Discovered a new snare sound

Genazvale

Ok, something cool happened today, gentlemen.

I'm trying to soundproof the room and decrease the noise level. So I decided to try different sticks too, not just walls :) So, decided to try rutes and made them at home before ordering, just to check if this something that worth to try. I tied 30sm skewers together and sat behind the kit.

Oh, man, FINALLY I heard the snare sound that I was always dreaming about, that I always tried to get out of my snare. OMG, it was "that" sound, guys. It's LM402 and this time it was a totally different drum. Needless to say that grooves and entire music changed drastically, as well as my playing.

Then I tried sticks again. No, a different thing. Still have ring, sustain, etc. but don't have that "burst" when I use my DIY rutes.

So, my question - is this possible to get the same sound I have from rutes with sticks? Tuning it higher doesn't give this effect. The sound is very similar to rim shot, but even sharper.

Sounds like you just need/want more damping/moon gels on your snare head. The reason you like the rutes is that they have a much longer time in contact with the head which works do deaden the overtones.

I wonder if you could bind the individual skewers together with heat shrink tubing. That keep them solid and you give a great gripping surface at the same time.

I wonder if you could bind the individual skewers together with heat shrink tubing. That keep them solid and you give a great gripping surface at the same time.
that's what I did. But used a kind of self-glued rubber tape. Anyway, should receive my hot rods in a few days.
Sounds like you just need/want more damping/moon gels on your snare head. The reason you like the rutes is that they have a much longer time in contact with the head which works do deaden the overtones.
I tried all available damping methods, even added gel to the rezo head and no, that's not what I need. Any damping kills the ring, but I want to have that ring.

Back