Disappointed with Pearl Roadshow but it all turned out ok!

Now I'm broke AND (essentially) drum-less

This right here is the worst part of the story. I'm sorry you're in this spot.

This kit should have never been sent to you this way. I'm really surprised Sweetwater didn't QC it before it left their warehouse. Unless they had it drop shipped from Pearl?

Incidentally, was the packaging damaged when you received it? Just trying to imagine how the hoops were cracked.

This kit should have never been sent to you this way. I'm really surprised Sweetwater didn't QC it before it left their warehouse. Unless they had it drop shipped from Pearl?

Incidentally, was the packaging damaged when you received it? Just trying to imagine how the hoops were cracked.

It was opened and 'checked' by sweetwater (it was resealed with their tape and had their usual candy, magazine, and thank you letter). There was absolutely no damage to the outer box or any of the internal packaging components. In addition, the 10" tom was securely inside of two other drums with several layers of packaging in between each. External damage to cause that hoop crack would also cause noticable damage elsewhere. It's hard to tell in my pic but in person you can clearly tell that they tried to chrome plate over the crack.

Last edited:

I suspect Sweetwater doesn't unpack them before shipping them out. If they do, I'm sure it's a cursory peek. And that hoop - I think that's a manufacturing defect straight from the factory. QC *should* have caught it.

We are on the same page my friend. It's looking more and more like my return (if I can even get it done, keep being put on hold with sweetwater) will go towards a tama club jam.

I can't say I blame you. It's a tragedy, too, because Pearl makes truly great stuff. That they're losing a client over a mangled product that should never have shipped is a predicament that could have been averted. Quality control should be tarred and feathered for this fiasco.

Mr Cadillac, if you were closer I'd definitely let you borrow something... I have a bass drum, hats and stand, and a couple snare drums you could use until you get yours. Nothing fancy, but...
It's this continental thing that always gets in the way.

Mr Cadillac, if you were closer I'd definitely let you borrow something... I have a bass drum, hats and stand, and a couple snare drums you could use until you get yours. Nothing fancy, but...
It's this continental thing that always gets in the way.

I appreciate you saying that, I've got my tama cocktail jam that I can play (just choose not to because of personal hatred for it) so ultimately I'm going to respect the fact that 1. I did this to myself and 2. At the end of the day it's a first world problem.

I just stupid, I spend my whole day getting screamed at about stupid decisions my employer makes yet I put on a happy face, trudge through the crap, and try my best to help. It's such a let down how many people just don't care nor try.

*minor update 2*

'Amanda' at sweetwater customer service confirmed my sales guy put in the ticket for me and transferred me to 'tech support' where I waited on hold, again, and waited, and waited, and waited. Waited through my entire 30 minute lunch break in fact before giving up (I had to go back in to work) and putting in a call back request.

Geez. That is super frustrating. Bad grade all around for Pearl and Sweetwater on this one.

Another break at work and another opportunity to sit on hold with sweetwater for 15 minutes before having to give up and get back to work. Still no call back from a request I put in 3 hours ago or the 'ticket' that was submitted last night by my sales guy.

I even tried to sign up for PDF today because I hear 'Al Percival' is the guy to speak to over there... And they rejected me?

What in the holy hell is going on.. this can't be real.

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that neither Pearl nor Sweetwater has an employee (or more) whose job is to keep an eye on the various drum forums, for just such occasions as this. Yet, pretty clearly, they do not.

Last edited:
The tom arms are in charge now. ☠

This is a bad situation all around, but Sweetwater will take care of you. I have no idea what could be going on over there, other than the aforementioned tom arms seizing control, but it will get resolved.

Another break at work and another opportunity to sit on hold with sweetwater for 15 minutes before having to give up and get back to work. Still no call back from a request I put in 3 hours ago or the 'ticket' that was submitted last night by my sales guy.

I even tried to sign up for PDF today because I hear 'Al Percival' is the guy to speak to over there... And they rejected me?

I'm simply staggered by your struggles, Ron. As I've explained, both Sweetwater and Pearl have always been nothing but accommodating and prompt in my dealings with them. I've only had to conduct one return with Sweetwater, and they processed my request in a matter of minutes, no questions asked. They didn't expect me to return the old product until I'd received the replacement, and they covered shipping all around -- simple, efficient, and trustworthy. That you can't even get someone on the phone is beyond defense.

As for Pearl, I've spoken with the Nashville folks on several occasions, and my experiences have always been positive. That's yet another reason I've stuck with the brand so long. The only vibe I've ever gotten from Pearl is "We're glad you're loyal and want to retain you." That you feel disregarded is troubling.

I'm simply staggered by your struggles, Ron. As I've explained, both Sweetwater and Pearl have always been nothing but accommodating and prompt in my dealings with them. I've only had to conduct one return with Sweetwater, and they processed my request in a matter of minutes, no questions asked. They didn't expect me to return the old product until I'd received the replacement, and they covered shipping all around -- simple, efficient, and trustworthy. That you can't even get someone on the phone is beyond defense.

As for Pearl, I've spoken with the Nashville folks on several occasions, and my experiences have always been positive. That's yet another reason I've stuck with the brand so long. The only vibe I've ever gotten from Pearl is "We're glad you're loyal and want to retain you." That you feel disregarded is troubling.

That's what I'm saying man, it doesn't even feel real. I feel like this is all some joke and tomorrow I'll get a call like, "haha, jk, we got you".

At this point I just want to hit reset, get my $419 back, pretend I never even ordered it, and resume staring at my tama cocktail jam with an evil look but never playing it. This whole experience is just killing my motivation to even play drums (further then the cocktail kit).

Again, I'm trying to be realistic... I did this to myself and if I just kept the damn midtown I never even would have gone through this mess.

We're all just spoiled by Amazon "sure, whatever you want, we don't care, please keep being a prime member!", We forget how everyone else does customer service haha.

We're all just spoiled by Amazon "sure, whatever you want, we don't care, please keep being a prime member!", We forget how everyone else does customer service haha.

Ron this has been hard to watch.

I'm a big fan of being a squeaky wheel.

At this point I would consolidate all your thoughts and your original order documentation into an email with the following people involved:

[email protected] [[email protected]]
Ryan Thorpe <[email protected]>

And whatever customer service email you may have uncovered in your request - toss a high importance flag on there and cite this page as your guide:

If we determine the unit failed under warranty within 30 days of purchase, we will cover shipping costs within the US to replace the unit for you.

All you'll be asking for is either a like kind exchange (if you wanted to try another version of that kit...which I'm not sure I would) or a refund - which they should be able to process no problem.

While I doubt that Chuck or Ryan check those emails often - the person that does might be scared enough to see who is on the list that they can take action.

My final piece of advise is the same I remind myself of anytime I have issues like this : It's not a matter of IF it will get taken care of, but when. So just take a moment and relax and you'll get this straightened out.

I, like many, am surprised at Pearl's QC on this unit and REALLY surprised at the length of time Sweetwater has taken to respond...usually they've been super quick for me.

Retailers don’t unpack items and inspect them, and in Sweetwaters case, someone just opened the box to put their items in and resealed it. It’s the factory’s job to QC the product(s) before shipping. Apparently the workers at the China factory don’t give a damn. Pearls response is disappointing to say the least.
Call Pearl Nashville back and request to speak to Al Percival.

Back