different type of wood shells - how does it affect sound?

veecharlie

Hello everybody,

Recently I was in the Ludwig's website when I compared the differences of the shells between the Legacy Classic Maple and the Classic Maple series shells. I have tried to listen videos about both drums to hear the difference but that was barely possible. So now I wonder:
How does the classic maple compared to the more expensive legacy maple affect sound? (What is the difference on the shells sound?)
Thanks in advance..

They are both maple, so maybe they used different bearing edges. Seeing as they are both maple, why would you wonder if the species of wood is making a difference?

Hi! Well, because the shape of the shell is different. The more expensive model has a ring of wood above the layers already there. The edges of the shell are also different.. So that's the wondering part..

Generally speaking, the harder wood will sound brighter, if you are looking for warm wood sound, look into a walnut shell. Ludwig makes a maple/walnut that is reasonably priced and sounds great.

So the CM is a 7ply all maple shell with sharp inside 45 edges. The Legacy is a 3ply maple/poplar/maple with re-rings and vintage round over edges.

Thanks for clarifying the construction. I would now guess the thicker shell with no rerings would be a louder drum, maybe sharper attack whereas the traditional 3 ply with the rings would be a more resonant and smooth sounding drum. But there are so many other factors that can shape and affect the tone and playability.

I had 2 shells built for me of walnut/cedar, walnut/ cedar/ wanut. One had rings the other did not. Cant explain how sensitive yet beefy they are. I wasn,t sure what to expect as it was more of a "trial" Sure glad I gambled.

Back