Different reso weights for different toms?

roncadillac

Not a bad idea to go concert tom, except it would change the miking procedure from clip-ons to stands with booms. Our crew doesn't like surprises.
😮
Totally understand, couldn't help but razz a bit as your collection of concert tom kits is museum worthy! I haven't played around with different reso's too much but the floor tom on my pearl midtown kit rings forever and any level of dampening would kill the tone but not the ring. Even the Evans reso7 didn't help at all. I swapped the reso for a soundoff mesh head and boom, immediate fix. Concert style toms have always been a reliable and pleasing solution for me, this very well may have been my last attempt with double head toms (at almost 20 years into drumming lol).

Your theory makes sense though and I'm curious to hear how it works out... Literally, please come to Orlando when the world is 'normal' again cause Al and Y'all seriously put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Given that a 12" tom and a 16" fl tom (for example) vibrate heads differently based on diameter and shell volume, I figured it might make sense to use thinner weight resos on 10-12" toms, med weight on 13-14", and heavier weight 16-18" toms, so that the vibe would be more consistent across the toms. For Evans, that could be G1, G12 and G14 respectively, with the batter staying the same on all.

Has anyone tried this, or am I going to be the guinea pig?

Bermuda
What is the verdict? I have wanted to experiment with this, but up here in Canada heads are WAY to expensive to do it if I end up not enjoying it.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Given that a 12" tom and a 16" fl tom (for example) vibrate heads differently based on diameter and shell volume, I figured it might make sense to use thinner weight resos on 10-12" toms, med weight on 13-14", and heavier weight 16-18" toms, so that the vibe would be more consistent across the toms. For Evans, that could be G1, G12 and G14 respectively, with the batter staying the same on all.

Bermuda
Have you tried EC Resos before? I really like them because they seem to pull a little more sustain and a lower fundamental tone out of a drum. It's certainly one more tool in the tool box to consider, other than just increasing film weight.

I've experimented with thinner heads on smaller toms on the batter side, but I have to admit for as much thought as I've put into having graduated head thicknesses on the whole kit I've never really considered doing it in the same way for the reso side.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if a big floor tom might not benefit from a thinner reso as compared to the smaller toms. Big drums will naturally ring more, so a thinner reso might trim that a bit, but the bigger drums might also benefit from a reso head that's easier to excite.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I've done coated G1's as resos, clear G1's, Genera Resos and EC Resos. My favorite are the Genera Resos. They work for pretty much everything unless you want a really warm tone. Then go with coated G1's. The EC Resos I use on my Saturn kit because it has some of the sharpest bearing edges of any drum ever made. I needed to cut out some of the ringing in the floor toms but not reduce their sustain very much.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
After weeks of promising myself I'd experiment, I finally did... with one tom to start (13" Neusonic, cherry inner plies, maple outer plies.) It has a UV1 batter and started with a Reso7 (7mil coated resonant.) I changed the reso for a clear G14, a 14mil single ply head that's twice the weight/thickness of the Reso7.

Wow, it was a HUGE difference in sustain, rather annoyingly long in fact! Now the question is to see if I should find a middle ground with a G12 (12mil) or G1 (10mil) instead, or use some damping as needed when mic'd. Although I think it will sound great in an acoustic gigging context. Still need to see how the 16" reacts, and I certainly don't mind using different weights on the different sizes.

Thank you all for opening my ears to this! Given this newly-found sustain, I now have a related damping question which I'll pose in a fresh thread.

Bermuda

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
After weeks of promising myself I'd experiment, I finally did... with one tom to start (13" Neusonic, cherry inner plies, maple outer plies.) It has a UV1 batter and started with a Reso7 (7mil coated resonant.) I changed the reso for a clear G14, a 14mil single ply head that's twice the weight/thickness of the Reso7.

Wow, it was a HUGE difference in sustain, rather annoyingly long in fact! Now the question is to see if I should find a middle ground with a G12 (12mil) or G1 (10mil) instead, or use some damping as needed when mic'd. Although I think it will sound great in an acoustic gigging context. Still need to see how the 16" reacts, and I certainly don't mind using different weights on the different sizes.

Thank you all for opening my ears to this! Given this newly-found sustain, I now have a related damping question which I'll pose in a fresh thread.

Bermuda
Any change in tone? More low frequencies? Less?

Instead of G1 try Genera reso heads. 10mil but designed as a reso head.

When I tried reso 7 heads, I used them with UV1 batters and I was disappointed. My drums sounded thin, loss of lower frequencies. But a shorter sustain.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Any change in tone? More low frequencies? Less?
The only real change was the sustain, there was already a nice low-end and tone I guess thanks to the cherry plies. That's the main reason I'm digging the Neusonics, lots of tone even with the cheap stock UT (Remo Taiwan) heads. That's what lured me to them in the first place!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity, is it just not easier to put on some moon gel on the reso head? I’ve been using Skabs and placing them (one each) on my FT resos to control their overly long sustain. I move them away from the rim more, depending on size and they have stuck on for months.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member

Bermuda
A thicker single ply reso on a floor would probably resonate more, not less. A 2 ply might be a better option for the bigger drums

incrementalg

Gold Member
I’ve been using UV1 on batter side all around with G1 clear on my 12” reso and G2 clears on my 14” and 16” floors. Sounds great. The floors have a more clear tone and don’t appear to have lost any resonance. I diecide to try heavier reso on the floors because they were a bit unruly sounding in terms of overtones and almost warbly sounding. The heavier reso focused the tone.