Discuss.

Until these haphazard gatherings are executed correctly, safely, BY THE GUIDELINES, just stay home, put on a nice pair of headphones and get yourself lost in the music.

I know Cabin Fever sucks, but, until our real heroes come up with the panacea we all can take to cure Covid. we are all at risk of sickness or even death.

This is the new reality. We have to deal with this.

Remember: Genius has limits, stupidity is infinite.

Don't be stupid!

I saw that concert setup in the news and thought, “ These dumb Brits! Not chairs, mattresses!”

I also think it makes it feel less like a human swarm. The light show looked good, too.

Its not about scoring points for effort just because we think entertainment is important its about outcome....and the outcome from any sort of mass gathering can only be bad.

its nice when everyone is seated and stays seated but whats it like coming in and going out? Are masks required during that time? what if people want to dance beside those platforms because thats what people will most likely try. Do they get a warning then maybe removed from the venue?
With my luck, i would be in the only platform behind the one with 10 people on it and all standing...

Pretty cool, I don't understand why each place woudl have to be elevated though? Poor UK weather and possible muddy ground?

Screw that. Living is about more than preserving biological life. Im willing to take the risk to live free, and you are free to stay home and stay "safe".
Im with this guy:

I just got finished playing an outdoor drive-in concert today (people sitting next to their cars/RVs). I have a sore throat and I did wear a mask. Granted, the mask didn't work well once it got moist, which was after about 15 minutes of use.

Unless those platforms are 15 to 20 feet apart from one another, it's not sufficient for social distancing given the latest studies that say that the aerosolized droplets can travel 16 feet. And the view from that particular camera shot is so far away you have to wonder why anyone would even consider attending such an event. You need binoculars to see who's on stage and even that is probably dubious at best. I don't see music performed at large venues anymore. It's just not worth the trouble. I'll see music in auditoriums such as the Beacon Theater in NYC but I have to have good seats within the first 20 rows of the orchestra and towards the center or in one of the first few rows of the mezzanine. But my favorite place to see music is in one of NYC's jazz clubs. There is nothing like seeing music in an intimate environment a few feet from the peformers and eating a nice dinner and having a few drinks. This picture just seems ridiculous to me. Discuss.

As an example I saw Pearl Jam at a venue on a foot high stage where I was so close I could practically touch the bassist all for $8. Why in the hell would I spend $125 to see them at some festival where they would be about the size of me holding my index finger in front of me?

My thoughts - is it ideal, or even attractive = hell no. I too doubt it's effectiveness - great to be on the downwind side of the audience, let alone the service logistics.

We all hope for a return to better times, but I do think something is potentially better than zero. If nothing else, it's throwing some crumbs of work to crews & other event workers, and potentially providing evidence (either good or bad) to assist moving forward in a sustainable way until a population based solution can be found.

It's funny. I never believed 6 ft was anywhere close to being good enough - see my analogy a few months back to watching one's exhaust float away on a cold winter morning.

I remember seeing that. While exhaust is not quite the same thing, all you would have to do is stand 6 feet away from someone while waiting on line and if you're like me, I never felt comfortable that I was a safe distance from the next person. Now we have some science to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's interesting that we can now get a clear view of the scope of societal mental health problems here in the US, as the afflicted are now out in full public view. This has been an analytic gold mine that will be taught in sociology and psychology classes for the next century.

Back