Discuss.

The aforementioned image delineates but one truth to me: In the name of achieving vague approximations of normalcy, the world is making an insufferable ass of itself. People want things both ways. "Let's gather in massive groups without the dangers of gathering in massive groups," the delusional suggest. A pandemic just doesn't grant that luxury. Where in a new era, folks. Our former ways of doing things should be on hold indefinitely. Live music isn't worth the related health risks at present, and I make that statement as a drummer who earns money from live music. Regardless, I'm also a drummer who doesn't retreat from reality. I can't help but conclude that the mere concept of any public gathering is irresponsible right now, and if you have to sit in a metal cage to attend a drab event posing as a festival, why not just stay home?
I'm getting tired of the use of the word "safe" right now. We must make everything safe, we want everyone to be safe. I'm not worried about my safety. I'm worried about my health.

My own personal safety is MY OWN responsibility. It's also my responsibility as an adult to conduct myself in a way that makes sure my actions dont hurt you. I dont think any of the people that are participating in any of this right now give a damn about anything except themselves.

Health is everybody. Your health effects me and conversely my health effects you. If I am sick, sneeze in my hand, then touch something you end up touching, you are sick now too. No one was unsafe or injured in the exchange.

While I'm at it, "new normal" is neither new or normal. New stuff isnt normal, and normal stuff isnt new. This is uncharted territory for current earth residents. Unless we want this crap to become normal, we need to ditch the "new way of doing things" and all just stay home. How is that so hard? Home is where everything I love is, why would I not want to be there?

I'm about ready to lose it over this. My anxiety can not handle much more of people acting stupidly. I'm to the point where I am wishing events like this get firebombed. No worry of the dead bringing the virus home.

Sturgis is going on right now. 250,000 no mask wearing, no social distancing, drunk ass drooling and slobbering all over each other people. Sound like a good spot for bomb testing to me. Those people obviously dont care about my health. So I dont care about what happens to them. Bombs away!

As a fat, sweaty person I'll go ahead and take this as my UN-invite to play your kit. It's better that we know now before we got too far. :cry:

As long as you're not drunk, rubbing up against or spilling beer on me, the offer is absolutely still good. I should have just said drunk, sweaty people, and I apologize if my comment offended you. If you really are overweight, don't let it get too out of hand as there are just so many health issues associated with it. As a bit of a fitness fanatic, I'll refrain from getting too preachy, but I've just seen too many people suffer from it.

I personally think it's cool that they are trying to make a way for this to work - and honestly as a concert goer those little boxes with seats is something I would have paid extra for at most festivals anyways just to get away from the crowds haha.

I'm with you there. I would have paid extra to have those as well, but would prefer them elevated a bit and just behind the normal standing crowd. I'm a short guy at 5'8" so standing in a crowd means standing on my tip toes and trying to peak around normal people's heads to even see the stage. Aside from the violation of personal space, that's the other reason I stay back.

I dont think any of the people that are participating in any of this right now give a damn about anything except themselves.

This attitude isn't anything new, that's for sure. I find that 99.99% of the people I've met and know my entire life only care about themselves. This just brings it more to light.

Sturgis is going on right now. 250,000 no mask wearing, no social distancing, drunk ass drooling and slobbering all over each other people. Sound like a good spot for bomb testing to me. Those people obviously dont care about my health. So I dont care about what happens to them. Bombs away!

Sturgis, for sure, will be an experiment in the unbridled transmission of infection. The rally is a cesspool even when we aren't in the midst of a pandemic, an assembly whose disregard for hygiene rivals that of Woodstock. This year, it's all but a voluntary death sentence. Rev 'em up and make 'em roar, fellas. You might be in for your final ride.

Personally i get much more inspired by people who still at least try to organize things like this for some live music to happen, than by a bunch of (musician..?) forum avatars who only complain..

Everyone who tries to organize cultural events, concerts, movie evenings, whatever, within the corona-rules, has my full support in times like these..

Personally i get much more inspired by people who still at least try to organize things like this for some live music to happen, than by a bunch of (musician..?) forum avatars who only complain..

Everyone who tries to organize cultural events, concerts, movie evenings, whatever, within the corona-rules, has my full support in times like these..

As a "(musician..?) forum avatar" I too applaud the effort, but I have yet to see it done successfully, within the corona-rules. It's impossible or improbable, at best.

