See this thread. I think the beat they're talking about is:

Code:
HH +o+o+o+o
SN --o---o-
BD o---o---
and variations of it.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I played full time Disco back in the 70's. The previous post was correct, four on the floor goes a long way. Also many of the tunes back then were played at 120bpm for dancing reasons. Also do NOT over play.

jungle

thanx. what about 16 notes on hi hat? now im fucked up with opening hi hat :) hehe
what about hiting bas in same time as snare

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think you have to feel the fills, not insert fill A into slot B.
Disco relies on a fairly simple approach whose strength is in the unchanging hypnotic beat. NEVER lose that beat, it's everything in disco. Fills are secondary to the beat. Don't rush either, relax and feel the groove and don't complicate things, instead, simplify. Don't try to impress anyone with your skills other than being able to play a funky beat for 10 minutes at a time and you'll be fine.

jungle

what when im playing 16 notes on hi hat. do i close my hi hat with foot on One two.... or on the "a" of one and two*?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
what when im playing 16 notes on hi hat. do i close my hi hat with foot on One two.... or on the "a" of one and two*?
8th or 16ths. The classic beat has the hats closing ON each 1/4 note and opening on the "a". It's easiest to just rock your left foot toe-heel rather than think about it.

Another classic disco beat can be heard in Cece Peniston's Finally.

Not sure how to explain that ... um ... four on the floor, normal backbeat with 16ths on the hats, leaving off each &-e-a. Again, I find it easier to think of the hats pattern as tick tick-a-tick tick-a-tick tick-a-tick than to think deeply about it.

jungle

im not thinking deeply about it, I'm trying to play it very slow with 16 notes :) When i open my hi hat on "n" do i hit "a" with my left hand while cymbal is open. uff does anybody understands question?:) try to play this pattern very slow and you will see

dairyairman

Platinum Member
here's a disco beat that i've actually had some trouble with. it's the beat from "that's the way i like it" by kc and the sunshine band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjY_ZZboaFg

what i've always had trouble with is playing those 16th note doubles on the bass drum where the second hit is louder than the first. it's also hard to keep the bass drum sixteenths synced up with the sixteenths you're playing with your hands on the hats. i think i've finally managed to master this groove but it was not something i just sat down and played.

Duracell

im not thinking deeply about it, I'm trying to play it very slow with 16 notes :) When i open my hi hat on "n" do i hit "a" with my left hand while cymbal is open. uff does anybody understands question?:) try to play this pattern very slow and you will see
I think I understand what you are trying to say. When you open the hi-hat on the " and " you hit the fully opened hi-hat on the " a " with your left hand. This only the case when you have a constant stream of 16ths on the hi-hat. Notice that in the beats hercraft transcribed you do not hit the hi-hat on the " a's " at all. You play these one handed (1e+;2e+;3e+;4e+).