadDrummer

They play this piece of garbage every 1/2 hour up here on the local rock station. Grrrrrr

I have to agree that it’s garbage. Never heard it before thankfully

SomeBadDrummer

Sorry, but you're all wrong- THIS is the official worst song ever.

As if the repetitive, generic house beat wasn't enough, the "lyrics" (if one could call them that) consist solely of a 20-something girl making vapid comments on her night out in da club (and of course taking multiple selfie's).

Seriously, I defy you to find worse!

Where do you find such nonsense, and who in the world actually listens to this? Pre teens wanting to be the girl?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have a new one, for me at least. Whatever that "music" was during the halftime show, that meandering piece of pop sewage, devoid of all soul, performed poorly even though lip-synced, absent any redeeming qualities. And who in the world spawned this genre of "entertainment" whereby a singer sings to a record, surrounded by a bunch of dancers? Does anyone actually like this stuff?

hasn't that been every SB halftime show since 81 or 82?

and sadly, yes, most of the population LOVES this "music"

I continued my 30+ year of turning off the sound during halftime, especially since there is no more Beavis and Butthead Halftime specials on anymore. I used to flip over to MTV for those

I could barely stand the National Anthem...but the H.E.R. performance of America the Beautiful was good...

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

If I hear a song I don't like I just turn it off. But I've heard a lot of modern-production-type songs that immediately (like three seconds tops) turned me off due to how the vocal sounded. Usually super conformed pitchwise, and parallel compressed so that everything is the same volume. I mean, yeah, I guess it sounds "good" but it no longer sounds human and I just can't do it. So since it's a quick guttural reaction I can't name any of them. But I think we all have that radio station in town that plays these types of songs. Club tunes, really.

SVBJECT

Ummm, if it's all that good then why not listen all the way through? :unsure::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Not only is it not one of the best pop songs ever written IMO, it is an inconsequential flash in the pan that no one besides the 'performer' will remember next year. Except maybe 13 year olds studying for an exam lol.
Oh, and I lasted about 22 seconds before my head was going to explode, so I chose to keep my brains.

Ummm, because its awful? The point of my argument is its fit for purpose. I don't like said purpose. I work in craft beer - a brewer can make a beer I hate, but I can appreciate that it sells well without wanting to drink it.
Also, seeing as it came out in 2011, and here we are talking about it, I think your about 9 years too late to predict its 1 year life span.