Disappointed with Pearl Roadshow but it all turned out ok!

roncadillac

I want to share my Roadshow support experience here. I think I made a brief reference but without details.

I own 2 Roadshow kits, and I have loved them. With heads replaced and a proper tuning, they sound great, and they are nice and light. I found them to be the perfect gig kits.

After some years, one kit developed a crack in the bass drum. I don't remember exactly how many years I had it at the time, but it was a few/several - I'm sure it was more than whatever the warranty might be on those drums. I wrote to Pearl, not called, the response was immediate and quite satisfying. They asked me to send a picture of it. After I sent that, they immediately said they would replace the bass drum. The only caveat was that it would take a significant amount of time, because they needed to special order a bass drum only from the factory.

It did indeed take a few months, but they shipped me a brand new, perfect Roadshow bass drum - with not even a mention of shipping.

Over the years, I have had several situations where I reached out to them for some kind of support, and the support was always stellar.

Glad to hear the story of this thread ends the way it should.

Thanks for sharing! That is definitely great service!

C.M. Jones

And now we can switch efforts to search and rescue because I'm pretty sure @C.M. Jones is still floating out in space somewhere waiting to hear of the restored faith in Pearl drums ;)

I am inexpressibly delighted (and inarticulately relieved) that this pernicious narrative has finally reached a joyous conclusion. For days that have masqueraded as months, I've been curled in a corner in a catatonic state, unable so much as to blink an eye for fear that the ceiling might cave in on me. Alas, having received news of this delinquent resolution, harrowing though its cultivation proved to be, I can step forth into daylight with a renewed air of confidence and a soothing sense of safety. Most important, I can once again gaze upon my multiple Pearl products, squinting to shade my eyes from the enormity of their majesty, with the familiar spirit of speechless admiration that has always infused me in their presence. The candles that illuminate my Pearl tabernacle shall be afire with pride once more!

Please guard your new Midtown like a National Gallery exhibit. If a second tragedy unfolds, I'll be in need of a substantial shipment of barbiturates, as well as several rounds of sobering shock treatment. A man can only take so much, and this ordeal pushed me to the border of despair. I'm off now to reacquaint myself with reality. I don't quite recognize it, which is probably why it looks more appealing than I recall.

roncadillac

I am inexpressibly delighted (and inarticulately relieved) that this pernicious narrative has finally reached a joyous conclusion. For days that have masqueraded as months, I've been curled in a corner in a catatonic state, unable so much as to blink an eye for fear that the ceiling might cave in on me. Alas, having received news of this delinquent resolution, harrowing though its cultivation proved to be, I can step forth into daylight with a renewed air of confidence and a soothing sense of safety. Most important, I can once again gaze upon my multiple Pearl products, squinting to shade my eyes from the enormity of their majesty, with the familiar spirit of speechless admiration that has always infused me in their presence. The candles that illuminate my Pearl tabernacle shall be afire with pride once more!

Please guard your new Midtown like a National Gallery exhibit. If a second tragedy unfolds, I'll be in need of a substantial shipment of barbiturates, as well as several rounds of sobering shock treatment. A man can only take so much, and this ordeal pushed me to the border of despair. I'm off now to reacquaint myself with reality. I don't quite recognize it, which is probably why it looks more appealing than I recall.

Damn, well that's how you build a narrative

roncadillac

Sorry for the delay in update, work has been crazy. Anyway, the midtown is fine.. no issues at all. No news is good news, right? Lol.

I have however been doing a lot of 'mod' work (so to speak) and getting the kit to where I intended to take my prior one. Calftone batter and reso on the toms and bass drum, calftone over 300 clear on the snare, just got my 'fluffy' beater in today and my new pearl c150s flat based ride stand will be here in a few days. Pics at some point in the near future.

I'm cheesin' like a kid :)

Last edited:

JDFaulky

I'm shocked Sweetwater didn't do more for you than a simple return. Usually they bend over backwards for their customers. I feel like they could have at least hooked you up with an Export at a discount or something.

When I bought my Pearl Decade kit from them, it was shipped to me with a bent snare hoop. When I emailed my sales rep he had a replacement hoop at my house the very next day and apologized profusely.

I also own a Roadshow. Given, it's been sitting in my garage for quite awhile, but it was my first drum kit I ever owned and it didn't have any of the issues you described and was a solid kit. The only issues I had with it was that the shells were hard to tune cause the lugs were kinda cheap. I had to grease them a lot or I felt like I was going to break them.

Aside from that, if you throw good heads on them and combine the kit with some good cymbals, you could do much worse.