Sturgis, for sure, will be an experiment in the unbridled transmission of infection. The rally is a cesspool even when we aren't in the midst of a pandemic, an assembly whose disregard for hygiene rivals that of Woodstock. This year, it's all but a voluntary death sentence. Rev 'em up and make 'em roar, fellas. You might be in for your final ride.
It just baffles me. How is this okay?

We have a bike festival here every September, Bikes, Blues, & BBQ. It is the largest US charity based bike rally, bringing near 400,000 people regularly. It was cancelled back in May I think. No uproar ensued.

It just baffles me. How is this okay?

We have a bike festival here every September, Bikes, Blues, & BBQ. It is the largest US charity based bike rally, bringing near 400,000 people regularly. It was cancelled back in May I think. No uproar ensued.

Unfortunately, definitions of "okay" vary widely. A broad range of behavior prevails. Protocols crumble as a result.

..successfully, within the corona-rules. It's impossible or improbable, at best..

Thats up to the visitors..

To me is simple..

Or people accept a (temporary) new reality and act according to that, or.....not..

I played again some gigs the past weeks and i am very happy about that..

Where those gigs how they used to be..?

No, they were not, but there is still a lot possible, if people just follow a few very easy rules..

Simple as that..

Btw, i wrote “(musician..?)“, because i would expect a little more sympathy for initiatives like this, especially from them..

I have no problem with this. Yes, it looks goofy, but I'll put up with a lot of goofiness to get out and play for folks. If people are happy with this and willing to pay for it and you have bands willing to play, then I say go for it. It's better than those drive-up concerts (which I may have some of those coming up myself in the near future).

I wonder if this set-up would be better suited with one of those 360° stages?
I think PorkPieGuy comment is very favorable idea... if this is their only available venue.

Every outdoor concert I've ever attended has been in a bowl like venue (and when it's indoor, I never seat on floor, unless it's a couple rows back.)
That being said, with this parking lot venue, it would be way better with stadium seating... each one of those platforms should be raised 6" above the one in front... thus making the back row about 20 stories tall.

Joking aside, this event is not to far from the local free concerts we attend each summer. Yes, very crowded, but the further you get away from the stage, people are more interested in socializing in their band of friends. I would say most people go to get out, hear music (not necessarily watch it), socialize and people watch.

PS: I would never pay to do something like this.

While I'm at it, "new normal" is neither new or normal. New stuff isnt normal, and normal stuff isnt new. This is uncharted territory for current earth residents. Unless we want this crap to become normal, we need to ditch the "new way of doing things" and all just stay home. How is that so hard? Home is where everything I love is, why would I not want to be there?

I'm about ready to lose it over this. My anxiety can not handle much more of people acting stupidly. I'm to the point where I am wishing events like this get firebombed. No worry of the dead bringing the virus home.

I'm with you here - I love my home and my family - so I'm ok taking a break - and I'm actually WAY more scared of people being insane right now the virus itself.

If the people in the audience where wearing masks, I don't see a problem with this.
HOWEVER, I see a big problem with this regarding entrance and exit of the crowd.
Yeah sure, give each unit time to enter and exit with no others moving around. Filling and emptying the venue would take about two days.... LOL

Solutions no matter how well intended can sometimes invoke the law of unintended consequences...

Looking at that photo, If I was an event coordinator or promoter a big concern I'd have would be emergency egress if mother nature turned severe rapidly and unexpectedly.
I played an outdoor summer festival once that was smashed by a severe afternoon thunderstorm when the sky turned bluish green and the wind clocked around from a different direction. The tent we we were under went airborne. People running everywhere like mad, we had to take shelter from the hail in the equipment truck.

Also in the states there may be an issue with ADA compliance if this is open to the public.

Last edited:
Solutions no matter how well intended can sometimes invoke the law of unintended consequences...

Even worse is when problems disguise themselves as solutions in an effort to gain mass appeal. Once Pandora's Box flings open, good luck getting it fastened again. Nothing is harder to reverse than bad decisions, particularly those with fatal ramifications.

I'm with you here - I love my home and my family - so I'm ok taking a break - and I'm actually WAY more scared of people being insane right now the virus itself.
Totally. The behaviors of each individual entity (person, business, local govt, whatever) are so varied across the board. I have no confidence in anything at this point other than staying home. Maybe if everyone was on the same page it would be different. But everyone is an expert all of a sudden, and those of us who look for some semblance of direction in ending this are not finding it. When the local govt tells me to do one thing, but Walmart wants me to do another, who is in charge exactly?

It's incredibly frustrating, and even somewhat confusing. I want no part of it.

Back