Discuss --------

I think for the most part it is overplayed and loses the groove. take 2.

I like the arrangement...singer has some serious pipes...but yeah, the drummer is a little busy. Nice playing though.

Perhaps the producer wanted it that way, and if he could give it to them the way they wanted it, then kudos to the drummer.

However, would I actually buy this recording and enjoy it in my car? No. The drumming is too disruptive to the rest of what the band is playing. If the song was completely rearranged to be something else, like if they made it a mambo, or reggae, or big band swing, then ok, the drumming will be different because of the genre. But the band isn't playing the song any different, and the song isn't much different from the original in feel.

It's funny, because when I hear Weckl or Colaiuta (or any of our masterful players) do the busy thing to songs they play on, it's so dang musical and it comes across very cool. This one did not give me that feeling.

The one thing the video was missing? Smiles all around from the players. They were so stressed having to concentrate on the time because they certainly weren't getting it from the drummer. Next.

I actually really enjoyed it.

It's a nice break to hear some great drumming that is still actually quite tasteful in a world where drummers are constantly being strangled into submission. He's obviously having a lot of fun being given the opportunity to cut loose, he's tight, and he sounds good.

Maybe there were one or two fills that seemed a little unnecessary, but that's probably because we're all so accustomed to having to play as little as possible. In short, we're all caught in the stranglehold that renders us disallowed to have any fun behind the kit, and now we're projecting it onto this guy :).

It's funny, because when I hear Weckl or Colaiuta (or any of our masterful players) do the busy thing to songs they play on, it's so dang musical and it comes across very cool. This one did not give me that feeling.

That's because it's hard to do it without losing the groove. REALLY hard.

I think I should get $100 off a Guru snare for every minute I spent watching that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch it a few more times until I can afford that snare.

It's only that song.
The other songs in the sessions have a good groove.
He stepped on the intro, and a bit frantic on the hats, but it's a drastically boring original song. It needs a strong push.

If it was played with the same feel of the original I would have clicked off and mumbled some sort of pfff.

I don't know if it is a Hip_hop thing, a rap thing, a gospel thing, just what, but when did all of this over playing begin? These are drummers with obvious skills, that are going so far beyond being a drummer and keeping the rhythm section in tow, that to me they are very distracting.

I think that was extreme overplayed - and his main snare sounds really bad to me.

Great musicians. Very nice interpretation of that song.
The drum part is little bit over played, however I think the main problem is in the way the recording was mixed. The drums are too loud.
I think a good recording engineer could take this recording and improve it by adjusting the level of things such as, more string instruments and less drums, etc.

Also, add some rhythm instruments: claves, conga, etc. Then the drummer would not need to be so busy.

Very skillful playing, but it's like ordering a meat lovers pizza with double meat and extra cheese - too much of too many good things.

Loved it. I think the drummer was Damien Schmitt. Bass player was Hadrien Feraud.

The cymbals didnt fit in though. Too much trash can for that song.

I'm more of a Pop/Rock fan so, another vote for over played

Obviously the drummer has a HUGE set of skills that is out of reach for players like me, but there are a lot of other instruments playing and I'd prefer if no one was dominating. Even with jazz arrangements, take your turn, then let someone else take the lead.

Very skillful playing, but it's like ordering a meat lovers pizza with double meat and extra cheese - too much of too many good things.

Now that is something I could get on board with :)

Great song. Great musicians. Sometimes two things that we like don't go well together....

Like Smoked Oysters and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream.

Back