Difficult snare piece for uni audition

gusty

Platinum Member
Could anyone recommend me a specific challenging snare piece for a uni (collage) audition? I was thinking a Wilcoxen but not sure out of which book.

Caddy has some good suggestions. You can also look into Cirone's Portraits in Rhythm for orchestral and Pratt's books for rudimental.

If they only ask for one snare piece, I would assume they want an orchestral piece.

Also, make sure to work with a teacher for this. A good teacher will have prepeared many other students for university audition and be able to choose a piece that highlights your strengths.

Jeff

What does the college audition list say? The colleges here have a list they'd like to hear. Contact the school percussion instructor and ask if there is a list. Delecluse, Cirone, Mitchell Peters and pretty big on the orchestral list and Pratt and Wilcoxen for the rudimental stuff.

'3 contrasting pieces'

I'm thinking A Train, a samba and need a challenging snare piece on recommendation from a student at the uni and more importantly one of the professors.

Yeah, just something that displays technical ability on a snare without going stupid.

If you want a really difficult piece, I would suggest a couple of Mitch Markovich solos: Stamina and Tornado. Those are brutal, though, so they may be more than you want to prepare for.

By rights, Gusty should be just about finished uni. I'll wager there's been a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since the snare audition.

Haha, how funny coming back to old threads :p Didn't finish that particular uni course, swapped to a different one, but now about a month away from my first cruise gig in the caribbean. And definitely a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since then ;)

Haha, how funny coming back to old threads :p Didn't finish that particular uni course, swapped to a different one, but now about a month away from my first cruise gig in the caribbean. And definitely a hell of a lot of water under the bridge since then ;)

Good for you! :-D

Should you ever find yourself in my corner of the Caribbean, shoot me a PM. We'll have a face to face.

Back