Direct drive pedal fram Tama

Looks great to me. Tama's engineers are briliant. I doubt they would throw something together just to compete with other DD. If that was their intent they would have done it long before now.
I'd buy one if I wasn't already thrilled with my Axis.

Looks interesting. I like the swivel spring function. Seems like it would allow the spring to do it's job without over stressing the spring, thus keeping the spring feel fairly even throughout the entire pedal stroke.

The adjustable footboard angle hinge looks like a weakpoint to me though. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first part to wear out. I get that the footboard can't be adjusted via cam due to the DD. There is gonna be a lot of force over time for that part to deal with. Guess only time will tell.

Oh great, now I've got to start saving up for that new pedal. Lets see what can I sell. I've always wanted to try a direct drive, but not bad enough to buy an Axis double. I've got a speed cobra now. I bet these are pretty pricey also.

Oh great, now I've got to start saving up for that new pedal. Lets see what can I sell. I've always wanted to try a direct drive, but not bad enough to buy an Axis double. I've got a speed cobra now. I bet these are pretty pricey also.

Musician's Friend has them listed for $699 I believe. Yeah...if they were cheaper I'd get them as soon as they release, but I've never owned or played direct drives much. Guess I'll wait to see what the consensus is on them, but I am a huge fan of Tama hardware engineering.

Saw this posted on a different forum yesterday. I had previously watched a video about another brand's direct drive pedal. The review was very explanatory, done by Sweetwater.

The direct drive, regardless of brand, seems like it would increase punch and reduce any problems with speed. They look awesome.

Man, this looks really neat. This is the first time I've gotten excited about a pedal since I got my Iron Cobra years and years ago. This looks like it was exceptionally well thought out. I'm a single pedal guy so it looks like it's going to be $350 if I ever feel like ponying up the cash for one, but it might be worth it.

Hmm, about the same price for the single as the magnetic pedal: tough choice for me....in the future!

That's a great piece of engineering, with a matching price point. It's steep, but I'm sure that pedal will play great.

Direct drive pedals are unique and not for everyone. I play heel down, and I personally think that direct drive pedals are perfect for heel down players. I can play any pedal, and I own several with all kinds of drives and mechanisms (strap, single chain, double chain, Speed King etc.), but I feel most "at home" with a direct drive. I have the Yamaha flying dragon direct drive and I love it.

It's hard to explain, but to me, the direct drive is the only pedal where the upstroke feels exactly like the downstroke. Compared to playing heel up, it's harder to get consistently more raw power playing heel down and I feel that the direct drive helps me get that little more "oomph" I need without having to go heels up "stomp mode".

I recommend everyone try a direct drive at some point, just to see how it feels to you. I triple the recommendation if you are a heel down player.

V

It's hard to explain, but to me, the direct drive is the only pedal where the upstroke feels exactly like the downstroke.
Actually, a direct drive's stroke is not linear. The beater's motion is not directly proportional to the pedals motion. As the pedal is depressed further, the beater's motion slows down. This new Tama pedal attempts to compensate for that somewhat by allowing more points of adjustment, but it will still never feel as "linear" as a round cam.

Back